My f450 at ford dealer damn near 90 days.

What course of action should the OP take

• Have a meeting with dealerships manager.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Contact Ford directly.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Get a lawyer.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • OP is a crybaby and should have had his wife fix the truck. fixed his own shit.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Here's a Ford diesel repair story that I felt I should share. In January I remote started my 2019 f450, it timed out and shut off. I then got in it to start it back up and leave for work. As I tried to start it, the starter would just long cycle turning the engine over but not fire off to run. I tried it a couple times and gave up. Took a different truck to work. I searched for trouble shooting at work, and the interweb suggested start at the fuel pump module. While I was at work my wife pulled the codes too. No big deal, I stopped by a Ford dealer bought the module and switched it out. Well...the truck still didn't start after changing the relay out. I made the decision to call a tow truck and have my truck taken to a local dealer. I followed truck up and checked in for repair. I went over what happened and what I did. I also said my wife pulled some codes. The dealership calls and says they started the truck up and couldn't get any codes could we email them the codes she got. So we did. They diagnosed it as fuse and relay box part HU5Z-14A067-A that costs $900. + labor. WTF and come to find out this part is not warranted being it's a 450 but is if it's a 250 or f350. It seems it's rather a common problem. I wanted to contact Ford for an explanation why something is warrantees in lighter trucks but not the 450. It seemed like a steep price for a part, so I called a buddy to see if he could get me a better deal on the part. He hooked me up for nearly half off. I was considering doing it myself, but just to busy making real money to screw with it. I asked the service writer if he would consider putting my new in the Ford sealed box in the truck. I dropped off the part and he stated he may be able to have Ford give me a preferred customer discount on the labor, because I seemed aggravated ford would warranty the repair. I tell him I want the original part back when I pick the truck up. Weeks went by I get a call the trucks fixed. I checked out got (A) part in the same box I brought to them. I go to the lot and a mechanic is still clearing codes in the lot with the door open. He says it all good. I drive home go to work the next day driving 100 miles then the truck won't start the next day. My wife goes out to try and start it....it fires off. She takes it up to the dealer. They say, it needs the tank fuel pumps replaced. How much is that going to cost me, should I get the part if I can save money. I get the part in a day. They call weeks later to pick up. I drive it home to load tools up in the middle of my driveway, go to move it....it won't start same situation as it first did. Starter just stays on long cycle and doesn't fire off engine. I couldn't hear the electric tank pump so I crawl underneath and the fuel pump module is unplugged. I plugged it in and it still didn't fire off.. Wife was able to start it the next day and drives it back up. They have it for another month and diagnosed it as the $900 fuse relay holder I supplied them the first go around. I tell them to replace it. It's their part this time. I pick up the truck today. I pay them $1200 and ask for my part. He says he sent it off. However after insisting I get the part back I supplied they give me a part plus the box the new part came in. The reason for this thread is the part I got today doesn't look like the part they said they replaced two months ago and gave me. I compared the two parts and the part they gave me 2 months ago was not from my truck. I know this because the circuit board manufacturers date is 2020 and my truck is a 2019. I don't think they replaced my supplied part since the truck would act up sporadically. Then sold me on fuel pumps I didn't need either. What do you think?

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Here's a Ford diesel repair story that I felt I should share. In January I remote started my 2019 f450, it timed out and shut off. I then got in it to start it back up and leave for work. As I tried to start it, the starter would just long cycle turning the engine over but not fire off to run. I tried it a couple times and gave up. Took a different truck to work. I searched for trouble shooting at work, and the interweb suggested start at the fuel pump module. While I was at work my wife pulled the codes too. No big deal, I stopped by a Ford dealer bought the module and switched it out. Well...the truck still didn't start after changing the relay out. I made the decision to call a tow truck and have my truck taken to a local dealer. I followed truck up and checked in for repair. I went over what happened and what I did. I also said my wife pulled some codes. The dealership calls and says they started the truck up and couldn't get any codes could we email them the codes she got. So we did. They diagnosed it as fuse and relay box part HU5Z-14A067-A that costs $900. + labor. WTF and come to find out this part is not warranted being it's a 450 but is if it's a 250 or f350. It seems it's rather a common problem. I wanted to contact Ford for an explanation why something is warrantees in lighter trucks but not the 450. It seemed like a steep price for a part, so I called a buddy to see if he could get me a better deal on the part. He hooked me up for nearly half off. I was considering doing it myself, but just to busy making real money to screw with it. I asked the service writer if he would consider putting my new in the Ford sealed box in the truck. I dropped off the part and he stated he may be able to have Ford give me a preferred customer discount on the labor, because I seemed aggravated ford would warranty the repair. I tell him I want the original part back when I pick the truck up. Weeks went by I get a call the trucks fixed. I checked out got (A) part in the same box I brought to them. I go to the lot and a mechanic is still clearing codes in the lot with the door open. He says it all good. I drive home go to work the next day driving 100 miles then the truck won't start the next day. My wife goes out to try and start it....it fires off. She takes it up to the dealer. They say, it needs the tank fuel pumps replaced. How much is that going to cost me, should I get the part if I can save money. I get the part in a day. They call weeks later to pick up. I drive it home to load tools up in the middle of my driveway, go to move it....it won't start same situation as it first did. Starter just stays on long cycle and doesn't fire off engine. I couldn't hear the electric tank pump so I crawl underneath and the fuel pump module is unplugged. I plugged it in and it still didn't fire off.. Wife was able to start it the next day and drives it back up. They have it for another month and diagnosed it as the $900 fuse relay holder I supplied them the first go around. I tell them to replace it. It's their part this time. I pick up the truck today. I pay them $1200 and ask for my part. He says he sent it off. However after insisting I get the part back I supplied they give me a part plus the box the new part came in. The reason for this thread is the part I got today doesn't look like the part they said they replaced two months ago and gave me. I compared the two parts and the part they gave me 2 months ago was not from my truck. I know this because the circuit board manufacturers date is 2020 and my truck is a 2019. I don't think they replaced my supplied part since the truck would act up sporadically. Then sold me on fuel pumps I didn't need either. What do you think?

From my experience, the issue with diagnosing and time doesn't seem out of the ordinary as there are sometimes issues where the primary problem won't show up so you are stuck fixing all these little additional problems trying to locate the root issue and it's time consuming and frustrating because when the tech gets the truck running and everything checks out for them then it appears the problem is fixed only for you to get it back and have it act up. Usually if that happens once to a customer I don't want it to happen again so we'll hang onto the car for some time after fixing it just to start it up every day and give the tech a chance to possibly experience it for himself so he can see it at the very onset of when the problems start. That always seemed to work out pretty well because customers absolutely hate dropping a few grand only to have to return for the same issue. It completely sours everything.

In this instance I'm not shocked by what the dealer is trying to figure out but it sounds like they aren't taking the customer service seriously and are making you the guinea pig. Have they tested the modules to confirm they all check out? Sounds like the PCM is knocking out the fuse box every time or something along those lines. Any security lights coming on?

Sounds like a crap dealer. Maybe take the truck out of there and find a good reputable independent shop with some techs who have a lot of experience, like a few decades worth because that isn't an easy issue.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
What an absolute nightmare. Having your truck for weeks on end is totally unacceptable, I would have raised hell after two days. I hope they at least gave you an equal loaner vehicle. Some of these dealers are absolutely terrible, like mentioned above find a good independent shop. If it's not in warranty anymore, you may want to think about other places for repair. These new cars with all their fancy electronics are going to be hard to live with down the road.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
If it were under warranty and in SC I could help.

I'm at 96k, so 3000 miles till its out of warranty. A friend had suggested taking it to arbitration? Apparently you file on line and everything is handled over the phone. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hm.

Sounds like an interesting situation.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm at 96k, so 3000 miles till its out of warranty. A friend had suggested taking it to arbitration? Apparently you file on line and everything is handled over the phone. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

In SC, I'd file a suit for breach of warranty - which could lead to triple damages plus atty fees. I can get most things settled here with a demand letter.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Ford really needs to do something about their terrible service at dealers. Some of these trucks clip 6 figures and you dont even get a loaner. You can buy a used $25k lexus and when you go in for service they treat you like royalty and if you they do keep your vehicle for any amount of time they give you a loaner.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ford really needs to do something about their terrible service at dealers. Some of these trucks clip 6 figures and you dont even get a loaner. You can buy a used $25k lexus and when you go in for service they treat you like royalty and if you they do keep your vehicle for any amount of time they give you a loaner.

Just depends on the dealer as far as Ford goes. It sucks. But Ford is trying to remedy that situation.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

Even got treated worlds better at the local Dodge dealerships of all places.

Had a full lineup of loaners, from the Challenger up to the 1500.

I've gone to the same Ford dealer for almost 20 years and since COVID they've stopped GAF about loaners.
Last time they finally gave me a loaner, to my surprise. Probably cause they have nearly 100 F-150's just sitting on the lot now.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member

I've gone to the same Ford dealer for almost 20 years and since COVID they've stopped GAF about loaners.
Last time they finally gave me a loaner, to my surprise. Probably cause they have nearly 100 F-150's just sitting on the lot now.

The Ford dealer we use doesn't offer loaners, even for stuff covered under warranty or recall. They have an in-house Hertz dealer who they send you to. It's discounted but not free.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I mean. If they don't have vehicles how can they provide loaners?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

i was always irked when i had my lightning. "SVT premium" service was the biggest joke in the industry. Half didnt know it was a thing and the other half didnt bother to participate. SMH

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I mean. If they don't have vehicles how can they provide loaners?

They sold all the loaners and didn't restock them for a good bit.
Also used to have a relationship with Enterprise but ended that too.
My Advisor was ranting over it for a few years. Said it was pissing off a lot of customers.

Just found it interesting between dealers, as even when new cars were slowly trickling in, the local Dodge dealers always kept their loaner fleet loaded and could get one without an appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread