"MY" idle/stalling culprit...check it out

JMD0346

Established Member
Ive always had a slight idle/stall issue since Ive had the car(june-'02). Tuning helped but it will still die on me every once in a while. Especially when turning and braking like some others.

Out of the blue a few weeks ago it got really bad. Cleaned the whole air intake assembly. All air monitoring sensors as well and no help.

Decided one day to look for Vaccum leaks with some ether. Well I found one.

The 90 degree rubber boot that goes from the back of the blower to the drvers side PCV had a hole in it about the size of a dime! LOL. Apparently it was so big I never heard any noticeable noise. Like air being sucked in.

I wrapped it up with tape for a quick fix untill the part came in. Instantly my idle settled down. Vaccum went back to normal and no stalling.

Here are a few pics. I had to tear it to get it off but you can still see how bad the boot had deteriorated. Apparently its from oil being sucked in from the pcv.

2nqa8zl.jpg

2nqa8zl.jpg

ftldo6.jpg

2a4tn4g.jpg

If you look close you can see how the oil/dry rot basically started to dissolve the rubber. Its really gummy/mushy to the touch.

Definitely something everybody should check. Whether you have problems yet or not. Hope this helps guys.:beer:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
i think its prob more from your egr tube if its still in place...those are oil resistant hoses...not that it cant happen but thats where i would bet my money...glad u got it sorted out though.

JMD0346

Established Member
Its possible. The hole was on the side away from the egr iirc though.

I agree with you though. Id say egr heat coupled with dry rot and oill saturation over time gave that rubber more than it could handle.

NC Mystic

Established Member
is there a full stainless vacuum line kit for termi's or do i just have to cut to length? use the same size braided hose as the rubber ones?

big dad

Established Member
This is pretty common on alot of vehicles, especially Fords. Seen it alot when I was a Tech. Best advise is to check your lines over at least once a year, especially if your up there in mileage.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
This is a very common problem now that is becoming more prevalent as these cars age a little.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
This is a very common problem now that is becoming more prevalent as these cars age a little.

Yes it is and it is not a small vacuum leak when it tanks.

I don't believe it is related to the EGR however as mentioned above, it's going to happen eventually EGR or not.
These are going to become even more common in the coming years.

It is an oil resistant elbow but it obviously is not oil proof.

Even low mile cars will be affected since the oil does condense inside the hose and sits there for years eating on the inside of the hose even while parked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread