My 5.0 notch vs. '11 Camaro SS: Brought a knife to a gunfight

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
Figured I would post this for my fellow 5.0 notch enthusiasts. Wish it was an epic kill rather than be killed story, but it's all good....
Just a random encounter driving home yesterday.... met up with a new SS Camaro on the highway and tried to get him to do a few pulls from 65ish to 110 or so. Well, he cooperated nicely, and I got my a$$ handed to me. Truth is that I was expecting for it to be close and maybe he pulls me by a length, but he pulled me rather easily (3+ lengths) until we had to back down due to traffic. I spoke to him briefly after and he said his car was 100% stock (dammit). I gave him the thumbs up and complimented his car and that was that. My '92 Wild strawberry Notch DD is a H/C/I car making 302hp/ 314 ftlbs on a mustang dyno - not "built" by any means, but set up to suprise a few cars (It has also been lightened a bit). I've got to think the SS is in the 380 rwhp range, but at nearly 4000 lbs I figured my power to weight might have helped. I only have 3.08 gears, which definitely hurt me at the speed we started at. Lesson learned: start at 50 mph and begin one gear lower!!!
Anyway, just another data point for me..... I love to go against anything that I think I should not be able to beat, and I always make it a point to be safe and do it all in fun. :beer: That SS definitely had some grunt. It really started to show at the higher speeds. I will have to carefully pick my starting & ending speeds wisely againt these newer 400 hp 4000 lb cars springing up everywhere..... or maybe next time I'll just bring a cannon (read: my whippled Termi) to the gunfight.:coolman: Cheers!
passrearquarter.gif

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
True dat. A guy a know has a played with new Camaro, (H/C/I at the least) and I was gonna toy with him a bit to see how mine could hang, but we were on a road that literally plastered with Cops at any hour of the day.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
nice death. the cars these days are really making some amazing horsepower

you have a nice car tho man. i bet some deeper gears would really wake it up nicely!

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Good death, your notch looks real good! How do your notch and your STI compare?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I love your car. LX notchback = Best looking 5.0 EVER! We owned a blue one before sadly we had to sell it. Soo many memories in it.

Sneaky01Snake

Established Member
nice death, the 3.08's are killing ya. I think 3.55's or 3.73's would have kept it much closer. what H/C/I do you have? i've got a '92 coupe. nice car! thanks for posting.

04nccobra

Established Member
Nice death and nothing that a 347ci stroker in your notch wouldn't take care of :)

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
Good death, your notch looks real good! How do your notch and your STI compare?

Thanks ScreaminRedZ. The two cars behave very differently and consequently the pull feels different between the notch and the STI; more linear with the notch vs. instant hit with the STI. Although I have never lined up the two to test this, My Ass gauge tells me that the STI is quicker all around and especially from the lower speeds.... also much more stable at 100+. Part of what I like about the notch is that it is sooooo raw and unrefined, though :rolling:.

I love your car. LX notchback = Best looking 5.0 EVER! We owned a blue one before sadly we had to sell it. Soo many memories in it.

Thanks Blue Snake01 for the compliment. I've owned two before this and every time I sell one I end up regretting it and needing another. I think I am just forever addicted to that bodystyle.

nice death, the 3.08's are killing ya. I think 3.55's or 3.73's would have kept it much closer. what H/C/I do you have? i've got a '92 coupe. nice car! thanks for posting.

Again, thanks for the kind words. The cam is a mild Comp Cam (1500-5500rmp) set up because I did not want to lose driveability around town, stop & go, etc. The intake is off a '93 Cobra with some lower porting. The Heads are the iron GT40's off a 95 cobra with some porting as well. The intake is a modified JLT 9" ram air setup. Credit goes to my tuner (Bill at Mongillo's) as he did a good job setting it all up.

Being as light as you are with that kind of power I think the gears hurt you. Nice death.
Agreed! I drive 25 miles each way every day on the highway and with $4.30+ gas in my state I am loving the 21 mpg overall...... I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too...

I miss my 93 coupe...and I'd take it all day, every day over a new Bloatmaro.

Bloatmaro? LMAO! Well put....... Nothing like a clean notch:rockon:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
What mods do you have? I have killed a SS, with the right mods that pig would have been dead. The only thing I hate about the coupes is they are so light, traction is a big issue. With my GT's I found that it was easier to make them hook.

Sneaky01Snake

Established Member
Again, thanks for the kind words. The cam is a mild Comp Cam (1500-5500rmp) set up because I did not want to lose driveability around town, stop & go, etc. The intake is off a '93 Cobra with some lower porting. The Heads are the iron GT40's off a 95 cobra with some porting as well. The intake is a modified JLT 9" ram air setup. Credit goes to my tuner (Bill at Mongillo's) as he did a good job setting it all up.

we have a very similar setup, i've currently got gt40's, b-cam, '93 cobra intake. its moves out pretty well, more gear would really change your car, but i understand from a mpg standpoint.:beer:

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Clean notch back man... I just picked up a Wild Strawberry 91' GT a few weeks ago. Some gears would definitely help you out.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
My set up is a 306 ported gt40s comp cam 1.7s ported gt40s TFS track heat tb maf 30lb injectors cai, headers x pipe 3.73s subframes, and mega bites. I havent ran the car since I up'd the fuel system and switched to E85, but I was running 7.90s in the 1/8th with my mickey thompson et streets. I make decent numbers too. The car is currently getting tuned so I dont know what its going to put down with the E85 set up. My car really could benefit with a set of heads. I will be buying a set of AFR, or TF heads this next year.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Agreed! I drive 25 miles each way every day on the highway and with $4.30+ gas in my state I am loving the 21 mpg overall...... I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too...

Same here... year round commute snow and all... gas is at 4.00 right now... but I pull 25 avg per tank. :rockon:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Same here... year round commute snow and all... gas is at 4.00 right now... but I pull 25 avg per tank. :rockon:

because ls1 lol

I dont miss DD my mustang. I enjoy taking it out 1-2 times a week, but I want to drive my truck the other 5 days a week.

chucknorris289

Established Member
I think your notch is one of my old car's. I had it three or four years ago and sold it as a roller to some kid in southern CT. Not to many wild strawberry 92 notch's around...

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
when i started to read the thread i was like "stock camaro my A$$!!"

a good H/C/I pushrod 5.0 will mop the floor with a stock 2010 SS, but then i read what kind of h/c/i he is running and then it made sense....

BlueSnake01

Established Member

I'm jealous of that. Even with the 6 speed and 3.27 gears, I avg about 190 miles on 13 gallons. Mostly street driving but I doubt even with highway ill reach 25 MPG. Moslty highway has gotten me 22 avg, I'm pretty sure 23 can be achieved fully highway and cruise control/babying it sll the way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread