My story of kidney stones

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
I asked dad the other day *he gets kidney stones ALL the time*, if he has any kidney stones at the moment. He replies with *Eh. 2 or 3 between 1/4 of and inch and 3/4 of an inch. The doc wants to blast them in a month or so.* It blows my mind how often he gets them and its gotten to the point its just normal. I feel for you guys.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
It was hard to get through this whole thread. Thank god I've never had one. The stories were bad, but the pictures made it so much more real. I try to drink at least a 17-22oz bottle of water every 1.5-2 hours throughout the day. I rarely drink soda, and only other non-alcoholic beverage would be Gatorade and pre/post workout stuff occasionally. Googled it really quickly. Seems like everyone agrees to drink alot of water, limit sodium, and limit animal proteins, and nuts and spinach.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/5-steps-for-preventing-kidney-stones-201310046721

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneystones_prevent.cfm

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/kidneystonediet/index.aspx

Only pain i've ever had similar is when they remove regrowths of my bladder cancer. The first few times they removed something about the size of a quarter, and for the next 2 weeks while it healed internally it felt like i was pissing glass shards every time i pee'd, completely regardless of how much i drank. Not as bad as what some of you have described, but 2 weeks of it was pretty bad.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Kidney stones, boils....
wtf are you guys doing to get these? I checked out boils and wanted to comment about some unsat mofos here (one of the symptoms is bad hygiene).
But holy hell, hope I dont get these kidney stones, I drink coffee 3x a week and drink soda maybe once a week? Hope I never get this shit.

Although I get random radiating pain in my left hamstring area randomly, not painful enough to vomit, but enough to lock me up.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
TheShadow,

I clinched the pillow next me reading the passage of your stone.

Dropped to your knees...Lord save me from ever gettin these!

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I used to get them a few years back until I changed my diet. Nothing like the feeling of a thousand knives of fire stabbing you in the back as motivation to drink more damn water.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i know i damn near ripped the urinal off the wall when i passed mine...and it was not large by kidney stone standards!

KILRSVT

Established Member
My mom went to ER for that she blew up didn't even recognize her it was scary from there on out I knew drink a lot of water

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I had a bad day about 2 months ago when I woke up on a Thursday at 2am and had extreme lower left back pain near my kidney. The pain was excruciating and I felt nauseous. I went to the doctor within the week and he explained I had a typical kidney stone case. He explained the rate of travel of the size stone 2mm-4mm and what to expect. I was told it would take approximately 1 month for the stone or stones to pass. It's been almost 2 months and I still have not passed it or felt like it has been passed. I still feel like there is something there as I get an occasional stinging feeling before and during urination.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
^^^

I should note that I haven't had any Pop/Soda in almost a year, drink about 120-150oz of water daily, eat pretty healthy (mostly organic foods) and I still got kidney stones.

I would love to know the cause of them if you pretty much do everything by the book in terms of eating/drinking right.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
I have never had them either BUT 3 of my coworkers did and one was at work when we had to rush him to the hospital as he passed a stone at work.

I pray never to experience that type of pain EVER.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I've never had them either, and I drink lots of diet soda, so I doubt the soda causes them. The few people I have known that had them were all coffee drinkers.

shurur

Established Member
Back in 1984, i was about to get out of the Navy. A few weeks before my EAOS, it was determined that I had too high a white blood cell count. The Chief wouldn't sign me off until I got a doctor's signatuture.

I could feel something in my left kidney but wasn't about to let it stop me from getting out. I got a officer to agree that it was "probably just a cold."
This was September 1984.

After I got out, I went to a tech school in January '85. I had pain in my urethral tube. It was sharp and as I ignored it that spring semester, was reduced to a dull ache and hot spot.

That summer, while working as a janitor at IBM,,I found myself curled up on the floor in the fetal position and in severe pain.....drove home...went to emergency. The stone had grown inside my urethral tube and blocked my left kidney.

My first operation was unsuccessful because the stone could not be scooped up with a basket even from a puncture access hole that was made in my kidney. The stone had grown in.

The surgeon said it should have taken 15 minutes and he had been at it an hour now.
He had two options:
1. Open me up and get it out then and there. There was just too much blood to do anything else at that point.
2. Insert a tube and a bag to drain the urine and blood; have me come back in a couple of weeks; he would then go in with a scope and a grabber and "rip it out." This is VT..it's how we are.

I asked him which is going to cost more. This is VT..it's how we are..

He said cost was the same..so I said I'd wait and came back.

Weeks later I went back for surgury. I had a spinal again so that I could supervise..but moved around too much in order see the monitor. I remeber the surgeon say "I'm doing the surgery here."

Next I remember him waking me up with a brown spiked chinese checker marble in a vial.
I knew that they usually give the stones to the patients.
He said he was keeping this one; it was the biggest stone he had ever seen.

I had made a pearl of a kidney stone it seems.

The surgeon's name was doctor Paul Morrisseau as I recall.

I have another lesson learned story about a nice looking nurse, a massage, pain, pleasure and a catheter as well...same stay...;-)

NO FEAR....Stupid too.....I'm younger than that now (Dylan).

Last edited:

ssssnake

Established Member
I hate to bring pain to you guys again by posting in this thread, but I think I'm on to something..

Wednesday, I woke up with terrible pain in my right kidney. My third kidney stone. I spent the day guzzling water, but the pain was still pretty bad. I didn't feel like a trip to the hospital emergency room, so I started Googling. The wonder drug, apple cider vinegar, seems to dissolve kidney stones. I read an article that this guy wrote, and he said that every hour, he would drink a shot of vinegar, followed with a shot of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). He said he passed the stone by the next morning. Last night, I took two shots of vinegar and EVOO and woke up this morning with a lot less pain. I've had about 4 shots of each today, and am feeling pretty good. I'll be truthful, it's nasty drinking that stuff, but if I can take care of this situation at home, I'm there. I just thought you guys might want to know about this. Carry on.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Very good to know! Apple cider vinegar is a damn good home rememdy. Also burns off warts if you soak a paper towel and leave it on the wart for 40 mins a day. If you're a diabetic it can lower your blood sugar levels quickly.

Thanks for posting. After reading the thread it started to psych me out the next few days. Now at least there's a good over the counter tool against it.

Users who are viewing this thread