My Cobra is hesitating after BAP + upgrade install

roushstage2

Established Member
I just got through installing the Kenne Bell Boost a Pump with the lethal perf. upgrade and also a MAFxtender. My cobra is completely stock except for intake, and headers + exhaust. The MAFxtender has the bypass plug installed right now until it gets tuned so I figure that’s not the problem. The BAP dial is turned down to 0% also.

What happens is when the car is idling at 700 RPM’s, if I push the window buttons the RPM’s will fall to 500 RPM’s and the car starts to hesitate. It does not completely stall or cut off it will just hesitate until I let up off of the window button. Also when the headlights are on, you can see them get dim when rolling the windows up or down.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this may be or how to fix it? I figure it may be the battery or the alternator. Does it need a new alternator or is this just normal?

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
honestly, i would say that it is normal for your headlights to go dim whenever you roll your windows up/down. Mine does it and did it when it was stock. As far as anything else goes, i wouldn't know what to tell you but ill keep an eye out.

roushstage2

Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
honestly, i would say that it is normal for your headlights to go dim whenever you roll your windows up/down. Mine does it and did it when it was stock. As far as anything else goes, i wouldn't know what to tell you but ill keep an eye out.

Yea I'm pretty sure it did that before I installed those parts. The part that gets me is the RPM issue. I know it didnt do that before installing, because that is something I would have noticed easily.

LeoGSVT

Banned
why would you install a BAP and maf extender if your car is close to stock?? no need for those mods at all..even if you plan to heavy mod later..

MikeW

Established Member
Check the fuses in the power distribution box. The fuel pump fuse and then check the in-line fuse in the BAP. Sounds like a wire may be shorting out or your alt is acting up. Keep us up to date. Good Luck

roushstage2

Established Member
LeoGSVT said:
why would you install a BAP and maf extender if your car is close to stock?? no need for those mods at all..even if you plan to heavy mod later..

Because I will not be stock for long :D :D
I have the following to install in the next few weeks

Stage IV ported supercharger
2.93 upper
4lb lower
JLT high boost CAI
60 injectors
Zex 100hp shot

I figure I will need the BAP and xtender once those go on.

roushstage2

Established Member
97topless snake said:
Check the fuses in the power distribution box. The fuel pump fuse and then check the in-line fuse in the BAP. Sounds like a wire may be shorting out or your alt is acting up. Keep us up to date. Good Luck

The fuel pump fuse in the dist. box is a 30 amp, and the BAP fuse is a 30 amp. The fuse in the power line is a 40 amp fuse.

I will go through and check my wiring agian.

Thanks for everyones help.

roushstage2

Established Member
There has been a new development in my situation. I come home today and the car is still doing the samething (rough idle at stops). All guages in the car are normal. I get home and decide to check the battery and alternator voltage while the car is running. I raise the hood and get the voltage meter and all of a sudden the radiator cap breaks loose and coolant goes everywhere. I rush to the car and check the guages and the temp. guage is near the red line. I turn the car off and direct fans blowing air at the engine.

That was a few hours ago, and now the engine has cooled off. The coolant tank is empty, and I am totally confused. :shrug: :shrug:

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm guessing to refill the tank, check the crossover tube, and run the car and check for any more overheating. I have not touched the engine cooling system since I have had the car, and have had no overheating problems ever.

roushstage2

Established Member
NHRACobra said:
Was the cooling fan working when it overheated?
Well after it cooled off I filled it back up with coolant and started it up. The fan never came on even after it reached operating temp. Do you think its a blown fuse? I will check the fuses tomorrow, can anyone think of anything else that would cause the fan not to work?
Thanks again guys.

roushstage2

Established Member
JMD0346 said:
You messed with the wiring for the BAP so... Thats where I would look. I bet youve got something wired up wrong or have blown a fuse.
I checked the cooling fan fuse, and it is ok.

Could someone tell me what the regular operating temps are for the coolant? I am going to data log the temps today and see what I get.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
My fan comes on at 212 in normal driving with the air off.

If you turn the air on the fan should come on too. Might be a way to check quickly if its working....

roushstage2

Established Member
Heres an update for you guys

The cobra is now at the dealership, and it looks like I have installed the most expensive MAFxtender than anyone. Right now its upto a couple hundred just to diagnose the problem. The motor is skipping, and the coolant fan won't come on after the car reaches operating temp.

I'm still not quite sure what I did, but the service dept said there is a burnt wire coming out of the PCM (causing the fan not to come on).

I recommend that anyone reading this buy the MAFia rather than the MAFxtender.

roushstage2

Established Member
pony4pt6 said:
didn't have any problems installing my mafextender..are you sure you spliced it into the correct wires on the pcm harness?

Yea I'm pretty sure (I had the instructions right in front of me).

New Update:
A relay went bad, which the dealership is going to have to special order. I think the relay is made of 24k gold :eek: because its going to cost $200 just for it. So far the total is going to be $500 and their not for sure if that is going to correct the problem. :cryying: :cryying:

I dont know that me installing the MAFxtender is what caused this, but its odd that this happened right after I installed it.

I'll keep everyone updated, as the cost goes up & up. :fm: :bash:

SpeedRacerXX1

Established Member
would of took everything back out and checked to see if car was ok...
then if ok redo the work.......then if prob persists check wiring...and double check....then ask someone else to check....if your not sure....but dont ever bring car to dealer with stuff like that on it where you cut into harness cause thats what they will blame everything on....no matter what

Users who are viewing this thread