My 5.0 coyote bolted on vs 03 bolton cobra and 02 ss h/c/i

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Sounds like all these cars under perform. And there's no way a bolt on cobra would beat my h/c/I camaro

Of course not!

ls1god3_zps037b1042.gif

RicerEater2012

Thread Destroyer
Established Member
Sounds like all these cars under perform. And there's no way a bolt on cobra would beat my h/c/I camaro
ya the bolt on 02 ls1 I ran against that ran a 13.2 at 104 over performed. haha. Like I said before mine was stock minus mid pipe. Show me an ls1 camaro, trans am that will trap a 112 plus stock with a terrible DA.

Race weight of my car was just a hair over 3800 with me in it and the air was terrible the day I ran and with just mid pipe my car had a trap of 112. Please elaborate how you think a car that was rated at 412 hp and weighs 3800lbs with just a mid pipe traps 112 under performs.

Basic math show's a car with race weight of 3800lbs and a 112 mph at just under 440 rwhp. Which my car does not have, but these cars perform so well and run so smooth.

Last edited:

BigWill90

Established Member

BayareaSS

Established Member
Of course not!

ls1god3_zps037b1042.gif
maybe mine was. Track times speak for themselves

ya the bolt on 02 ls1 I ran against that ran a 13.2 at 104 over performed. haha. Like I said before mine was stock minus mid pipe. Show me an ls1 camaro, trans am that will trap a 112 plus stock with a terrible DA.

Race weight of my car was just a hair over 3800 with me in it and the air was terrible the day I ran and with just mid pipe my car had a trap of 112. Please elaborate how you think a car that was rated at 412 hp and weighs 3800lbs with just a mid pipe traps 112 under performs.

Basic math show's a car with race weight of 3800lbs and a 112 mph at just under 440 rwhp. Which my car does not have, but these cars perform so well and run so smooth.
there are shitty ls1s out there too but of course you will trapper higher stock. You have a big hp advantage. I know 5.0s run good. I actually have friends that run good times at the track with no mods unlike the cars in this thread lol

RicerEater2012

Thread Destroyer
Established Member
maybe mine was. Track times speak for themselves

there are shitty ls1s out there too but of course you will trapper higher stock. You have a big hp advantage. I know 5.0s run good. I actually have friends that run good times at the track with no mods unlike the cars in this thread lol
I agree, stock wise a 5.0 will trap higher. I have no problem admitting a H/C/I ls1 will beat a stock 5.0 or maybe an exhaust,tune, IM 5.0 (just depends on driver)

I had a 02 ws6 with just bolt ons and damn I loved that car and I will own one again someday. ls motors are just cheaper to build and make good power when built.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I agree, stock wise a 5.0 will trap higher. I have no problem admitting a H/C/I ls1 will beat a stock 5.0 or maybe an exhaust,tune, IM 5.0 (just depends on driver)

I had a 02 ws6 with just bolt ons and damn I loved that car and I will own one again someday. ls motors are just cheaper to build and make good power when built.

My first race in my Coyote was a full H/C/I/E/tune WS6 transmarobird. We ran 2 times from 60-110ish and he got me by about 1-1.5 lengths. I would love to find him again and pay him back for my loss. I know the head/cam como makes a big difference in those cars and I have no clue what his exact set up was.

DEMARCO313

Established Member
I'll just leave this here...
[youtube_browser]1uO6pea6H5Q[/youtube_browser]

Good race. Why wasn't the cobra on 93? No 93 gas around the area? Were you on 91 or 93? He is also a vert which is over 100pounds heavier than the cobra coupe.

I believe either car can beat either car its just depends on how they're setup and how many bolt ons each car has. A bolt on Cobra can vary by a whole lot performance wise depending on how it's setup from cooling mods to upper pulley only to an upper and lower pulley combo to the pulley sizes to conservative or aggressive tune etc. There will always be stories and videos of bolt ons Cobras beating the 5.0 and vice versa.

5.0 vs cobra both bolt ons:

All things being equal coupe vs coupe or vert vs vert, same fuel, both full both ons (cobra upper & lower pulley combo), both with a good tune, both have traction and most importantly equal drivers (except if the 5.0 is an auto), the Cobra should win the majority even if it was by a little.

IMO It's just to many variables and determining factors to just say a bolt on Cobra is faster than a 5.0 or vice versa. Although from what I stated above and all things being equal, I don't see why a Cobra wouldn't win the majority. With that being said the 5.0s are bad cars and are built much better than Terminators which is to be expected since its newer. Only real advantage the Cobra has is that it has forged internals and comes from the factor with a supercharger and its a cobra which makes it much more rare than a 5.0

Last edited:

VictorySong

Established Member
elevation is 1306 above sea level where we ran our cars, whats the elevation on the 5.0s traping close to 120?

Amarillo Texas is at 3,605 ft. No comment on the tuner but, adding headers without retuning it and dropping 2k in elevation probably isn't the best idea for a blower car.

Users who are viewing this thread