My first oil change...What oil do you guys use??

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I changed my oil for the first time since ive had the car today. I didn't really know what kind of oil to use for this specific car/engine but i wanted to use the best stuff for sure. I looked on svtp for suggestions on what to use but there were so many opinions i didn't really know what to do. So i just went with Royal Purple 5W-20 synthetic but only because i saw Jimmysidecar's oil recommendation sticky thread. Is this a good oil to use or do you guys recommend a different type of oil? What do you use?
Thanks,

...also can i go back to non-synthetic if it turns out to not be the best?

IMG_20150702_171658_202_zps4oikopvn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

akeohan

Established Member
I'm running RP XPR 5W-30, have been for four years, car loves it. Yuo can swap back but it's not advised in some oil forums.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
It's all personal preference honestly. As long as you change your oil at the appropriate intervals you will be fine no matter which oil you run. I personally run Amsoil SS 0W-30

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
A lot of personal preference. RP is great and a lot of people use it. I use the stock oil and filter.

Cabbage

Established Member
Agreed. All new synthetic blend oils are very good. I read up on oil for days and finally decided to use Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic blend. Don't stress yourself out. Mobil 1
Royal Purple, Amsoil,Redline. Any oil will work just use a 5w20 or 5w30 and you'll be fine. If your worried just change it more often. Fresh oil is best. Good luck.

03slaminator

Established Member
5w20 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in my car since iv owned it. The previous owner ran the same oil. But royal purple is good also. It all comes down to what you wanna run. I just don't think you can go wrong with mobile 1 or RP.

Whatever you decide to go with then get it at Walmart. It is way way cheaper at wally then any of the auto parts stores.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
5w20 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in my car since iv owned it. The previous owner ran the same oil. But royal purple is good also. It all comes down to what you wanna run. I just don't think you can go wrong with mobile 1 or RP.

Whatever you decide to go with then get it at Walmart. It is way way cheaper at wally then any of the auto parts stores.

Yeah exactly. I spent $65 just on the oil and filter at Oreilly's. Also i was going to go with the Mobil 1 synthetic but when i got to the parts store an noticed the price difference between the two. I just didnt want to go with the cheaper stuff. Lol not that Mobil 1 is cheap, its just cheaper. Thats probably what ill go with next time though but a little thicker, 5W-30.

99FiveOh

Established Member
Always buy oil from Walmart. It's so much cheaper. I saw in one of these threads to us the Pennzoil Ultra SN 5w30 so that's what I ran. Walmart had it for 25.99/5 quart bottle.

Coxy

Established Member
Amsoil SS 5w30. I don't sweat the oil change in the Cobra. Truck takes 15qts, and filter, but had good luck with Ams. It's mostly preference for these cars, not dealing much with shearing, and crap.

Woody6799

Established Member
I ran RP HPS then I swapped to Amsoil. I run Mobil 1 in both my DD's. This year I put the HPS from the Cobra into my 210k mile exploder. Why waste good oil? I think some oils perform better than others but in the end a quality synthetic oil will do just fine.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
7 qt's of RP 5w30, once a year. After it leaves the Cobra, it finds a home in the truck, lawn mower, tiller and pressure washer.

NiceCobra

Established Member
I used motorcraft synthetic blend with motorcraft oil this last oil change I did.

Tractionless1

Established Member
For thos running Mobil 1 "full synthetic" do some research as Mobil sued to get natural base stocks included as synthetic. Not saying it's bad but you're paying full synthetic price for a semi-syn oil. I use Rotella T6 synthetic and typically score a gallon under $20. Run it in road racing motorcycles as well.

Users who are viewing this thread