My 5.0 coyote bolted on vs 03 bolton cobra and 02 ss h/c/i

Established Member
First off i didnt know about this section and i love it im also a corral member and you get introuble about talking about this on there so +1 for svtp

My new ride i just bought is a 12 gt grabber blue it has mbrp full exhaust from headers to tailpipes, boss intake, accufab tb, jlt cold air intake, its a 6 speed with 3.31 gears

first weekend i had it i raced my buddys 03 cobra sonic blue the car has slp full exhaust from headers back, cold air, pullied it makes about 13psi it was making 16-17 before headers, and dyno tuned

first run we where dead even until i missed 3rd **** it was a 20 roll, second run was a 40 and i had him by a fender, 3rd run slow shifted to 3rd and had me about by half a car end of 4th gear we where dead even

After that i got a retune by jon lund and ran a 02 ss h/c/i
the ls guys claim its just c/i car but it has better than ls1 heads but stock on another ls motor but ported and worked on, the car has a ms4 cam and fast intake, built bottom end ls1 and heads where milled, it has a built trans with a yank 3600 stall with 342 gears
the first run was a 20 roll both cars spun i shifted into 2nd and still spining i was pulling him got him about 2 cars, second run was a 40mph i couldent hear the honk and jump me about a car or more by the end of 4th i was at his fender the 3rd run i honked a 40 roll we both hit it exactly at the same time and i pulled him about 1 to 11/2

so what do you guys think does it sound about right?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Good runs!!! Seems about right from what we have seen here against the Cobra. What did both Mustang's dyno at?

Established Member
the cobra dynoed supposibly according to the previous owner 430 before the headers
and my 5.0 i havent dynoed it yet hopefully get the chance this weekend in KC2K13!

railroad

Established Member
I would love to see you with more gear. I know you are spinning now, but there is a cure for that too. Good races.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
im pretty sure i can put acouple of cars between me and the cobra now with the new tune

Good to hear your liking your Lund tune, I'm getting his dyno tune on Friday hopefully. I really want to run a similarly set up cobra, but your race sure gives a good indicator on how things would go since we have near identical setups.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Nice runs.

FYI, you have to tread lightly, choose your wording carefully, when posting kill stories involving Terminators. Most posts get dissected and analyzed thoroughly, particularly when it involves a 5.0. :lol1:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
First: WTF did I just read?

second: Good kill OP. I have ran 2 bolt on cobra verts, both dynoed at 450+whp. Each run we were dead even from 40-140. Like stated above, be careful on how you word things when racing cobras. The post will likely blow up with pages of BS and banter about how it is or is not possible for a bolt on 5.0 to beat a bolt on cobra. The cobra owners will say the 5.0 guys have a complex, the 5.0 owners say the cobra guys have a complex.

Last edited:

RicerEater2012

Thread Destroyer
Established Member
second: Good kill OP. I have ran 2 bolt on cobra verts, both dynoed at 450+whp. Each run we were dead even from 40-140. Like stated above, be careful on how you word things when racing cobras. The post will likely blow up with pages of BS and banter about how it is or is not possible for a bolt on 5.0 to beat a bolt on cobra. The cobra owners will say the 5.0 guys have a complex, the 5.0 owners say the cobra guys have a complex.
:lol:

Established Member
something happen to the cobra last weekend it started making a top end noise not sure whats wrong with it we are gonna tear into it after coming back from kc2k13, and dont get me wrong guys i love cobras i was actually looking for one before i bought the 5.0 but for some reason i decided to go with a 5.0 reason being i own a 93 fox and really like that car too currrently fully restoring it and planning either boosting a sbf or maybe modular swap, overall there shouldent be no hard feeling to loosing to another ford as long as we keep killing the ls power shit :beer:
and thanks for the advice guys

Greenwood1982

Established Member
Tell me more about this Lund tune? I'm currently running Kooks longtubes, o/r x, 3 " bassani catback, jlt rai, 2.76, and a bama custom tune making 470rwhp......how is this tune compared? I own a 04 cobra.

Established Member
no my buddys cobra was tuned in amarillo tx by boost performance according to previous owner my 5.0 got a retune by jon lund, and yea i know i dont have a video its kinda hard too be shifting while trying to keep the car straight and recording hopefully soon ill be investing in a gopro

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
im a little confused because ive always thought a h/c ls1 (especially if equipped with an ms4 cam) was plenty to walk away from a bolt on 5.0 , guess not.
and a pullied cobra losing to bolt on 5.0? these results dont make sense to me bit oh well, good runs : )

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
something happen to the cobra last weekend it started making a top end noise not sure whats wrong with it we are gonna tear into it after coming back from kc2k13
Makes perfect sense now as to why it was a neck to neck race. The Cobra should've beaten you by at least a bus :lol1:

Keep us updated O.P, hope to see the results after the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread