N20 5.0 GT, 11 GT500, Turbo 05 GT, Eaton Mach 1, HCI 01 SS, 10 SS, etc

04nccobra

Established Member
Why don't you watch the videos above of a supercharged Camaro making 575hp nearly dead even with a stock GT500.

GT500 3800lbs 550hp - capable of 120mph+ traps if the driver can actually drive the car.

Camaro 3860lbs 450hp - Capable of 113-114mph traps.

The Camaro should have gotten raped, but it didn't. Oh well. :beer:

Did you purposely skip over all the other video test that say that the 11 GT500 stock is a mid 12 second ride that traps in the 115 mph range in your quest to find the single video that says it may be faster? Just curious:shrug:

black2kstang

Established Member
Smart asses.... Lol. I didn't wanna ask to see dig runs and him post a dig street race. Hence why I said track digs...

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Did you purposely skip over all the other video test that say that the 11 GT500 stock is a mid 12 second ride that traps in the 115 mph range in your quest to find the single video that says it may be faster? Just curious:shrug:

I only know of ONE test video where it ran a 12.5@115mph, I know of 5 others, (including 2010s) of members just on this forum running low 12s and 11s@118-123mph+ stock.

Coincidentally, MT who posted that mid 12 second time trapped 118mph last year in a 2010 that was less powerful and 120lbs heavier.

Go visit the GT500 section. For every 2011 GT500 running mid 12s or slower there is a new Camaro running high 13s.

I just think the GT500 didn't perform like it should have, that's all.

Last edited:

jlbush

Established Member
I only know of ONE test video where it ran a 12.5@115mph, I know of 5 others, (including 2010s) of members just on this forum running low 12s and 11s@118-123mph+ stock.

Coincidentally, MT who posted that mid 12 second time trapped 118mph last year in a 2010 that was less powerful and 120lbs heavier.

Go visit the GT500 section. For every 2011 GT500 running mid 12s or slower there is a new Camaro running high 13s.

I just think the GT500 didn't perform like it should have, that's all.

Thank you, you've have had good posts all through this thread.

I love how Chevy guys jump on Ford guys and just say we can't accept that a mustang gets beat. It's not about that, it's about it looking VERY SUSPICOUS that the camaro beat the shelby. However, I will say that with roll races it amazes me what the jump will do and how it can take a bit to reel them in. Heat soak and driver could have a lot to do with it too, BUT I find it very hard to believe that even a crappy driver and heat soak couldn't beat a LT/CAI '10 SS. I mean we're talking about a 550hp car that weighs less than a 426hp car. Is it even a comparison normally? Hell, if I had the '11 GT 500 I would feel bad picking on a '10 SS camaro lol...

If a SS ZL1 (or whatever it is of the vid with the 575hp blown SS) beat a new 5.0 factory freak with just LT/CAI, I would not call anybody a hater or 'you're just mad that a Ford beats the Chevy' who speculates more was done to the 5.0...I would say hell no something looks fishy here and thats coming from a ford guy (really I like anything domestic, but mainly a ford guy)

Now, I'll really be hunting around for another new SS :thumbsup: ...I'm more scared of the older SS/Trans Ams :rockon: No disrespect to any of the new SS owners and I'm DEFINITELY not even close to the baddest thing out on the street, but I welcome any '10 or newer N/A non-nitrous Camaro

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You do realize that an SS with longtubes can put down upwards of 425rwhp right? What does a stock GT500 put down? Add in the fact that the LS3 pulls very hard up top compared to a standing start, driver ability, heat soak, plus the jump... it's not rocket science.

04nccobra

Established Member

I love how Chevy guys jump on Ford guys and just say we can't accept that a mustang gets beat. It's not about that, it's about it looking VERY SUSPICOUS that the camaro beat the shelby. However, I will say that with roll races it amazes me what the jump will do and how it can take a bit to reel them in. Heat soak and driver could have a lot to do with it too, BUT I find it very hard to believe that even a crappy driver and heat soak couldn't beat a LT/CAI '10 SS. I mean we're talking about a 550hp car that weighs less than a 426hp car. Is it even a comparison normally? Hell, if I had the '11 GT 500 I would feel bad picking on a '10 SS camaro lol...

If a SS ZL1 (or whatever it is of the vid with the 575hp blown SS) beat a new 5.0 factory freak with just LT/CAI, I would not call anybody a hater or 'you're just mad that a Ford beats the Chevy' who speculates more was done to the 5.0...I would say hell no something looks fishy here and thats coming from a ford guy (really I like anything domestic, but mainly a ford guy)

Now, I'll really be hunting around for another new SS :thumbsup: ...I'm more scared of the older SS/Trans Ams :rockon: No disrespect to any of the new SS owners and I'm DEFINITELY not even close to the baddest thing out on the street, but I welcome any '10 or newer N/A non-nitrous Camaro

My 04 Cobra was setup very similar to yours with the 2.8 pulley and tune, and yes it would beat my near stock 10SS if all went well but not by much and my Cobra had 14lbs of boost, the Camaro is much easier to hook and launch with than the Cobra was, my SVT had great hp numbers, great mph at the strip, and dissapointing E/Ts. If my Cobra was heat soaked it would loose.

Nobody here is claiming that a header only Camaro is faster than a 11 GT500but under the right conditions it can happen. :beer:

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member

How is the GT500 lighter? There were TWO people in it, not one like the SS. That was the 4th run in a row, so it was heat soaked pretty good. He has only ran 12.6@115 in it, although his 1/8 numbers have picked up some since then. It put down 487 rwhp in the winter stock. The SS guy said his car made 402 rwhp.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Does no one read the post before they post. The gt500 put down 490ish to the wheels. 550 is fwhp. Add heat soak and a passenger and the ss gettin the hit and there you go. Like in another one of the runs the cobra pulled away from the ss and the cobra and gt500 run side by side.

jlbush

Established Member
You do realize that an SS with longtubes can put down upwards of 425rwhp right? What does a stock GT500 put down? Add in the fact that the LS3 pulls very hard up top compared to a standing start, driver ability, heat soak, plus the jump... it's not rocket science.

I don't lurk the GT 500 boards at all or have I checked what they typically dyno stock, but what I do know is that headers and a CAI don't take you from 426 to 550. Plus, the '11 GT 500 is a tad lighter anyway. Yes, I now realize it wasn't lighter due to the passenger, but I got the impression from several posts that it's common practice for a '10 SS to beat/keep up with a GT500 and that was the reason for my post. However, with heat soak like a lot of people have pointed out and the jump I can see the SS beating it. A lot of those details (passenger, heat soak, etc) didn't come out though when there were posts about the Camaro beating the Shelby and how it was almost not surprising. Atleast the was the impression I got :shrug:

My 04 Cobra was setup very similar to yours with the 2.8 pulley and tune, and yes it would beat my near stock 10SS if all went well but not by much and my Cobra had 14lbs of boost, the Camaro is much easier to hook and launch with than the Cobra was, my SVT had great hp numbers, great mph at the strip, and dissapointing E/Ts. If my Cobra was heat soaked it would loose.

Nobody here is claiming that a header only Camaro is faster than a 11 GT500but under the right conditions it can happen. :beer:

I've only ran into one new camaro ss on the street that ran against me and I'm not trying to sound cocky, but from a 3rd gear pull at around 60 I killed him and was not impressed. I definitely know heat soak plays a major role because I lost against my cousin's blown fox like that :nonono:, but beat him pretty badly at the track.

Ok and that's all I was trying to point out because like I just said I got the impression that it wasn't that surprising. And, yes, anything can happen on the street/certain conditions. Hell I've seen an EVO and Eclipse beat old school muscle cars down in Miami :lol:

How is the GT500 lighter? There were TWO people in it, not one like the SS. That was the 4th run in a row, so it was heat soaked pretty good. He has only ran 12.6@115 in it, although his 1/8 numbers have picked up some since then. It put down 487 rwhp in the winter stock. The SS guy said his car made 402 rwhp.

Sorry, I read the entire thread, but forgot the passenger part which will make the GT 500 heavier in that situation. Obviously, there were a lot of different things in favor for the SS and my main point was just to say that's not common and I don't see why people are attacking some "Ford guys" because we think it sounds suspicous. Now, that I know of the heat soak, passenger, and a good driver in the SS it's not so hard to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread