my new FX2....?'s for you truck guys

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i'm VERY new to trucks

i just bought a black '07 4dr FX2 and i'm looking for ideas on just how much i want to lift the truck and what wheel/tire combo i'd like to go with

i don't want to lift it REALLY high, but i'd like it up in the air a little. i'd also like to hear ya'lls opinions on 20's vs 22's vs. 24's with a decent sized tire, no low-pro tires

i'm also interested in the leveling kits that i've just started reading about.

n16701834_40237178_4303271.jpg

and this is what it'll be towing.... :beers:
n16701834_38178810_7105.jpg

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
4-6 inches with 35's. relatively cheap and it looks the best. I recommend nitto Terra or mud grapplers

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
If you don't want anything too wild go with a 4 inch suspension lift and either 33s or 35s. 6 inches can be a little high for some people. I had some short girls that had a hard time getting into my F150 sometimes and that was a 6 inch lift with 35s. Tires are going to start getting really expensive if you are looking for large diameter tires that will also fit a large diameter wheel. The biggest that I would go would be 20s if you don't want low pro tires.

I had the Nitto Mud Graps on my truck and while they look really cool and perform really well, they are a little more expensive than competitors and wear out pretty fast. That's not to say that I wouldn't get them again though. They are pretty loud too while driving, I thought it was pretty cool but some people don't like that. MTs are a little overkill if you don't ever take it off road though.

Last edited:

Gooch03

Established Member
Pro Comp sells really good lift kits. As far as tires go Mud Grapplers look the best but they wear VERY fast. I would look into BFG KM2's or the Toyo Open Country M/T tires for mud terrains for the Terra Grapplers for A/T. Then again if I had the FX2 I wouldn't go for the off road look I'd be more into the style part of it. Possibly lowering the back and getting true low profile tires. If you want just a little higher look get a 2" leveling kit for it. They are cheap and make the truck sit level. If you go higher than 2" you risk wearing out the joints in your control arms (I know because I did it to mine). You may need to get spacers for your rims as well if you run bigger tires so they don't rub. A general rule of thumb is without a lift you can go with a 33" tire at max.

velocicaur

Established Member
I would not get too carried away if you are going to do some towing with it. I'd tow your car a few times to see how you like it. From my experience, it's only going to get worse once you start changing things.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I'd go for a 4" lift, some 35x12.50x20 tires and 20x10 wheels. It will be nice and aggresive and not look like a dog trying to take a dump while towing.

Also I would suggest ProComp Xtreme A/T tires. I have them and love them. I have probably 10-12K miles on mine and love them. The are warrantied out to I believe 40K miles, can't beat that.

Also, great looking truck!

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
I would not get too carried away if you are going to do some towing with it. I'd tow your car a few times to see how you like it. From my experience, it's only going to get worse once you start changing things.

+1 ... I tow to much to mess with stock 18" and height on the FX4 ..

ModularFan

Established Member
Why didn't you get a Diesel F-250 or F-350, the F-150 may struggle a little bit in all honesty, I mean the F-250 and 350 Diesels are weighted like 12,000-16,000 Pounds for Towing, and you wouldn't even know it was there whats the tung weight for the 150, like 7500-9500 pounds.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Why didn't you get a Diesel F-250 or F-350, the F-150 may struggle a little bit in all honesty, I mean the F-250 and 350 Diesels are weighted like 12,000-16,000 Pounds for Towing, and you wouldn't even know it was there whats the tung weight for the 150, like 7500-9500 pounds.

I would think because MGP is horrible on new diesels and the price of the diesel option would off set any $$$ advantage with going diesel in the first place.

ModularFan

Established Member
I would think because MGP is horrible on new diesels and the price of the diesel option would off set any $$$ advantage with going diesel in the first place.

not the 7.3L and 6.0's they get close to 21 MPG, Plug the F-150 Probably gets like 14-15 MPG it would get like 9-10 if your lucky towing the car.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member

If all he is towing is his Cobra, he should have no problem at all. I'm assuming he has the 5.4 though.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
He will have absolutely no problem at all with that truck, and it's stupid to think otherwise

ModularFan

Established Member
If all he is towing is his Cobra, he should have no problem at all. I'm assuming he has the 5.4 though.

But still I prefer a Diesel over a Regular V8, regardless of how many liters it has weather it be a 4.6L or 5.4L

whats the gear ratio in them, 4.10's?

Last edited:

LSUstang05

Established Member
not the 7.3L and 6.0's they get close to 21 MPG, Plug the F-150 Probably gets like 14-15 MPG it would get like 9-10 if your lucky towing the car.

I got 19 on the highway in my dad's last summer to and from work every day at 74mph :shrug: Not as great as a diesel, but a diesel truck is more expensive up front and cost more for fuel each time you fill up, as well. then you have to take it to a specialty shop to get worked on because not just any run of the mill mechanic can work on it if something goes wrong. If he isn't going to be towing with it full-time, diesel is WAY overkill and the F150 will be fine for towing. There are plenty of people that have 1500 trucks towing lawn equipment and such around that, in total, weighs more than his cobra and trailer will, and still make it work.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
If you want to lift it and get big tires, return it and buy a 4x4.

I'd get a leveling kit and maybe some slightly bigger tires to fill the wheelwells. Since you are towing and its a 4x2, I doubt you'll need mud tires. Mudders will wear much faster since most of them have a softer compound, plus make a lot of noise. Also, I'm pretty sure you'll get made fun of a lot driving a 4x2 sport truck with big ass tires and a giant lift.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
yeah definitely got the 5.4L

sunburned: i completely agree, i'm not looking for the 4x4 off road look...i just want it to sit a little higher with a slightly aggressive stance. that's what i'm looking for in terms of lift/wheel/tire combos. just a couple inches and a bigger wheel/tire combo, no mud tires or anything. i'm new to the truck scene but i'm sure the 4x4 look on a 4x2 is like making a GT look like a cobra

Polozlx

Established Member
I work offroad and have been through MANY "off road" tires in my day. If you want off road performance and good street manners get some BFG M/T's. Mileage, ride quality, BFG A/T's. Wanna look mean and have the longest wearing tire ever? Toyo M/T's. Cant kill them ugly bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread