My 03 Cobra vs. friends new 2013 GT500

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
"Not bad for a 10 year old car with exhaust and pulleys."

*looks in sig*

Too bad you have more than that. Still impressive to run a 650hp factory car with your numbers and come out even, I just dont like when people say they have "Just this and that" when its in fact much more.

Blaine

Established Member

Actually he has about 500 rwhp and a 300 lb weight advantage. So from a roll they would be about even. From a stop.... he would win IF he was a equally skilled driver. 300 extra lbs is bit harder to get traction.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member

*looks in sig*

Too bad you have more than that. Still impressive to run a 662hp factory car with your numbers and come out even, I just dont like when people say they have "Just this and that" when its in fact much more.

Fixed

Bokeo

Established Member
Nice stretch of deserted road ran from 40, 60 and 70- 145. I could get a 3-4' jump at the hit and from there it was dead even every race. Not bad for a 10 year old car with K&N FIPK, FLSFC, MM CC Plates, Eibach's, B.F. IRS Brace, MAC full length headers + Off road H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, Steeda steel 2.80 pulley snub idler, Fluidyne heat exchanger, Steeda Tri Ax, Hilton Boost overlay, MM Differential + Steering rack bushing's, Carbon fiber wiper cowl, Carbon fiber top bumper panel, Carbon Fiber lower exhaust valance, anti-venom tranny mod, altered shifter reach, Promotion clutch and throw out bearing, Lethal Performance bearing sleeve, 17x9 & 17x10 Chrome deep dish 10th anniversary wheels, 275/40 & 315/35 tires, N2MB WOT Box, 6K HID head and fogs, Kenne Bell BAP, 60# injectors, Metco 2# lower pulley, Home Ported eaton.. I thought he'd beat me and he thought I would win, so we were both pleased with the out come. His car is stone stock for the time being.

Fixed.

Jokes aside, nice run! Should have got it on video though.:rolling:

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Mine is a home port with 2.76 upper and I make pretty much the same numbers as OP's plus our ET's and trap are same but those number are on my old tune so I should trap about 1-2 miles more now( old tune I had a Mafia at the time and went to SCT BA2400, new tune has more timing then last tune). However, I am surprised he did come out with the win.

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
your #'s are impressive yes but i still don't see how you stay even with a '13

they are making 80rwhp and 80rwtq more than you are .. i figured it would take a 580ish rwhp twin screw cobra to stay even with a '13

Poppacapp

Established Member
your #'s are impressive yes but i still don't see how you stay even with a '13

they are making 80rwhp and 80rwtq more than you are .. i figured it would take a 580ish rwhp twin screw cobra to stay even with a '13

My 571rwhp 12' GT500 got beat on some roll races by 4.6pimp's Turbo Mach1 with 526rwhp. Weight makes a big difference.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
I'd say you're a better driver than he is. 200lb weight advantage is not overcoming 80whp. Good runs nonetheless.

Jroc

Established Member
that has to be a freak 03. i always thought pullied and ported eatons never really exceeded the 500whp mark

You thought wrong I guess. It's fairly common for full bolton/pulleyed/ported Cobras to make in the 520/530 whp range. Some have broken the 600 whp with a ported M112. I know a guy that did it with a Steggy stage 4, 2.80/4lb lower pulley setup, Accufab SBTB, Kooks LT's and catted X, Dynomax CB, custom ported heads, and custom ground mild cams, running a factory bottomend, and maybe a few other boltons. This is on 93 octane also. What dyno you use is another factor as to how much HP your sheet lists you as making.

I'd say you're a better driver than he is. 200lb weight advantage is not overcoming 80whp. Good runs nonetheless.

Agreed 200 lbs should not overcome the HP difference especially in vehicles this big. Good run OP and great #'s with the home port, but you have to think how new is the car. If the owner is new to the GT500 then he's probably still haven't to learn how to drive it good. Also how new is new? Does the GT500 have 400, 600, 800, 1,200 miles on it? If so then it's still a pretty new car that is still breaking itself in and loosening it's drivetrain up. A new cars drivetrain is pretty tight and it general won't be as strong a runner as it will when it wears itself in.

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member

...if 200lbs was nothing.. then beating Z06's wouldn't be a problem either.:dw: Whats another 200lbs?

Alot actually. Why do people care about losing 10 lbs on a hood? Or 5lbs on a wheel? or 40 lbs on a seat.

.33 drag on 03 Cobra .38 drag on a 13 GT500. There are SOO many other variables that Favor the 03 Cobra.

But driver mod will increase the gap.. by even more. :poke:

In summary.. get use to the 03/04 Cobra's killing the 13 GT500's with little mods. Remember in stock trim the 03 Cobra out performed the stock 07 GT500 in straightline performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwiQCR6BHkM

Last edited:

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
...if 200lbs was nothing.. then beating Z06's wouldn't be a problem either.:dw: Whats another 200lbs?

Alot actually. Why do people care about losing 10 lbs on a hood? Or 5lbs on a wheel? or 40 lbs on a seat.

.33 drag on 03 Cobra .38 drag on a 13 GT500. There are SOO many other variables that Favor the 03 Cobra.

In summary.. get use to the 03/04 Cobra's killing the 13 GT500's with little mods. Remember in stock trim the 03 Cobra out performed the stock 07 GT500 in straightline performance. 2008 Shelby GT500 vs 2003 SVT Cobra. - YouTube
Didn't say it was nothing it's just not enough to overcome 80whp. That's why I think the OP was the better driver especially given the OP's trap.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member

In summary.. get use to the 03/04 Cobra's killing the 13 GT500's with little mods. Remember in stock trim the 03 Cobra out performed the stock 07 GT500 in straightline performance. 2008 Shelby GT500 vs 2003 SVT Cobra. - YouTube

Comparing these two cars to Z06 makes no sense, you are giving up 300-500 lbs in that case. Guy in the cobra clearly has the driver mod or it wouldn't be close. Cobra won't be beating up on any 13 shelbys without a blower swap and pray the shelby doesn't mod too. Terminator is probably my all time fav car but they get yanked pretty easy in the shelby and I've seen and been in many runs, not taking sides just speaking from.experience. Haven't had a chance to run a 13 yet but would expect to get pulled unless I raced the driver in the ops story.

DanfromLI

Established Member
I got a brand new boss 302 and my boy has an03termi with everything except a ported blower 455/450 hp and torque at the wheels. We roll raced yesterday and everytime i gained 2 1/2 cars to about 110 then he would start to pull me in. I have 750 miles and trac key. From a stop i WILL get him much worse i think. He also running street slicks

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
I got a brand new boss 302 and my boy has an03termi with everything except a ported blower 455/450 hp and torque at the wheels. We roll raced yesterday and everytime i gained 2 1/2 cars to about 110 then he would start to pull me in. I have 750 miles and trac key. From a stop i WILL get him much worse i think. He also running street slicks

Your boy needs to learn to drive.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Disagree.. What exactly do you mean by lil mods? O.P has pretty much a maxed out eaton with full bolt on's, thats far from simple mods. The video is also VERY misleading…...
The cobra in that vid was tune\pulley if you listen? Any, just a tick or two behind the GT500 if both are stock.
Nope, Cobra just had a catback I believe and a K&N Filter, also had springs (dont remember which) and was running on pretty much bald tires. In fact the owner said he got a flat tire leaving willow springs and had to put a spare. GT500 always had the edge but in the 1/4 mile, it was a really close race stock for stock.
Your friend is just a horrible driver, a tuned bolt on Boss will run with a chip, pulley bolt on Cobra. Both run similar quarter mile times, it will depend to the better driver and whoever gets the better launch.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Real numbers don't lie.
'13 GT500's are solid low-mid 11-second cars at over 125 mph. From a roll, they are very strong.
With equal drivers it's going to take a pretty well modified '03/'04 Cobra to stay close to one.
S.

Users who are viewing this thread