My clutch exploded today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorR90

Banned
UPDATED* 1/30/2012*
Clutch did a number on my car. My floorboard has 2 holes in it, 1 of my headers has a nice size dent in it, the t56 wiring harness is shredded to bits, but no thats not the best part. My block is done for. The part that connects the bellhousing to the block chipped off....

DSC00595.jpg

DSC00591.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00586.jpg

I pressed down the clutch the whole way and gave my car a quick rev.. Then I hear this loud boom and my clutch goes to the floor. Didn't take pictures of the road (Road had 3 nice little craters) but I swept up the damage and put them in a bag. Anyone had this happen to them? And what causes a clutch to explode like that? I had a shop install a new TOB 3 weeks prior and new clutch cable 2 months prior...
IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Typically there's some kind of warning for something like that. Very odd.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Holy crap man. I was at the track one time and my pedal went to the floor and when I got home the clutch disc had seperated from the pressure plate.

CIMG0266.jpg

Brutal DSG

Angry Turtle
Established Member
Holy Crap!!!!! Last time I saw that was a BB Chevy leaving on a huge fogger system he towed the car to my shop with a garbage bag full of pieces just like that

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Damn!! Don't see this much anymore. This is why i went with blowproof bell. When everyone was ragging on me for putting "that heavy thing in there". I'll show them this thread

V8DER

04 Teminator
Established Member
Damm. Better picking it up off the ground than having that thing buzz saw your dashboard and feet. :beer: Seeing this makes me happy i put that quicktime scatter shield in mine.

Last edited:

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Wow. That's why I put a scatter shield in my Fox when I built it. Good thing you didn't lose a foot!

SuperSport01

Established Member
IMO performance cars should leave the factory with blow proof bellhousings. Any clutch that gets abused can do this.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I pressed down the clutch the whole way and gave my car a quick rev.. Then I hear this loud boom and my clutch goes to the floor. Didn't take pictures of the road (Road had 3 nice little craters) but I swept up the damage and put them in a bag. Anyone had this happen to them? And what causes a clutch to explode like that? I had a shop install a new TOB 3 weeks prior and new clutch cable 2 months prior...
IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

All that shrapnel makes me think you may also have had a FLYWHEEL EXPLOSION. They can be very dangerous indeed, and a very good reason not to reuse a badly over heated and cracked flywheel during a clutch replacement.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
All that shrapnel makes me think you may also have had a FLYWHEEL EXPLOSION. They can be very dangerous indeed, and a very good reason not to reuse a badly over heated and cracked flywheel during a clutch replacement.

Yeah this. I've had a clutch come apart and nothing happened except tons of fibers coming out the cooling holes.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Oh and I'd be taking it back to the shop. New TOB and then the flywheel explodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread