My 5.0 notch vs. '11 Camaro SS: Brought a knife to a gunfight

DarkMach1

Established Member
when i started to read the thread i was like "stock camaro my A$$!!"

a good H/C/I pushrod 5.0 will mop the floor with a stock 2010 SS, but then i read what kind of h/c/i he is running and then it made sense....

That's correct, OP isn't making 302/314 and much less in a mustang dyno. He'd be lucky to put down 270whp or so in a proper dyno, and a lot less in a MD. With a Trickflow top end kit you would've made over 300 and would've likely beat that camaro.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
That's correct, OP isn't making 302/314 and much less in a mustang dyno. He'd be lucky to put down 270whp or so in a proper dyno, and a lot less in a MD. With a Trickflow top end kit you would've made over 300 and would've likely beat that camaro.

Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a car making more on that dyno than it really does.

Last edited:

DarkMach1

Established Member
Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a car making more at that shop than it really does.

Well, OP should be happy, it wouldve sucked if he had a better setup and still lost to a stock 2010 camaro, at least now he knows what he needs to upgrade.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Nice race!

Your gears deff prob hurt you,but power to weight it should of been a good race, I had similar encounterwith my 95 5.0 which is alot heavier then your year fox, It was more of a chase not a race but I was right next to the guy pretty much the whole time and after he let off he had a shocked look on his face looking mycar over wondering how my year gt kept up with him esp since my car looks pretty much stock lol and I have the 96+ 4.6 tail lights on my car lol.

But put some gear in that car and Im sure u can take one out the new camaros seem to run mid to low 13's high 12's stock, a h/c/i fox should easily be in the 12s.

But like others said with your setup 270-290rwhp seems about more right for your dyno numbers.

My new setup hasnt been on the dyno but I have a 306 h/c/i a set of ported trickflow aluminum heads large comp cam, ported track heat intake and my setup seems to make around 320-350rwhp from what I have seen people make. so 300 seems high for your mild setup, on my old stock 5.0 with the trickflow h/c/i my car made 273rwhp untuned and 300rwhp tuned which is better setupthen your current setup so 270-290rwhp sounds more like it not 300+

Last edited:

Fox Fan

Average guy
Established Member
Thanks for the story. It was a nice read. After getting to the heads you're running, it was an expected result.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Those camaro's can move out. I kno first hand when my car was plain stock. Good friend had one with all the "bolt ons". Good run and death bud!

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Prob is the highway pull. The heft of the new camaros doesn't mean as much when all the mass is already moving.

Good death story though. Doesn't take much to get those fox body's running well. As you said, slow the race down a little on the start and it'd probably be much different.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
i can see a 5th gen. having more mid range power.

ill bet from a stop with you being lighter it wouldve been closer.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 on making less than that, especially on a MD. With my 95 GT with bolt on's, cam, GT40X heads, GT40 intake, i made 290rwhp on a dynojet.
Nice race though and good death. They can run but they're not that special. There was a SS on base and i thought it was a V6 at first. Their exhaust note is crap.

Users who are viewing this thread