My 98 GT 4v track/drift car build thread...

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
In preparation for my next track day friday i finished up the suspension and wheel clearance the other night finally. Clearanced everything that could be a tire rubbing issue. The k member trimmed and relocated the sway bar back with some old school MM sway bar relocation brackets which are normally used for forward offset a-arms. I just flipped them around so it moved the sway bar backwards instead.
fix1_zps7a9c9257.jpg

fix2_zps52c27afd.jpg

And now here is the steering angle i have at full lock with tons of room between the tires and k-member on the back and plenty of room between the tires and sway bar up front. These are my 18x9 Saleen wheels with 265/40/18's off of my daily that i used for testing purposes. I normally run a 245 or 255 up front. So if it cleared this bigger setup i know its good to go.
fix3_zps65fa1c32.jpg

Last edited:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
In preparation for my next track day friday i finished up the suspension and wheel clearance the other night finally. Clearanced everything that could be a tire rubbing issue. The k member trimmed and relocated the sway bar back with some old school MM sway bar relocation brackets which are normally used for forward offset a-arms. I just flipped them around so it moved the sway bar backwards instead.
fix1_zps7a9c9257.jpg

fix2_zps52c27afd.jpg

And now here is the steering angle i have at full lock with tons of room between the tires and k-member on the back and plenty of room between the tires and sway bar up front. These are my 18x9 Saleen wheels with 265/40/18's off of my daily that i used for testing purposes. I normally run a 245 or 255 up front. So if it cleared this bigger setup i know its good to go.
fix3_zps65fa1c32.jpg

Nice work:rockon:

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Took my car out to the track last night for an open practice event.
opend1_zps604f7c87.jpg

I got a ton of seat time. Got to really feel the car out real good as well. The car has a ton of front grip and a ton of rear grip which made it easy to put it where i wanted and if i made a mistake easy to correct. I gave out alot of ride alongs as well. I myself didnt get any pix or videos but i have a few friends that did so when i get some i will post them.

Now for the bad. It just wouldnt be a perfect night with out breaking something right? Towards the end of the night i came hot out of the hairpin and into the straight and BOOM my wheel sheared all my moroso studs off and did some damage. The wheel went towards the pits/staging lanes and almost took out the staging guy. It was alot of fun getting it on the trailer thankfully we had a winch. We got the car home and i pounded out the studs while the car was still on the trailer. I threw in some stockers for now so i could put the wheel on and drive it off. Im going to get some ARP studs and call it a day. Other than that im happy with the progress we made and cant wait to get back out there.

opend2_zpse1bbdb47.jpg

opend3_zpsff229f1b.jpg

And here is some more damage i found
opend4_zpse1bbdb47.jpg

Last edited:

Prototype007

Established Member
Glad nobody got killed! I've seen what it's like when a wheel flys off a car and strikes another vehicle at road speeds and it's no good!

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Glad nobody got killed! I've seen what it's like when a wheel flys off a car and strikes another vehicle at road speeds and it's no good!

Yeah seriously. The tire got dragged under the rear bumper and bash bar and then popped out so that slowed it down alot luckily.

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
So continuing from last night i took off the bumper and come to find the bash bar got bent in under the quarter panel.
bentbb_zps4598e3ee.jpg

And when we got the car loaded after the incident
tow3wheelmustang_zps2e2a9438.jpg

Now for the part everybody has been asking for, Videos! lol! I didnt take these and these were all cell phone shot videos so they are short and the quality isnt great but you can hear the car nice and clear and see how it does. Enjoy!

Hairpin turn out of the staging lanes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VLaZEr39G4

Sweeper and back corner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BZhEjwM8o0

Sweeper shallowed up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSaaTxGLaCI

And where i sheared the studs off and lost the wheel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE0gOuhjuFE

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Got my ARP studs and Ford Racing open end lug nuts today.
arp1_zps9501f114.jpg

Got them installed as well today. Knocked out the moroso studs on the other side and replaced them with ARP's as well.
arp2_zps27604d52.jpg

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Holy crap just went through your whole build man. That's damn impressive. I would be pissed as hell with all your small setbacks but you seem to take it well.

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Holy crap just went through your whole build man. That's damn impressive. I would be pissed as hell with all your small setbacks but you seem to take it well.

Thank you, i appreciate the kind words. Well that is part of it. When you go hard and/or race your car hard things can tend to happen, its to be expected especially in drifting since you are putting hard load on the whole car's drivetrain, suspension, body, tires wheels etc. For awhile the car was super reliable but since ive changed alot of things for the better its been having little issues here and there, kind of working the bugs out as well go. But just so you have an idea here is a list of the things that ive encountered the past 2 years going to the track.

1 - AMP Sideways Sundays open practice pre-competition lake elsinore May 2013 - Blew out a spark plug and had an engine fire.

2 - AMP Camp Honey Bager drift event Aug 2013 - Electrical issues with the fuel system

3 - Irwindale Thursday Night Drift Aug 2014 - Bent a strut and shredded a tire and rim

4 - AMP Sideways Sunday Competition event lake elsinore Aug 2014 - Broke the spindle, broke the outter tierod hiem joint, and bent inner tierod.

5 - AMP open practice Nov 2014 - Wheel sheared off the studs.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
What popped the Moroso studs? Just too much force? Are the ARP that much stronger? Glad it wasn't worse than it was.

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
What popped the Moroso studs? Just too much force? Are the ARP that much stronger? Glad it wasn't worse than it was.

Not sure really. I torqued the wheels down with a torque wrench as well. Its the 2nd time moroso studs have sheared off on me and the first time on this car. I had a 2000 GT 6 years ago and had the same thing happen when i was drag racing.
And ive had a few people tell me that the same has happened to them as well with moroso studs.

The ARP's are supposed to be the strongest, seems like everybody runs those. So shouldnt have an issue now.

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Took my car out to a car show on sunday. It was nice to drive it. Also took it with no rear bumper since i havent fixed it yet. Gave people a chance to check out what was going on back there lol!
showup1_zps1dcfa765.jpg

showup2_zpsfe05657b.jpg

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Its been a minute. Been busy with life stuff in general and holidays but im back at it. Addressing my my tire rubbing issues on the front sway bar i came across last track event. I was donated a cracked kenny brown front sway bar which i welded up the crack and plated it on both sides.
garageday3_zps793540c2.jpg

The angle i have now without rubbing the sway bar, These are 18x10s with 255's. Gonna be running a 18x9 with 245's.
garageday1_zps46d5a9e4.jpg

I also modified a chin spoiler for my front bumper this weekend
garageday2_zpsdece6a83.jpg

What do you guys think? Im happy with how it came out. Looks way better in person though.
garageday4_zps77164050.jpg

And also put my rear bumper back on :)
garageday6_zpse6eba0c1.jpg

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
God that is one hell of a steering angle.
You can make a normal U-turn on a 2 lane road and never get off the pavement. lol

Nice build.

Users who are viewing this thread