My Cobra search, not so good....and bad experience

Jordansrt

Established Member
Recently been checking into getting a 03-04. I currently drive a 08 Caliber srt4, which I still really like because of the 300hp and 30mpg, but I also work from home so gas isnt that big of a worry.
Recently I found a 03 with 23,000 miles at a ford dealership 2 hours away from me. I contacted the dealership and they set up a appointment with me this past Saturday at 10am. I drive for 2 hours and get their around 10.05am when I notice a man and his son with a salesman already walking around the car. To make a long story short, they bought it and drove it away right in-front of me. 2 hours back to the house.....

Sunday I call on a higher mileage thats only 20 minutes from me at a dodge dealership. I set up the appointment and show up and once again, a man and his son are about to test drive....
A hour later they decided they couldnt afford it and I finally got to drive it. It was silver and had 69,000 miles with a asking price of 16.9. First thing I notice is the front bumper is coming off, and when the salesman opened the hood for me the cobra emblem came off in his hand. I got inside and the driver side window wasnt on track and made a horrible noise. Also some of the plastic parts inside were loose and shaking and it seemed whenever I got on it I could feel the car jerk real hard, not smooth at all. The salesman kept telling me it was 445whp and I kept asking how he came to that as I noticed no mods under the hood and he said thats what he was told. I went to the trunk and noticed rust around the trunk and also the brake light was busted. I was only offered 11k for my srt trade in and he wouldnt come off the price at all knowing the things I pointed out. I left more frustrated than I had came..

Last edited:

Mulldune

Established Member
Do not be in rush to buy one.Figure out what you want in a Cobra and don't settle.Once I got into looking for one it took me two years to find the one I didnt mind dropping the coin on.(I wanted as close to stock as I could get,and as low miles as I could get,ended up with a DSG w8800 miles)It was well worth the wait

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Yeah I would try to find one on here and sell your car in the meantime. When I bought my last Supra (97 TT 6spd) I got it on supraforums and flew out to LA and drove it all the way back....patience pays off.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Like the above said keep an eye on the market here. More than likely to find the best deal there. I looked at the market section / autotrader / craiglist / ebay for over a year before i found the price/distance/color i wanted.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
don't be hasty....the right car will show up eventually. took me 8mos of looking when i bought mine 6+ years ago.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
04 terminator mystichrome with 6k miles on it. 30 k and I will pay for your ticket out here to pick it up.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
:beer:
didn't know you were ready to sell???
I'm not really. but I have stuff I want to finish up on the house and getting it done is more important than keeping the car. so if I get what I want for it I will sell. if I don't I will hang on to it. I know I will regret selling it but sometimes the hard decision has to be made for the greater good

Jordansrt

Established Member
Not being hasty guys, I have been on here reading for over a year now but have recently began my search. The first one was zinc yellow and only had 23000 miles and I had the salesman down to 21 without mentioning my trade. The second was to get a feel for the car as I hadnt even drove one. I am staying on auto-trader,ebay,cars.com,craigslist,lemonfree lol. My problem is I still owe around 7 on my Srt so buying private sales is not ideal

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Keep looking and try not to get frustrated even though it's hard not to in some situations. I found my car on ebay in a neighboring state and picked it up with 4700 miles on the clock 5 years ago. Never thought I'd buy a car from ebay but searched anyways and found my gem.

The Mongoose

Established Member
OP, first off, good luck with the search. I too agree to take your time and be picky so you get exactly what you want. The Market section on here is my new favorite place to go. I too agree that you need to sell your current car outright. Dealerships will rape you on both ends; sale and trade in. I currently own a 2002 WS6 with 45k on her that I own outright. I'm going to get her sold and then take my time to find a 03 Cobra in the color I want with the mods I want.

Jordansrt

Established Member
Keep looking and try not to get frustrated even though it's hard not to in some situations. I found my car on ebay in a neighboring state and picked it up with 4700 miles on the clock 5 years ago. Never thought I'd buy a car from ebay but searched anyways and found my gem.

I actually picked up my last car on ebay and my current one from CT :)

vr4

Established Member
List your car for sale now. If it sells buy a cheap beater than you can easily resell for what you paid when you do find the cobra.

The last thing you want is to find the cobra you want then be stuck either taking it in the rear on the srt or being stuck with both and rushing to sell it.

LGHTEMUP

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
keep looking dont get mad just look for the one you want will come soon enough..i looked for almost 3 months after i sold my 700hp lightning..GL

Users who are viewing this thread