My GT350 consumes a lot of oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
And that's probably why they burn oil. I run the piss out of my R, and, so far, it hasn't burned a drop of oil. Look at that Car and Driver article quoted above. They're complaining about oil consumption, and all they mostly did was putt around on the freeway. Think of it kind of like the SR-71 Blackbird. That plane leaked fuel like a sieve until the fuselage got hot. Then all the cracks would seal up and it would stop leaking. Same thing with these engines. You need to get some heat in them so the metal (the pistons and rings) will expand and seal them up. If all you ever do is pussyfoot around in it, and it rarely ever sees the other side of 6K except for an occasional shift point, it's gonna burn oil.

All that aside, if paying 7 bucks every 500 - 1000 miles is too much to bear, you probably should should be shopping in a different price bracket. Checking and maintaining your oil is Basic Maintenance 101. If that's too much work, buy a Toyota. High performance engines require more maintenance. If you don't think the Voodoo is a high performance engine, then you've obviously never driven one the way it was built to be driven. It is a thing of awe and beauty.

Ahhhh yes. The ol “you’re too poor” anyway argument.

If you didn’t own one you’d be calling Ford out louder than anyone on LS1.com.

#racecar my ass.

Ford needs to fix the problem IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... If you didn’t own one you’d be calling Ford out louder than anyone on LS1.com. ...

Actually, no, I wouldn't. What sense does it make to call out something that I don't own and have no intentions of owning? And why would anybody on LS1.com be calling Ford out?

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
For those of you that don't care and say it's just normal for such a high HP NA motor..... These cars are the kind you hold on to because of their limited production. What happens years from now when the warranty is gone and you need a rebuild because the rings are completely shot? That much oil in the combustion chamber will cause engine issues over time. We all know oil in the cylinder reduces the effective octane of the fuel.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Catless, boosted on E85.
It'll keep the chambers clean and I'll have no complaints of checking oil on my 8250rpm 800hp rocket.
My Hellcat Charger rolls on drag radials daily and drinks one quart every 4-5k miles.
I'll either mod it or boost a GT350, I just miss shifting daily or else it's the perfect DD.
Lower crank pulley pinned, E85, tune and done with 850rwhp range in a 4400# tank.
-J

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
For those of you that don't care and say it's just normal for such a high HP NA motor..... These cars are the kind you hold on to because of their limited production. What happens years from now when the warranty is gone and you need a rebuild because the rings are completely shot? That much oil in the combustion chamber will cause engine issues over time. We all know oil in the cylinder reduces the effective octane of the fuel.

You could buy the extended warranty if you get to 5 years/60k and you still don't trust it.

Or you could have an engine built. Or buy a new short block, at $6700 that's also an option.

Also, my fiancees old E39 M5 drank quite a bit of oil (qt/1000 or so) and from the maintenance records it looked like it had been mentioned early on when the car was purchased. At 175,000 miles the engine seemed strong and had no increase in oil consumption. The car had electrical gremlins though so we got rid of it.

If this engine makes it to half that mileage with the way it gets driven I will be more than happy with it.

BladeX10

Established Member
I just cant imagine spending $60k on a car then having to keep spare quarts of oil in the trunk like a $500 beater with 290k miles. It feels like alot of people are dumping their cars once they discover the issue. So many <5k mile cars on the lots right now

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
It's an issue when a majority of these motors aren't being run like they should. Per usual, track car gets built loosely to deal with heat, non-track driving folk buy them, car consumes a shit ton of oil. Owners complain. Others make excuses.

The reality is the car is design to be loose, and thus until things really heat up, it will eat oil. Which is total crap from a longevity/production stand point. On the R, I totally understand. On your average 350 car, no way. They aren't all track queens. By majority they are Cars and Coffee "look at how much money I have" queens.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Except 5.2s don’t make 500whp.

lulz.

Arguably the most ridiculous motor to ever be built by ford. It's the equivalent of a "look at me" prom queen engine.

Ford:

1. Build track car
  2. Call GT350
  3. Need track engine
  4. Try yote
  5. Not elite enough
  6. Listen to rooster in my rari
  7. Install rari engine
  8. oh, we don't own rari
  9. remove rari engine
  10. install flat plane crank in yote
  11. make massive engineering compromises
  12. install
  13. fill up with oil
  14. just because
  15. start it, add oil
  16. sell to middle aged dudes with more money than sense
  17. add oil
  18. be uber elite
  19. drive to cars and coffee meet, add oil
  20. get divorced due to cost of extra oil
  21. sell to 24 year old kid
  22. include 24 case of 5w50
  23. turn into hoon car, add oil
  24. get in accident, add oil
  25. blows up from low oil
  26. park in front of a trailer
  27. sit for 20 years
  28. joins svtp
  29. reads thread
  30. adds oil
  31. profit

Thus the story of the GT350 was born.

Zemedici

Established Member
Arguably the most ridiculous motor to ever be built by ford. It's the equivalent of a "look at me" prom queen engine.

Ford:

1. Build track car
  2. Call GT350
  3. Need track engine
  4. Try yote
  5. Not elite enough
  6. Listen to rooster in my rari
  7. Install rari engine
  8. oh, we don't own rari
  9. remove rari engine
  10. install flat plane crank in yote
  11. make massive engineering compromises
  12. install
  13. fill up with oil
  14. just because
  15. start it, add oil
  16. sell to middle aged dudes with more money than sense
  17. add oil
  18. be uber elite
  19. drive to cars and coffee meet, add oil
  20. get divorced due to cost of extra oil
  21. sell to 24 year old kid
  22. include 24 case of 5w50
  23. turn into hoon car, add oil
  24. get in accident, add oil
  25. blows up from low oil
  26. park in front of a trailer
  27. sit for 20 years
  28. joins svtp
  29. reads thread
  30. adds oil
  31. profit

Thus the story of the GT350 was born.

Omg hahahahahaha this is the greatest post ever :D hahaha

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
It's an issue when a majority of these motors aren't being run like they should. Per usual, track car gets built loosely to deal with heat, non-track driving folk buy them, car consumes a shit ton of oil. Owners complain. Others make excuses.

The reality is the car is design to be loose, and thus until things really heat up, it will eat oil. Which is total crap from a longevity/production stand point. On the R, I totally understand. On your average 350 car, no way. They aren't all track queens. By majority they are Cars and Coffee "look at how much money I have" queens.
Lol, look at how much money I have and they drive a mustang? The look at me I’m rich car is anything over $200k. Mclaren cars come to mind, only offered in auto and the doors open up which shows you’ve arrived. Not a $60k car. Anyone making a decent salary can pull a $60k car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread