My Turbo Build. 2003 Sonic Blue Vert

drusmith

Established Member
Do you have any updates after the new motor was installed?

Yeah, it blew up again. Melted the back straps on #1 & #8 spark plugs. Tune was junk. Drivability was why off, horrible tuner at Steve Morris engines. They have no idea how to tune fuel injection engines. I tried working with them but they said come get your car with a trailer.

Current state of Cobra: heads are at Livernois, stage 2 with turbo cams for some fun. Short block is at my Mechanics shot along with trans. Car turbo and intake is at my house. Lol crazy
Car has JE pistons also. Should be good to go for some good power. Tune will be done by Livernois as well since Lidio at Alternative never return my calls...

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Yeah, it blew up again. Melted the back straps on #1 & #8 spark plugs. Tune was junk. Drivability was why off, horrible tuner at Steve Morris engines. They have no idea how to tune fuel injection engines. I tried working with them but they said come get your car with a trailer.

Current state of Cobra: heads are at Livernois, stage 2 with turbo cams for some fun. Short block is at my Mechanics shot along with trans. Car turbo and intake is at my house. Lol crazy
Car has JE pistons also. Should be good to go for some good power. Tune will be done by Livernois as well since Lidio at Alternative never return my calls...

Sorry that you've had a bad experience. I had my tune done at CRT Performance in Norwalk OH on my turbo car, Jeff is the guy who does all the tune and is the owner. Very knowledgeable and is slightly conservative on tuning to make things safe. You might want to give him a call, they are good about answering the phones and returning calls.

drusmith

Established Member
Sorry that you've had a bad experience. I had my tune done at CRT Performance in Norwalk OH on my turbo car, Jeff is the guy who does all the tune and is the owner. Very knowledgeable and is slightly conservative on tuning to make things safe. You might want to give him a call, they are good about answering the phones and returning calls.

hey you have same Turbo and trans as I do! Have you been to the drag strip with it yet?

MGC

Established Member

Damn Drew that sucks hardcore, :nonono: Lidio is good with pullied cars but I wouldn't bring a turbo cobra to him... I think Livernois will treat you good, wouldn't hurt to check out static74's tuner, his car runs like a raped ape

drusmith

Established Member
Damn Drew that sucks hardcore, :nonono: Lidio is good with pullied cars but I wouldn't bring a turbo cobra to him... I think Livernois will treat you good, wouldn't hurt to check out static74's tuner, his car runs like a raped ape

Thanks bro! How is your car running? go auto yet? ;-)
yeah, I will get even! :kaboom:

yeah, texting with Chris from Livernois now. 1 Head needs welding, 1 new guide and 1 new seat.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
No track time yet, work schedule has done a fantastic job at preventing that this year. I plan to go to Milan before the end of the month.

Drusmith, honestly man, give CRT a call. You won't regret it. Tell him some power whore with a turbo mach 1 sent you over.

Good pick on the turbo BTW - its been good to me so far. I did run into an issue with the seals leaking on it recently though, going to have to send it in for repair after the season is over.

drusmith

Established Member
No track time yet, work schedule has done a fantastic job at preventing that this year. I plan to go to Milan before the end of the month.

Drusmith, honestly man, give CRT a call. You won't regret it. Tell him some power whore with a turbo mach 1 sent you over.

Good pick on the turbo BTW - its been good to me so far. I did run into an issue with the seals leaking on it recently though, going to have to send it in for repair after the season is over.

yeah, I might give him a call! Kinda a long drive on trailer tho. that'5 4.5 hours from Grand rapids.

I will keep and eye on seal! My car did smoke a lot but the tune was so far jacked I couldn't even tell. lol

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
yeah, I might give him a call! Kinda a long drive on trailer tho. that'5 4.5 hours from Grand rapids.

I will keep and eye on seal! My car did smoke a lot but the tune was so far jacked I couldn't even tell. lol

Mine would smoke on cold start up after the exhaust was hot, but oil was still cold. I would see 60-70 psi of oil pressure when it would smoke, once the oil was hot and down to 15-20PSI at idle, no more smoke. So if it smokes a lot when its cold, you know what it is.

drusmith

Established Member
Mine would smoke on cold start up after the exhaust was hot, but oil was still cold. I would see 60-70 psi of oil pressure when it would smoke, once the oil was hot and down to 15-20PSI at idle, no more smoke. So if it smokes a lot when its cold, you know what it is.

Good to know! Thanks!

I will keep this thread updated as I move forward! The summer has been too busy to get this thing on the road and that takes lots of Money of course too!

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your troubles man. I too had lots of troubles back several years ago so I know the pain. I still recommend the switch to e85, chances are very good it could have saved you two motors here despite the bad tuner. Good luck getting it back up and running.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
E85 man, it will save you from a 3rd motor...

Hope it all works for you bud, the build looks great.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I know your pains. im on motor #3 myself. ive had 0 street miles and only dyno time. im so ready for my car to be done and be able to drive it.

I don't understand how this stuff happens and it just makes me want to sell my car sometimes.

don't give up hope. just find someone with turbo experience and let them finish the car up right.

drusmith

Established Member
Update on my Cobra:

Well I wish i could say it was good news. Its not.

1_zpsd6bc571e.jpg

2_zps290f53ec.jpg

3_zps26aff39b.jpg

IMG_0003_zps4bd1082c.jpg

4_zps91439db2.jpg

6_zpsdac9f782.jpg

7_zps6f998ea2.jpg

8_zps47a35aaf.jpg

IMG_0005_zpsd2f18761.jpg

3f38e1af-6ce8-4f86-a38a-243b469c5cb2_zpsa462ee90.jpg

a7f3f292-3df8-42e9-8192-287cec7728a8_zpsbf0c238a.jpg

th_IMG_7182_zpsa218fad4.jpg

1plugmelted_zpsb567b1be.jpg

IMG_7183_zps2524d195.jpg

IMG_7180_zpsa8cba584.jpg

IMG_7181_zpsbb024b2c.jpg

IMG_7179_zps5c847b90.jpg

2897a915-e974-457f-a737-b412c41db45f_zpsc5db7d05.jpg

Good news:

new 5.4L block

new54Lblock_zpsff2d8b62.jpg

New stage 2 heads from Livernois with stage 1 turbo cams:

image_zpsbe1b9613.jpg

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
Jesus Christ Drew, what a ****ing hackjob they did. You can believe I'll let people know to stay the hell away from them. Best of luck on the rebuild.

drusmith

Established Member
Jesus Christ Drew, what a ****ing hackjob they did. You can believe I'll let people know to stay the hell away from them. Best of luck on the rebuild.

Yeah it's sad! But it's all good! I'll get mine when the time comes.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
The name of this build should be "Murphy's Law"
I'm glad your sticking with it and spending all the cash!

What kind of chasis stiffening are you running?

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
Wow OP, really sorry to hear you had to go thru all that with the first shop. Things are looking good now from I can see...

Users who are viewing this thread