My cold air intake has no provision for drivers side PCV intake air connect - help

twistedneck

Established Member
Got a very nice custom 4.5" cai from Drew and its making some very good power so far. Right now we just have the drivers side pcv open to the air, the rest of the pcv system is hooked up normally, i.e. the passenger side is hooked to the intake manifold behind the throttle body.

I"m worried this will create an issue with unmetered air getting into the engine, just like a vacuum leak.

my plan was to just put a breather filter on the drivers side and call it a day, but then my tuners pointed out that was not a good idea.

the other thing I was told to do was just put breathers on both sides, but that would not allow any vacuuming out of the oil gases from the engine and sludge will build up.

Ideas welcome.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I just run breathers on both sides which is perfectly fine. You don't want to run one breather while the other is to the intake manifold, you are correct in that it will take in unmetered air. You could also route both vc ports to a catch can, and recirc that through the intake manifold port. Any gases built up will exit through the breathers, and will not cause sludge build up cause of this.

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
I just run breathers on both sides which is perfectly fine. You don't want to run one breather while the other is to the intake manifold, you are correct in that it will take in unmetered air. You could also route both vc ports to a catch can, and recirc that through the intake manifold port. Any gases built up will exit through the breathers, and will not cause sludge build up cause of this.

I drive this car a lot of miles and am worried about sludge build up so I want to have the stock pcv system going if at all possible.

The crew at Vorshlag did a double vacuum thing and sucked the rear main seal loose resulting in an oil leak. other side of the coin is sludge...

Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - auto-x/track build - Page 27 - Vorshlag Motorsports Forum

OR.

I can tap into your cold air intake tube after the maf right near the throttle body - like this pic.

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects/Vorshlag-2011-Mustang-GT-build/i-q9MF9zF/1/X3/DSC_0693-X3.jpg

but then I would be messing up the air flow, creating a potential air leak due to soft aluminum threads, etc....

01bluesnake

Established Member
The PCV setup isn't going to stop sludge build up in a motor, it's main job is just to recirculate any unburned hydrocarbon gasses that pass the rings which create crank case pressure. They get recirculated for emission standards so that the hydrocarbons get burned hopefully and not released to the atmosphere. The only problem with recirculating crank case pressure/gasses is the oil mist/residue gets back into the intake, and can puddle which when burned lowers the effective octane level of a fuel. You won't see any negative affects to running a catch can setup instead of breathers or vice versa. If you would like to make a port on the CAI, JLT has a push in adaptor that uses a grommet to allow recirc of the PCV line.

twistedneck

Established Member
The PCV setup isn't going to stop sludge build up in a motor, it's main job is just to recirculate any unburned hydrocarbon gasses that pass the rings which create crank case pressure. They get recirculated for emission standards so that the hydrocarbons get burned hopefully and not released to the atmosphere. The only problem with recirculating crank case pressure/gasses is the oil mist/residue gets back into the intake, and can puddle which when burned lowers the effective octane level of a fuel. You won't see any negative affects to running a catch can setup instead of breathers or vice versa. If you would like to make a port on the CAI, JLT has a push in adaptor that uses a grommet to allow recirc of the PCV line.

I agree, and also there are not a lot of good spots to mount the PCV intake tube in. I change the hell out of the oil and am using e85 so I don't think my low miles car will have a sludge issue.

Yagermeister told me to use this one,

2011+ GT/Boss Breather Package - Justin's Performance Center

I can also hook a pcv vacuum pump / tank setup in there if I can find one. ever seen one of those?

01bluesnake

Established Member
I agree, and also there are not a lot of good spots to mount the PCV intake tube in. I change the hell out of the oil and am using e85 so I don't think my low miles car will have a sludge issue.

Yagermeister told me to use this one,

2011+ GT/Boss Breather Package - Justin's Performance Center

I can also hook a pcv vacuum pump / tank setup in there if I can find one. ever seen one of those?

I just measured the diameter and found some K&N breathers that push on without the little adapters. I think they were a little cheaper as well. I wouldn't recommend a vacuum pump setup, not very common on a street car motor. Not sure you would see any benefit as these motors seal very well with very little blow by. A vacuum pump is generally for loose ring cars(power adders) making big power to help get out all the blow by.

Running a real pcv system again.. working well.

FTG-QuickTap-CompHSG : atpturbo.com

idea from AED Shaun.

Ok cool. I would still recommend a catch can or separator setup to capture any oil residue/mist to keep from getting into the intake and motor.

Users who are viewing this thread