Mustang Racing

91svtbird

Established Member
Tom,

I plan to be there for the race on Saturday. I'll stop by Sat morning and look you up. Rehagen Racing is it? What car # ?

George...

Last edited:

cobra-boss

Established Member
Rehagen has #52+#59 both of them are orange. I'm sure they will bring a few more but I don't remember the numbers.

Jim

cobra-boss

Established Member
Rehagen has #52+#59 both of them are orange. I'm sure they will bring a few more but I don't remember the numbers.

Jim

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Thanks Jim, just the 52 & 59 this weekend. I think the 57 is going as a back-up "just in case" car but if someone with the money wants to race it I'm sure we'll oblige them :)

George,
See you there, don't stop by too early we don't have any official obligations until 2:35 so we probably won't be getting there too early ;-) Unless something really goes wrong we probably won't show up until 9am or even a little later.:beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
you guys gonna be at the shop this coming week before heading to Ohio?

I'm there today, someone should be around through Tuesday, maybe Wednesday. I'm not sure when everyone is leaving for Mid-O, Larry and I aren't leaving until Wednesday evening, so I would assume everyone else is leaving sometime that day.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Watching the WG Continental Challange today, Brian Till was showing the new line of Continental Tires. He had the new Continental Extreme Contact-Dry Race slick, saying they were premiered at Limerock. Is that a re-stickered Hooser, or is Conti making the tires now?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Watching the WG Continental Challange today, Brian Till was showing the new line of Continental Tires. He had the new Continental Extreme Contact-Dry Race slick, saying they were premiered at Limerock. Is that a re-stickered Hooser, or is Conti making the tires now?

To my limited knowledge, they are the same compound but a new mold. So it's not just a rebadged tire but it is still produced by Hoosier for Continental. In case it wasn't common knowledge, the two companies have formed some sort of partnership.
Interstitial Ad - Modern Tire Dealer

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
To my limited knowledge, they are the same compound but a new mold. So it's not just a rebadged tire but it is still produced by Hoosier for Continental. In case it wasn't common knowledge, the two companies have formed some sort of partnership.
Interstitial Ad - Modern Tire Dealer

That is an interesting development to say the least. My previous experience with OE grade US Continentals has NOT BEEN GOOD.

Used on Lincoln LS and Navigators for several model years, they were a real let down from the Michelins many Lincoln owners had become accustomed to.

An alliance of any nature with Hoosier would GREATLY enhance their credibility in my eyes.

On a slightly different note, do you know if anyone is still using 275/40R17s in competition?
Perhaps Porsche fronts?
I may be onto a 14" brake that allows me to retain my R58 17" Cobra Rs.:p

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
That is an interesting development to say the least. My previous experience with OE grade US Continentals has NOT BEEN GOOD.

Used on Lincoln LS and Navigators for several model years, they were a real let down from the Michelins many Lincoln owners had become accustomed to.

An alliance of any nature with Hoosier would GREATLY enhance their credibility in my eyes.

On a slightly different note, do you know if anyone is still using 275/40R17s in competition?
Perhaps Porsche fronts?
I may be onto a 14" brake that allows me to retain my R58 17" Cobra Rs.:p

They definitely are spending a lot of money to improve their name. Hopefully it goes along with money they are spending on making a quality product. We shall see I suppose.

Yes, we still get some of the 275/40R17's every now and again. I believe you are correct that they come off the Porsches. Depending on how many you want and how often you want them we can probably get them for you, but it's sometimes hit or miss.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Question about the Boss 302R this year. They've been in the Top 5 only once so far this year...and the earlier Mustang GT's are doing better overall. Is this a first season sorting out issue for the Boss cars...or is something else going on? Is every Mustang running the new Coyote motor or are the older Mustang GT's running the Cammer? Is it a motor issue, something else... or... just racing?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Question about the Boss 302R this year. They've been in the Top 5 only once so far this year...and the earlier Mustang GT's are doing better overall. Is this a first season sorting out issue for the Boss cars...or is something else going on? Is every Mustang running the new Coyote motor or are the older Mustang GT's running the Cammer? Is it a motor issue, something else... or... just racing?

It has been a combination of things, many of which are related to the sorting of the new car and engine. The older cars are still running the Cammer, and the newer cars run the newer engine.

I don't know first hand but from what I've heard nothing from the old car transfers over to the new car. Suspension geometry is supposedly the same but the difference in engine weight along with different aerodynamics seem to have a pretty large affect on how the car handles. The new engine has had some minor setbacks but nothing catastrofic to my knowledge.

There have also been some strategy gambles that haven't played out for them as well. Barber is the main one that remains in my mind. The Multimatic car should have won instead of us if it wouldn't have been for a different call on pit strategy.

IMO, the new car has the potential to be the faster car but the planets just haven't aligned to get everything together and show them the top spot on the podium yet. They will get there sooner or later, no doubt about it!

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
It has been a combination of things, many of which are related to the sorting of the new car and engine. The older cars are still running the Cammer, and the newer cars run the newer engine.

I don't know first hand but from what I've heard nothing from the old car transfers over to the new car. Suspension geometry is supposedly the same but the difference in engine weight along with different aerodynamics seem to have a pretty large affect on how the car handles. The new engine has had some minor setbacks but nothing catastrofic to my knowledge.

There have also been some strategy gambles that haven't played out for them as well. Barber is the main one that remains in my mind. The Multimatic car should have won instead of us if it wouldn't have been for a different call on pit strategy.

IMO, the new car has the potential to be the faster car but the planets just haven't aligned to get everything together and show them the top spot on the podium yet. They will get there sooner or later, no doubt about it!

Thanks for the follow-up. I was wondering how the Coyote was running vs. the Cammer. I'm guessing the old body style gives a bit more rear downforce at the expense of drag? An amateur guess...that's all. Gearings different in the BOSS R too, no? Good to see 'Stang's and "Maro's mixing it up. Like to see the BOSS live up to its tradition soon.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Thanks for the follow-up. I was wondering how the Coyote was running vs. the Cammer. I'm guessing the old body style gives a bit more rear downforce at the expense of drag? An amateur guess...that's all. Gearings different in the BOSS R too, no? Good to see 'Stang's and "Maro's mixing it up. Like to see the BOSS live up to its tradition soon.

Well maybe Darin will chime in, he probably has better info than me... but I will do the best that I can.

From what I understand, the aero difference is reduced lift in the front with the new car and a reduction in drag. Also I am assuming there is less rear downforce since the old cars run the Steeda wing and the new cars aren't.

I am pretty sure the two cars run the same rear gear, I am not sure about the transmission ratios though.

The new engine seems to hold it's own (actually it seems better but it's sometimes hard to tell) I'm sure the BOSS R will be back ahead of those Camaros once they get everything working well together. Remember the Camaros debuted at VIR last year, so they have had a bit more time to develop them.

:beer:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Well maybe Darin will chime in, he probably has better info than me... but I will do the best that I can.

From what I understand, the aero difference is reduced lift in the front with the new car and a reduction in drag. Also I am assuming there is less rear downforce since the old cars run the Steeda wing and the new cars aren't.

I am pretty sure the two cars run the same rear gear, I am not sure about the transmission ratios though.

The new engine seems to hold it's own (actually it seems better but it's sometimes hard to tell) I'm sure the BOSS R will be back ahead of those Camaros once they get everything working well together. Remember the Camaros debuted at VIR last year, so they have had a bit more time to develop them.

:beer:

I thought that was a Steeda wing hanging off the back. Heard it was pretty effective from some...not so much from others.

Camaros don't seem to have the straight-line grunt the Mustangs have. Figure that's a weight issue. Is there anything they can do better than the 'Stangs??

Will keep watching. Thanks.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I thought that was a Steeda wing hanging off the back. Heard it was pretty effective from some...not so much from others.

Camaros don't seem to have the straight-line grunt the Mustangs have. Figure that's a weight issue. Is there anything they can do better than the 'Stangs??

Will keep watching. Thanks.

The Steeda wing works for what it is, a small factory-ish looking wing. If you want real down force you need a real wing though. We aren't allowed to run anything like that in the series.

Just the opposite of what you are seeing. The Camaros have more grunt and pull us down the straights then we reel them in through the corner. It makes it very hard to pass them because they have the low end from that big 6.2L to holeshot us when we try to get a run on them.

Right now according to series rules the Camaros are 100# lighter than the Mustangs. Glad to hear you will keep watching:thumbsup::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread