My 51,000 Mile Oil Report

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
My oil report at 51,000 miles.

this is the oil i ran for the spring svtoa road course event at autobahn country club.

Suck it, oil queers!

july06oilreport.jpg

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Had you previously seen high levels of silicon? Are you running a K&N air filter and was that the concern? Thanks for posting the data.

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
Where is a good place to send your oil in the Texas area or does it matter and what does it cost?
Seems like some important info to know.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
i changed it the thursday before a track event, ran the track event, and changed it again two weeks later. so there arent a lot of miles on this oil, but it was used for enough time that the sample would have shown something. car is driven dailyi too. i also got the oil temps over 250 and the coolant temps to 260. im betting oil temp was 325-350. half-hour track sessions in 80 degree sun.

I didnt get a TBN this time because the last sample had 6500 miles on it and they said try another thousand. im not interested in going THAT far between oil changes.

the sample kit is free from http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and the analyses are $25 for what you see above, and another $10 for a TBN (total base number) which measures how much life is left in the oil if you want to know how far you can go between changes. It cost something like $1.58 to send the sample usps to indiana. took about seven business days to get the results, and they email and snail mail them.

if i were doing fleet maintenance, i'd definately do this every change on every vehicle.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
i changed it the thursday before a track event, ran the track event, and changed it again two weeks later. so there arent a lot of miles on this oil, but it was used for enough time that the sample would have shown something. car is driven dailyi too. i also got the oil temps over 250 and the coolant temps to 260. im betting oil temp was 325-350. half-hour track sessions in 80 degree sun.

I didnt get a TBN this time because the last sample had 6500 miles on it and they said try another thousand. im not interested in going THAT far between oil changes.

the sample kit is free from http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and the analyses are $25 for what you see above, and another $10 for a TBN (total base number) which measures how much life is left in the oil if you want to know how far you can go between changes. It cost something like $1.58 to send the sample usps to indiana. took about seven business days to get the results, and they email and snail mail them.

if i were doing fleet maintenance, i'd definately do this every change on every vehicle.
I think I remember that you have a remote oil filter (at 53, it's a miricle if I can remember what I had for breakfast, so my memory could be confusing you with a Terrier who drives a Cobra) , but did you also put a stopcock on so you can pull a sample without draining the pan?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
the car has never seen anything but a motorcraft fl820s or fl1a. i have a remote oil filter (and am feeling dumb for not doing dual oil filters) and external oil-to-air oil cooler.

i dont have a petcock or anything like that for taking the samples. i just grab some in the free bottle they send you when im changing the oil.

its just under $1.60 to send the sample via usps, and the sample kit is free for the asking.

my schnauzer only drives on the street. i cant find a little doggie helmet for the track.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Good info.

The FL820s and the FL1a are are both $3.44 at Walmart :) The filter and a case of Mobil 1 5-20 is under $40.

I hope they start packaging the 5-20 in the 5 quart jugs soon. That will save another $5.

I still change the oil every 3000 miles, which ends up being about every 6 months. The oil looks like it just came out of the bottle.

Last edited:

texaswrx

Established Member
Thanks for posting. Of course, all of the true oil queers hang out at BITOG!
Seems like I have run across your name there as well. I used Blackstone for the WRX, with a track record like yours. Daily driven, track and auto-x. Sold with zero problems and good compression across the board @ 107k miles..

JP

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
i dont know what a BITOG is. i use this nickname on chicagosvt, svtperformance, modularfords, and gardenweb (phear my mad gardening skillz!@#)

the car got a k&n fipk as soon as i brought it home from the dealer. bought the car new with 11 miles on it and put a shifter and k&n on it the first day. back then there was no 2003 cobra kit, so it was the 2001 cobra kit. eventually i upgraded to the 2003 cobra k&n fipk2, and finally settled on a jlt true cold air in the fenderwell. i ran without the fog light for a summer and the filter was caked with ooky blackness when i changed it out this spring.

i bought the car specifically to use for open track/driving school/time attack events, and have tracked the car extensively since i bought it. i've driven the car on the coldest winter days, and ive done track events when my lap timer said it was 117f in the car.

i love this car.

built ford tough.

Last edited:

texaswrx

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
i dont know what a BITOG is. i use this nickname on chicagosvt, svtperformance, modularfords, and gardenweb (phear my mad gardening skillz!@#)

the car got a k&n fipk as soon as i brought it home from the dealer. bought the car new with 11 miles on it and put a shifter and k&n on it the first day. back then there was no 2003 cobra kit, so it was the 2001 cobra kit. eventually i upgraded to the 2003 cobra k&n fipk2, and finally settled on a jlt true cold air in the fenderwell. i ran without the fog light for a summer and the filter was caked with ooky blackness when i changed it out this spring.

i bought the car specifically to use for open track/driving school/time attack events, and have tracked the car extensively since i bought it. i've driven the car on the coldest winter days, and ive done track events when my lap timer said it was 117f in the car.

i love this car.

built ford tough.
It is Bob is the oil guy. lots of Oil nerds / Tech types, and a wealth of info. Thanks for all of the info you put out on the board.

JP

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i just sent out my oil and water for analysis recently, and this morning got a preliminary e-mail back. but they say they will need more info about the oil and engine manufacturer

but the preliminary e-mail mentioned something about possible high nickel content on the oil.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm curious what you have done to the car to insure that it survives the heat generated from opentracking and running in boost for extended periods? I'm assuming you're still running the Eaton?

Users who are viewing this thread