My Recent Stupid Barn Find Adventures...

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I'm going to warn you right now, if you're expecting me to unearth a 250 GTO or a 63 split window vette, stop now. This is a far lower return on investment when it comes to your time spent reading this.

So a little backstory behind this, around the middle of October I was down at MIR for a Mustang6G track rental. MIR is a very short drive from my grandmothers house, so I don't mind driving 5 1/2 hours down to southern Maryland to do things down there. In between MIR and my grandmothers house is my uncle's place. As you are about to see, he is a literal hoarder. He's moving to a new house in VA in a couple months and I wanted to see the cars I've heard about since I was a kid that were locked away in his barn. The last time I tried to go in here, I was 12 and got attacked by the barn cats.

DSC_7186-X2.jpg

Here are some pictures from October

First up, 1975 Opel Manta 1900 4spd. This car has a monster 1.9L cam in head 4 cylinder with Bosch L-jet EFI which produces 90hp. L-jet is the even more primitive version of the EFI on my BMW so I'm already somewhat familiar with how this system works. My uncle believes this car was driven in here around 1990, the registration expired in 85. So figure its been sitting for at most 30 years.

DSC_7168-X2.jpg

DSC_7174-X2.jpg

DSC_7175-X2.jpg

Next up, we have a 1975 Opel Kadett C. I believe this is a 1.2L CIH I4 with the same L-jet EFI and 4spd. This car had 1984 registration on it as well as some sweet washington DC plates I need to take. My uncle told me he bought this car second hand and owned it for a day before his at the time girlfriend's friend borrowed it and got into an accident a mile from his apartment. He said the car is really low mile, we might be stealing the 4spd from this car. Its already had some parts taken from the engine like the distributor cap, water pump and plug wires. Oh, all the wheels are gone and its on blocks as well. It sucks this car is smashed up, the paint overall is really clean (still has a gloss) and its more rust free than the manta.

DSC_7196-X2.jpg

DSC_7170-X2.jpg

DSC_7172-X2.jpg

Up next, a 1971 MG Midget Mk.III with 60,000 miles on it. My uncle bought this new in 71 and daily drove it until he got his first pickup truck sometime around 80 or 81. I believe this has a 1.3L BMC A-Series I4 which makes 54hp. This car is actually the most solid car in the barn, it just sucks that MG's are virtually worthless and it costs way more to restore one than they are worth. I actually do have someone who is interested in buying this car so it may see the road again.

DSC_7193-X2.jpg

DSC_7200-X2.jpg

Note the British Leyland badge, a stamp of quality. Or it means your car was slapped together by people who were planning to go on strike)

DSC_7222-X2.jpg

You'd think this was over, but around the corner this keeps going. I found some vehicles I thought were sold long ago, turns out they didn't get that far.

2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 4.7L V8. I know this has well over 200k on it, my uncle told me I can have it to flip. I don't have the room right now so the jury is out on that. I actually remember driving this truck around amish country (in southern MD, not Lancaster PA) when I was about 12.

DSC_7249-X2.jpg

Speaking of things I remember from my younger years, this was parked right across from it.

This is a 1995 Toyota T100 DX. 3.4L DOHC V6 (190hp/220tq) backed by a 5spd manual. It has literally just over 200k miles on it. Really wish it was a SR5 4wd, one with this miles on it is worth about 6 grand believe it or not.

DSC_7250-X2.jpg

But it gets even better, we're out of the barn and into the cabbage now. We discovered yet another Manta hiding out in the trees.

I don't know much about this car because I can't get a vin or even get inside it. Its a 1973 Manta with a carbureted version of the 1900 series CIH engine. Backed by a 3spd automatic, this car has pre 5mph bumpers as well as a much cleaner, mostly in tact black interior. The body is absolutely shot though, you can see the ground when you open the trunk, which we had to use a bar to pry into and ripped the trunk latch out of the body.

DSC_7256-X2.jpg

DSC_7254-X2.jpg

DSC_7253-X2.jpg

That brings us to this past weekend. My friend who was with me decided he just had to own the barn Manta because he liked how it looked. We plan on getting it running/driving and using it in some SCCA rally-x races in the area. Will we win? Probably not. Will we be the most unique car on the course? You bet your ass we will.

This past Saturday after a ton of running around trying to get ready, we got to my Uncles place around 3pm. I had to go to the title place in town to find out who this car was legally registered to so I could get a duplicate title for my friend. Turns out its in my uncle's ex-wife's name. My grandmother is still in good standing with her and my uncle's ex-wife agreed to sign the MVA forms to get a duplicate title so we can re-register the car in my friends name.

So here is how Saturday went. After getting all the junk out of the way of the Manta, we had to find 3 wheels that were 4x100 and held air (only one on the car took air). We got that situated, but the car would not move. Every wheel was locked up, so back in the air it went and we beat every brake free. We also had to hit the shifter with a mallet to get it unstuck and make sure it was in neutral.

Once that was situated, we pulled it out with my friends 18hp Gravely tractor and his brother worked the steering/brakes.

IMG_5314-X2.jpg

(Looks like its snowing? No, thats actually dust flying around the barn from us moving)

IMG_5315-X2.jpg

So here is the part that really sucked, once we got it out of the barn, we had to get it on the trailer. My uncles driveway was literally as wide as the trailer and with no room to just spin around. We had to back the trailer + the F250 down the driveway, downhill in the dark, spin it onto his front lawn and pull it forward so it was facing downhill. This took 45 minutes and multiple tries to accomplish.

Once that was sorted, we used the tractor as an anchor and let the car roll itself down the hill with the tractor keeping it from being a runaway manta. Thankfully the Manta E-brake still worked, so it had some form of stopping.

Another half hour later, we had it on the trailer.

8137991198062220772-account_id%3D1-X2.jpg

Holy shit did that night suck, what a load of work for a car thats worth about 30 dollars.

I stopped over my friends house later in the night and we threw a battery in the car just to see what happened. Amazingly, the engine cranked over like it was just parked yesterday. The only electrical system that worked was the headlights, absolutely nothing else works. Tons of wires are unplugged so after some interior cleanup that has to get sorted.

4711349831240706354-account_id%3D1-X2.jpg

6015848296758847517-account_id%3D1-X2.jpg

First signs of life!

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
-Part 2-

This brings us to Sunday!
You think this is a lot to read? It's even more to type!

I came over to find my friend washing the car off with the power washer, here is how it cleaned up so far.

IMG_5326-X2.jpg

IMG_5327-X2.jpg

IMG_5336-X2.jpg

IMG_5339-X2.jpg

IMG_5342-X2.jpg

What a terrible color, its like a weird bronze or something. I liked the red woods manta or the orange kadett much more, but both of those are trashed.

After we unloaded the Manta, we headed back to my uncles to grab the T100. I am going to get this driving again and sell it, thankfully someone is already interested in it as he has a T100 4cyl with a blown engine, hopefully he steps up and takes it.

So you saw earlier where it was left, once we put air in the tires it lifted itself out of the ground. We threw a battery in and tried to start it just to see if it'd cough to life on whatever was left in the tank but no dice. We ended up pouring some gas down the intake (no starter fluid around) and it coughed to life. Sadly, it wouldn't stay running, we're pretty sure the fuel pump is shot. I also know the clutch is shot (200k on the original) so I had to start it in gear. We got it running long enough that I backed it out of the spot it sat in for at least 6 years. We used the tractor to pull it to the driveway and I coasted it downhill (had brakes thank God). I did a couple bump starts and it would fire right up and run for a little bit but sputter out once it used up whatever gas fumes were still in the intake.

IMG_5348-X2.jpg

IMG_5347-X2.jpg

With a splash of go juice, I ripped it up the trailer. So glad we didn't have to push this up like the Manta.

IMG_5351-X2.jpg

We dropped this off at my grandmothers house for now. I'll be down to work on it after christmas.

IMG_5386-X2.jpg

IMG_5382-X2.jpg

IMG_5379-X2.jpg

IMG_5390-X2.jpg

Here is a video of us dragging the Manta out

So this is the kind of crap I rope myself into. I am hoping I can sell the T100 fast enough that I can take a stab at digging the tundra out before my uncle moves and the Amish take his land. We'll see how easy it is to get the T100 going and sold though.

Here are the full albums if you want to explore all the photos.

October Photos

1975 Opel Manta

Toyota T100

1971 MG Midget

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Awesome, keep us updated with the Manta progress, I actually like the body lines on that car. Hopefully you get the Tundra out, I always liked the older ones.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Great thread.
Very cool

Thanks!

Awesome, keep us updated with the Manta progress, I actually like the body lines on that car. Hopefully you get the Tundra out, I always liked the older ones.

Thats the whole reason my friend wanted this car, he liked how it looked. They can look pretty cool done up right, I've seen some people build some really whacky opels. Hell, the rallye spec cars looked pretty sweet as well.

opel-manta-a-2.jpg

I have a friend who wants the tundra now so I'm more motivated to dig that out. Just hope I can get the T100 sold so I have a place to park the tundra.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
when I was in the Air Force , a friend had one of those Manta's , that we stuffed a warmed over 302 and C4 into.
Man that was fun at the weekend airstrip races .

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Great thread, I like Manta's as well. I'd love to see progress as it gets rebuilt.

The T100 will probably sell faster than you expect. I had a 94 Toyota pickup 2wd that sold in winter for asking price in 1 day. It wasn't a very clean truck and it wasn't a very good deal lol.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Great thread and cool finds thanks for sharing.

Pretty cool.

Pretty awesome!

Good share!

Love to see a car like this revived, nice job!

-Steve

Thanks!

when I was in the Air Force , a friend had one of those Manta's , that we stuffed a warmed over 302 and C4 into.
Man that was fun at the weekend airstrip races .

That was my backup idea since 302's are so cheap. I have a 3.4L M30 from a 86 735i sitting at my friends place I really wanted to stuff in here, but I think it would be a ton of work. A 302 is pretty compact and it'd be super easy to find a T-5 somewhere versus finding a Getrag 260/5 or 265/6 for the M30.

Great thread, I like Manta's as well. I'd love to see progress as it gets rebuilt.

The T100 will probably sell faster than you expect. I had a 94 Toyota pickup 2wd that sold in winter for asking price in 1 day. It wasn't a very clean truck and it wasn't a very good deal lol.

If anything meaningful happens I'll make a new thread on it.

It seems like old toyota trucks are popular, I someone interested in the T100 and someone else interested in the Tundra so I am hoping I can make both go away. Hell, I have someone in Canada who wants the MG!

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Nice! Will you swap on the other bumpers?

Absolutely, 5mph bumpers are a sin on almost every vehicle that had the displeasure of wearing them, Manta's no exception. The woods Manta has a nice interior as well so we're going to try and grab that.

Excellent read! Enjoyed it!

Thanks! Glad some people got entertainment out of all this.

Keep us updated.

Cool story. Looking for more.

If anything significant happens I'll make sure to bump this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread