My GT350 consumes a lot of oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
*Marks GT350 off future car list*

No way I want a car that high maintenance, nothing anyone says will make this OK in my opinion.
What's the recommended oil change interval on the GT350?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
My 100k mile small block ford doesn't use or leak that much oil. And if a foxbody has better oil consumption habits than you, you should be really concerned.

As a previous service writer, I saw this a tonnnn. It was a plague and any GT350 that came into my drive made me cringe. Inevitably it always came up. The voodoo is not that great of an engine, and it's a novelty. It's pointless, it doesn't accomplish anything a well done coyote does, and it's inherently flawed.

I won't touch one with a 10 foot pole. It's the equivalent of ferrari V8. Why would I inflict that sort of pain on myself.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I would imagine the S2000 example is not a good one for this argument due to the inline motor architecture. Inline motor forces are basically all in one plane, this is key. 90* motor forces are literally trying to rip the block apart on each stroke.
Exactly, can't compare these two motors, one is inline, the other is a v config, not to mention the voodoo has a lot more torque and is turning over a heavier crank. Oh yea theres also almost a 900lb difference.

My car revs to 7000, is NA, has 54K on it and doesn't burn a drop. Then again I don't track it either so... YMMV.
Still have over 1200rpm to go, you really need to drive yours on the track. Although the LS7 has its own issues, did you get yours taken care of?

And it gets as good, if not better MPGs than the GT350
You will definitely get better mpg when with a car thats what over 600lbs lighter?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Still have over 1200rpm to go, you really need to drive yours on the track. Although the LS7 has its own issues, did you get yours taken care of?
I keep telling myself I'm going to take it to Barbers Motorsport Park, but something always seems to come up. As for getting my car taken care of... I'm assuming you're speaking of the heads. Nope, I'm still rocking the stock heads.

U.M.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
2017 Ford Mustang GT350 20,000-Mile Update: Appetites of a Horse | Review | Car and Driver

"WHAT WENT WRONG: Since our last update, the 5.2-liter Voodoo V-8 has developed a thirst for 5W-50 synthetic oil. Over the past 11,800 miles, the high-revving engine has consumed 8.5 quarts. There are no leaks, so we can only assume that it’s exiting the quad tailpipes. If this were the ’80s, this might be acceptable, but it’s 2018 and oil depletion has become a rarity. Ford has released a supplement to the owner’s manual regarding oil consumption, stating that the engine could drink up to one quart every 500 miles under “extended time at high engine speeds, high loads, engine braking, hard cornering maneuvers, and track use.” Our car, however—excepting the odd mountain run and back-road blast, of course—has spent most of its life on freeways."

That's 3/4 of a quart every 1,000 miles and most of that was freeway miles ^

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Some of the engines are hit or miss. Mine doesn't seem to consume much. I won't end up adding oil between changes, but that's because I track my car so frequently. I probably end up with 2500 mile intervals.

There is a thread on the other forum, someone on facebook works in the plant that makes these cars. He was bragging that he takes cars onto a dyno and runs them up to the rev limiter while cold.

After some backlash he then said the oil was heated, but who knows if that's actually the case.

If that's true then it could point to why some engines are absolutely rock solid and others aren't.

Also this engine is head and shoulders more fun than a coyote, I've owned 2. It sounds incredible, it pulls better, it revs a bit faster, gets the same fuel economy (even with wider tires and more aero) and weighs less. Having the extra RPM is a godsend on track. So far on each track I've been on I haven't really hit that spot where you are trying to decide between short shifting or hitting the limiter just before your braking zone. I did a lot of that in my GT.

I drove it last night and I absolutely adore it. I'm more in love with it now than I was when I bought it.

99BOSS

Established Member
Interesting. The voodoo has forged pistons stock. These will fit a little looser in the bore than a cast piston and you will burn some oil until the rings seat. This is the same scenario on the gen 5 vipers. They burned some oil when new and you had to keep an eye on the dipstick. A quart every 1000 miles was normal until you had 2-3k miles then it would stop. If I had a GT350 I wouldnt track it until I had some miles on it and closely monitored its consumption. To some degree this is normal. Also, some Vipers had engines replaced due to excessive oil consumption. Sort of a case by case basis.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Would be interesting if any 5.2 that have been rebuilt (either for boost or NA builds) suffer from oil consumption issues.
As Austin mentioned above, I think the unique benefits of the 5.2 make it a worthwhile gamble to me.
-J

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Crossing this car off my bucket list of cars. Currently own three 700 hp cars that I beat the shit out of every chance I get and I've never had oil usage issues. For a modern day car that is billed as a car that can be driven anywhere, anytime, this would be unacceptable to me. Anyone stating otherwise has is not being rational.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... However I’ve read on a ton of gt350s being babied like a damn ancient scroll that also burn tons of oil. ...

And that's probably why they burn oil. I run the piss out of my R, and, so far, it hasn't burned a drop of oil. Look at that Car and Driver article quoted above. They're complaining about oil consumption, and all they mostly did was putt around on the freeway. Think of it kind of like the SR-71 Blackbird. That plane leaked fuel like a sieve until the fuselage got hot. Then all the cracks would seal up and it would stop leaking. Same thing with these engines. You need to get some heat in them so the metal (the pistons and rings) will expand and seal them up. If all you ever do is pussyfoot around in it, and it rarely ever sees the other side of 6K except for an occasional shift point, it's gonna burn oil.

All that aside, if paying 7 bucks every 500 - 1000 miles is too much to bear, you probably should should be shopping in a different price bracket. Checking and maintaining your oil is Basic Maintenance 101. If that's too much work, buy a Toyota. High performance engines require more maintenance. If you don't think the Voodoo is a high performance engine, then you've obviously never driven one the way it was built to be driven. It is a thing of awe and beauty.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Crossing this car off my bucket list of cars. Currently own three 700 hp cars that I beat the shit out of every chance I get and I've never had oil usage issues. For a modern day car that is billed as a car that can be driven anywhere, anytime, this would be unacceptable to me. Anyone stating otherwise has is not being rational.
Lets be honest here, you have 3 700hp cars. The GT350 with 529hp was never on your list.

blownstang01

Established Member
Mine has 4,300 miles and 2 track days (I'm solo, and go with intermediate group @ the glen...so, not easy on it ). So far it doesn't use any oil. I've had it since December '17, so 4,300 miles and a ton of fun in almost 2 seasons. Even if it did used a quart every 500 miles, 4 quarts for all the positives this car has, yeah I'd take that. And yes, I'm very rational....a different opinion does not make someone irrational. Unless of course it's on the internet ;)

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Mine has 4,300 miles and 2 track days (I'm solo, and go with intermediate group @ the glen...so, not easy on it ). So far it doesn't use any oil. I've had it since December '17, so 4,300 miles and a ton of fun in almost 2 seasons. Even if it did used a quart every 500 miles, 4 quarts for all the positives this car has, yeah I'd take that. And yes, I'm very rational....a different opinion does not make someone irrational. Unless of course it's on the internet ;)
The people complaining in here will:
Never own one because they have a $30k budget (maybe in 5 more years)
Never own one because it doesnt have at least 700hp
Never experience what the car can really do because they only drag race or race from a roll
LOL

So many members here complain about Ford in general, how the Ford GT has a V6. The Raptor has a v6. The GT350 isnt supercharged. Ford doesnt make an performance cars, yet they have a portfolio that caters to more than GM and Dodge combined. Even if the GT350 didnt consume oil. people here would complain that it isnt producing enough power yet nothing from Dodge or GM makes 529hp from an NA V8.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I’ll be unloading the Hellcat shortly to find an Avalanche Grey GT350 or a GTR. As far as oil consumption goes. Sure it may seem a bit troublesome to some but look at the E60 M5 or E92 M3. An old boss had a new V10 M5 and complained about the dealer telling him to keep a quart of oil in the trunk at all times. High revving NA engines are known for it.

If I have to add a quart every 750 -1000 miles so be it. It will be under warranty the entire time I own it so if it blows, Ford can install a new long block for me. I can tell you it will see 8250rpm every single day and then some too.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Wow....when did adding a quart of oil now and then become "high maintenance" to people that modify cars on the regular?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I’ll be unloading the Hellcat shortly to find an Avalanche Grey GT350 or a GTR. As far as oil consumption goes. Sure it may seem a bit troublesome to some but look at the E60 M5 or E92 M3. An old boss had a new V10 M5 and complained about the dealer telling him to keep a quart of oil in the trunk at all times. High revving NA engines are known for it.

If I have to add a quart every 750 -1000 miles so be it. It will be under warranty the entire time I own it so if it blows, Ford can install a new long block for me. I can tell you it will see 8250rpm every single day and then some too.
How are you getting your kid on board with selling? I thought he never wanted you to sell the car.

Also, I agree entirely with this. Adding a quart costs $7 from Rock Auto and takes less time than putting fuel in the car. It's convenient that the case comes with 12 and you only need 10 for an oil change.

8200 RPM is intoxicating and so is the sound.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
How are you getting your kid on board with selling? I thought he never wanted you to sell the car.

Also, I agree entirely with this. Adding a quart costs $7 from Rock Auto and takes less time than putting fuel in the car. It's convenient that the case comes with 12 and you only need 10 for an oil change.

8200 RPM is intoxicating and so is the sound.
It’s amazing what several hundred dollars worth of V-bucks in Fortnite will do for a 9yr old.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I wouldn't be happy about it, but its fairly common in many high hp NA motors these days and I have become accustomed to it. Several of my LS cars were oil burners, some much more than others (my 99 formula was 1QT every 1K miles), even with updated pcv components, catch cans, breathers etc.. My 2014 GT drinks a bit as well, probably around a 1-1.5 quarts every 3000 miles. I kicked around the idea of running vacuum pump for better ring sealing, but there doesn't seem to be much out there for late model coyote applications, though I am sure I could manage something.

blk02edge

Established Member
Wow....when did adding a quart of oil now and then become "high maintenance" to people that modify cars on the regular?
Well bone stock auto hellcats are the only way to go around here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread