My cobra can't beat a GT

Jamie R.

Established Member
You need to go spin that car on a dyno to verify how much you are making at the wheels. For about 50 to 75 bucks you should be able to get a a/f reading and what the car is making to the tire. These cars are very finicky to launch and if you let the car bog as you guys obviously did then your et will greatly suffer. With the stock gear you have to rev the car to get it to go and slip the clutch. How much slip you guys need depends on your car but a great pass for me with the stock gear equaled I could smell the clutch. You would have to rev the car up above 3 grand and slip the clutch. The mph is very, very low for that car that's why I suggest spinning the car on the dyno to check it out. Oh yeah, 6800 rpms shifts. Give ya a reference here, with the stock gear I ran a 12.81@107-108 and I'm not the only one to have done that as Quick01 broke the 12's on the stock gear also. You've got the car to do it, you just have to figure it out. Good luck!!!!!!!!! If you need any help pm me and I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Your 60' is killing your time. For every 1/10 you knock off your 60, that is 2/10s on the top end (general rule). You need to get your 60' down to a 2.0 or below. So, the 3/10 (the 2.35 60') you had gave you an extra 6/10 on the top end in your ET. IE, launch better and your ET will get better.

How are you shifting? With your slow speed, it sounds like you are shifting fairly slowly from 1-2 and 2-3. Your car should be trapping around 100 (like everyone else said).

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
lol, might be me, might be the video.. but it looked like you were hitting the brakes before you crossed the traps.

Solo500

Established Member
No, that's just the taillights. It was the camera out of focus, and then coming back into focus.

Last edited:

rickymh

Established Member
70mph roll? wtf are u guys trying to do a top speed race of 150mph?

race him at a 25mph roll have ur car 1st gear. That GT will be gone!!!

Race him from a digg and hes gone!

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
my 99 (before i bought it) ran 13.2s with stock gears, dont remember the rest of the times

(btw: meaning i ran it for a friend at the track, then bought it a year later)

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Yep...92TS.....that's not right....you'd have to short shift 1-2 and 2-3..and granny shift on top of htat if you car was right.

Next track visit....shift 65-6800rpm.........and +1 on the suggestion to strap it down on a dyno and look at your A/F and numbers. Your CEL may be a big cause to this. It may not just be the MIL's. You could be running lean without a custom dyno tune. Pull the plugs and see how white they are.

Users who are viewing this thread