My clutch exploded today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironhand

Banned
Now if someone wants to know how to properly destroy a clutch, you sir have done excellent. :beer:

gt347mustang

Established Member
Glad you're ok!!! Just imagine what that would do to skin and bone, if it did all that damage to aluminum and steel!

In for more pics!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Looks like the shop forgot to mention the grenade they put in when they did the TOB!! Wow! Glad you are still walking after that. Could have been much worse.

mustanginky

Established Member
man that could have been so bad!!! that's one of the worst i've seen. thank god you still have feet! scares me seeing that kinda stuff.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If your clutch is slipping replace it as soon as you can people....

Tims97SVT

Established Member
fidanza 4.3 clutch and steel flywheel.

I had the same clutch. The hub came apart on mine! I'd call Fidanza looking for some money! They gave me a new flywheel because I was not going to use their clutch again. It was like pulling teeth! They know this is a problem. Best of luck to you!

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Is there some truth behind this?

I'd like to know if running down your clutch down to the point of slippage will cause this type of failure.

Yes, it's warn out and would be wear on the rivets that hold the clutch material to the disc itself. If you grind the rivet heads off then you can guess what'll happen.

oldmodman

Established Member
And those picture are why Big Daddy Don Garlits built his next dragster with the engine behind him. When his clutch blew up it cut his foot up quite badly. As well as cutting the dragster in half.

And I will be spending some hard earned cash on a Quick Time Bell Housing Scattershield

QuickTime RM-8080 - QuickTime Bellhousings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

(where are the 15% off coupons when you need them)

TrevorR90

Banned
Yes, it's warn out and would be wear on the rivets that hold the clutch material to the disc itself. If you grind the rivet heads off then you can guess what'll happen.

You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what happened. If anyone was wondering, I needed a new clutch. I did not know until the day I saw the clutch, it was pretty worn out.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what happened. If anyone was wondering, I needed a new clutch. I did not know until the day I saw the clutch, it was pretty worn out.

That really sucks. When I had to have my transmission built is when I saw that the clutch in the car needed replaced. I guess it was a good thing that I broke the transmission first.
Hopefully you get it fixed easily and quickly. Definitely get a blow proof bell. Mcleod has their steel bellhousings on ebay for 195+ shipping, which is a steal.

601Mystic04

Svt addiction
Established Member
Ditto^^^^ This makes me really wanna consider that bell housing now:eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread