My New Project

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
OK. So I hinted around about it. Now its time to unveil my latest crazy idea.

This project sprang from a dream I had as a boy of 8. It was summer and I started taking sailing lessons. They advanced to where I was allowed to roam the bay alone in the small sail boat. That was the first time I felt free. No one in command but me, free to travel anywhere the water went, free to even go around the world.

Now at last, I have a plan to take a boat around the world. But not just any boat and not just go around the worlld...

Let's make history. Let's take the Gentry Eagle around the world and set the record for the fastest nautical circumnavigation of earth in a power boat.

Further, we shall let anyone who wants to also get involved and be a real part of this project.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I proudly introduce to you Victoria 500, Inc.:

www.Victoria500.com

Make sure you check out the video of the Gentry Eagle in her initial race configuration. Its the video on the Gentry Eagle page.

The site is still being constructed, so please report bugs to me if you find any. I'm not going fully public yet. But I thought I would preview it here and see what reaction I got. So all sincere feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Captain Eddy :)

P.S. Norman Gentry, the entire crew, and I will meet this coming Friday in Ventrua, California. The crew and I will remain on the boat for the better part of a week to do a detailed survey and assessment. Things are starting to kick in gear.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I remember the Atlantic crossing record. Especially that it would have been much faster if the ship hadn't been given a load of contaminated fuel in the middle of the Atlantic. The floated around for hours while the fuel systems anf filters were stripped down, and either replaced or cleaned. Then the contaminated fuel had to be pumped out and replaced.
And even with all that they still beat the previous record by over a dozen hours.

Good luck Eddie. Hope your record attempt is successful.

After this you will know how inexpensive it is to set a record at Bonneville.:thumbsup:

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Really cool. Since you're asking for suggestions, the background image makes text a bit difficult to read. I'd suggest putting a solid background behind the text, or move to a more friendly layout. The words are very well written and I enjoyed the history, especially the boat specs and details.

Best of luck and stay safe!

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Thanks guys. We are a long way from the starting point. It will take a lot of hard work and good fortune to pull this one off.

So its time to keep rolling up the sleeves!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Turbines have become much more power dense over the years. Any plans to upgrade the engines? I'd add a fuel centrifuge if one isn't already installed.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
So are you just going to outrun or threaten to sue the Somali pirates? JK man, good luck! Life changing experience for sure :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What a magnificent project! Surely a huge task but if anyone can do it, you can. I can well imagine the amount of study and analysis that goes into a project as lofty as this one. Especially after watching the video at the bottom of the ship riding those HUGE waves. I wish you the absolute best! :thumbsup:

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
This is freakin' awesome. Do you have a time in mind you are shooting for? I can't imagine the detail and work that goes into planning something of this magnitude.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
make sure you mount a .50 to the deck incase of Pirates and or flying white sharks

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the positive feed back.

I told you I would volunteer before. :)

God speed eddy.

I may take you up on that friend! :thumbsup:

Turbines have become much more power dense over the years. Any plans to upgrade the engines? I'd add a fuel centrifuge if one isn't already installed.

That would be a huge undertaking. However, the idea has been considered and may be required.

This coming week will be critical for this project. I and my entire crew will be surveying the boat. We have no idea what we are going to find. One thing is for sure... its a boat and there are going to be problems. ITS A BOAT!!!

We just have to see what problems we find and figure out to deal with them. If the engines are in good shape, we will likely go with them. They are a strong and reliable design still in use today (though with far more modern control systems). If the engines have problems, well, then we begin weighing options which could include replacement.

Hope you break the record, best of luck.

Thank you sir!

So are you just going to outrun or threaten to sue the Somali pirates? JK man, good luck! Life changing experience for sure :beer:

Somalia is not the area with the greatest pirate threat. But, yes, we are going to out run the pirates! Plus, we do have a few tricks up our sleaves! :beer:

What a magnificent project! Surely a huge task but if anyone can do it, you can. I can well imagine the amount of study and analysis that goes into a project as lofty as this one. Especially after watching the video at the bottom of the ship riding those HUGE waves. I wish you the absolute best! :thumbsup:

Thank you kind sir. I've been working on this non-stop for a year. My kids avoid me for fear I will blister thier ears yet again with talk of my dream.

This project is as much an exercise in logistics as it is anything. LOTS of study and analysis. Bad weather, sickness, finances, foreign governments, pirates and crooks, fueling, food, etc.... HAHAHA Every detail has to be triple covered!

This is freakin' awesome. Do you have a time in mind you are shooting for? I can't imagine the detail and work that goes into planning something of this magnitude.

Good question. It will depend on two factors: First, how quickly are we able to raise the money. Second, how quickly can we prepare the boat and ourselves.

I can tell you this. We will start our race in the early August time frame. In a perfect world, August of 2013.

make sure you mount a .50 to the deck incase of Pirates and or flying white sharks

Its those dang flying sharks that got me worried!!! HAHAHA

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate all your feed back.

Anyone notice how anyone can earn a ride on the voyage for a leg of the trip?

Users who are viewing this thread