my CSVT doesnt seem as fast as others??

Champ10187

Established Member
I drive a 98 CSVT and i've driven another 98 and a 99 CSVT and both of them seem alot faster than mine. I noticed that at around 3900 my contour gets a little kick to it and the others i've driven seem to be lower in the rpm range. What are some things that could make it that much slower than other completely stock SVT's??

Steeltwo

Established Member
you might have a clogged cat
secondaries might not open at the right time
might have a dirty air filter

plugs and wires might be in need of changing.

Champ10187

Established Member
also i forgot to mention.....after i drive the car and then let it sit for 2 or 3 hours, when i go to start it back up it just turns over and doesn't start unless i keep holding the ignition and holding the gas. Then when it does finally start up it shoots out black smoke but then after that its fine. Its only when the car cools down a little bit.....could that have to do with the cats??

what would be the fix for the secondaries not opening at the right time.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
There are two points when the secondaires open up. If you are just cruising, around 4k. When your beating on it they should open up around 3500. the IMRC (the black box on the front valve cover) is what opens them. I would think if they open at 4k then they should open at 3500. As for the starting problem. When you go to start it turn the key to the on position. And let the fuel system build up pressure then try to start it. As for holding the gas, it does nothing on a Fuel Injected Car.

all costume SVT

Established Member
my car also doesen't get power until 3,900rpm. I also have a weird thing going when i floor it it feels loke the power kicks in every now and then wile it works its way up to 7,000rpm's? any tips on how or why this is?

stunts

Established Member
I am going to throw fuel pump to the list of possible culprits. Has yours ever been replaced?
I would check most of what has been posted above first, they are easier and cheaper and wont hurt if it has been a while for plugs, wires, and an air filter.
In my experience cats and o2's generally generate a CEL where as the fuel pump didnt.

all costume SVT

Established Member
the fule pump was replaced, so were the spark plgs & wires, wepon R filter. all is new but i am going to through a HI flow cat on and see what that does. My buddy saw some smoke come out of the exhust when i was racing so that might be the problem, it has almost 80,000 on it!

Champ10187

Established Member
my car shoots out smoke as well when i'm flooring it. I think my cats are bad b/c when i get out of the car after driving it there is alot of ticking...you know the sound you hear when the metal gets hot and then begins to cool down......which makes me think the cats are clogged and producing alot of heat.....does that make sense or no?? Would clogged cats cause the black smoke as well?

Champ10187

Established Member
i know the ticking noise is normal but this is excessive. A guy i know had the same problem with his mustang. The car was sitting a while and it had alot of miles on in and when he started driving in again it ran like poop and we put up on a hoist and started it up and the cats would glowing and after you could hear they were more hot than normal becuase there was an excessive amount of "ticking" and was shooting out alot of smoke on start up.....like mine. so hopefully new cars will help. What do you guys reccomend as far as new hi-flow cats are concerned?

Last edited:

RX-SVT-7

fixed!!!

Make sure your imrc cable is not frayed. And also check the green electric board for cold sotter joints. I had that same exact problem now it work like brand new. Oh also if the cable is frayed buy a brake cable at your local bike shop. Hope this helps.

leumerg

Established Member
your powerband is not kicking in properly (3900 in stead of 34-3500 and not pulling all the way to 6850) because you probably have (I think is called) intake arm problem it's on the lower half of your motor regulates air into motor (consider "emisson Problem" my warranty woulden't cover it

leumerg

Established Member
You also need to get the carbon cleaned from your motor thats were your black smoke is coming from

Hunt

Established Member
My Car doesnt have the kick till about 4000. I have never realized that anyone elses goes before?

I have raced it, while everything is same as when i bought it, which is a drop in K&N, Importish mufflers (bearable ones) res removed. and thats it.

I live in Utah, raced at RMR and my best is:

R/T - .690
60' - 2.323
330 - 6.614
1/8 - 10.174
MPH - 69.031
1000 - 13.238
1/4 - 15.828
MPH - 86.67

I just thought that the .4 dif would have been elevation? do you think i would see much better times if i could get my IMRC to open earlier?? and how would i do that?

sorry for thread jack and length :)

-Daniel

Champ10187

Established Member
Originally posted by leumerg
You also need to get the carbon cleaned from your motor thats were your black smoke is coming from

how do i get the carbon cleaned from the motor? The starting problem is occuring more often now. It takes about 5-10 seconds of holding the ignition b4 it fires up and then sometimes right after it starts up it dies again so i have to give it a little gas right after it starts. anymore possible solutions?

Users who are viewing this thread