My new heat extractor hood

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With stainless mesh
IMG_0816.jpg

I like that! Better idea and looks nicer than the 'road race style' vent in the other thread. I guess that one never made it beyond a prototype. At least not yet.

racebronco2

Established Member
I like that! Better idea and looks nicer than the 'road race style' vent in the other thread. I guess that one never made it beyond a prototype. At least not yet.

With the "roadrace vents" i have had doubts if they would work. They would help reduce the underhood temps in city driving but would be too turbulent at higher speeds.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Nice Job Carlos...looks better than your original design I saw in person last year. Kinda reminds me of the Ford GT Hood...how it slopes down and all.

I'm still pretty happy with my one off "road race" style vents but other projects have kept me from an actual production run. The turbulance you mentioned in the above post...did you do some additional testing or is that just an educated guess??? Maybe we can test it out at high speed...strings, smoke...any ideas??? BTW...how did you come across this new and improved design??? It looks pretty bitchin'!!!

:beer:

Later...Dave

racebronco2

Established Member
Nice Job Carlos...looks better than your original design I saw in person last year. Kinda reminds me of the Ford GT Hood...how it slopes down and all.

I'm still pretty happy with my one off "road race" style vents but other projects have kept me from an actual production run. The turbulance you mentioned in the above post...did you do some additional testing or is that just an educated guess??? Maybe we can test it out at high speed...strings, smoke...any ideas??? BTW...how did you come across this new and improved design??? It looks pretty bitchin'!!!

Later...Dave

The one you say last year was the second design. My first design was the one posted here. Me and paul brown had a discussion about how i could improve the cooling and he is the one who said if i enlarged the opening it would defect the purpose. His testing showed too much turbulence but if i added louvers it would help a little more for cooling and i would have more downforce. The high pressure going over the hood would create a vacuum and it would suck the car down at higher speeds.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
The one you say last year was the second design. My first design was the one posted here. Me and paul brown had a discussion about how i could improve the cooling and he is the one who said if i enlarged the opening it would defect the purpose. His testing showed too much turbulence but if i added louvers it would help a little more for cooling and i would have more downforce. The high pressure going over the hood would create a vacuum and it would suck the car down at higher speeds.

Ok...so which is the new and improved design??? The one I saw last year at the LAPD SWAT cruise or the one posted here??? :shrug:

Which does a better job for cooling and down force...the new or old design???

They both look great...

Later...Dave

03snakeminated

Established Member
Carlos great job that hood in the picture looks friggin good and does its heat extracting purpose too, i want one, you should get on the ball and make/sell these, i see a great opportunity here, just my .02 cents bud :beer:
good luck..

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Ok...so which is the new and improved design??? The one I saw last year at the LAPD SWAT cruise or the one posted here??? :shrug:

Which does a better job for cooling and down force...the new or old design???

They both look great... :beer:

Later...Dave

The first design is the one posted here by pkwest. The newer design helps a little more for cooling but for most guys that open track the first design works fine. The second design was for more aero also. With the louvered hood along with the front leading edge of the hood extended forward about 2 inches along with the rear of the hood extended back about 2 1/2" with a lip to force the air up before it gets to the windshield. The first design follows the cobra's lines so well that most people who look at the car from the front won't even notice it.
Carlos great job that hood in the picture looks friggin good and does its heat extracting purpose too, i want one, you should get on the ball and make/sell these, i see a great opportunity here, just my .02 cents bud :beer:
good luck..

The problem is that is really hard to find a cobra hood for less then 300.00. I tried to find some slightly damage hoods but no luck so far.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Carlos, have you ever considered finding one hood, then offering a core program where someone ships you theirs and continually upgrade and exchange them to the next person. Sure they would need to be painted, and your customers would be made aware of that.

It is just an extremely functional design that looks badass to boot.

racebronco2

Established Member
Carlos, have you ever considered finding one hood, then offering a core program where someone ships you theirs and continually upgrade and exchange them to the next person. Sure they would need to be painted, and your customers would be made aware of that.

It is just an extremely functional design that looks badass to boot.

I have made two of them for friends and they both wanted to keep there stock hoods. That would be a good idea. I even tried looking for a gt or v6 hood that would need more fiberglass work but the cost would be less for the hood and even they are hard to find under 200.00. I found a couple under $100.00 but they both had broken off studs where the hood bolts to the hinges. Still i am looking every couple of days.

NYstanger

Established Member
I have made two of them for friends and they both wanted to keep there stock hoods. That would be a good idea. I even tried looking for a gt or v6 hood that would need more fiberglass work but the cost would be less for the hood and even they are hard to find under 200.00. I found a couple under $100.00 but they both had broken off studs where the hood bolts to the hinges. Still i am looking every couple of days.

Isn't there a fitment issue with cobra hoods "hanging over" more in front then gt hoods due to the front bumper?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Isn't there a fitment issue with cobra hoods "hanging over" more in front then gt hoods due to the front bumper?

The opposite. The downward slop and creases were removed from the leading edge of the '03/'04 Cobra hood. The "pillars" on either side of the radiator opening are taller than all other Mustang models. Check Post #11 of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread