Mustang Racing

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
The Steeda wing works for what it is, a small factory-ish looking wing. If you want real down force you need a real wing though. We aren't allowed to run anything like that in the series.

Just the opposite of what you are seeing. The Camaros have more grunt and pull us down the straights then we reel them in through the corner. It makes it very hard to pass them because they have the low end from that big 6.2L to holeshot us when we try to get a run on them.

Right now according to series rules the Camaros are 100# lighter than the Mustangs. Glad to hear you will keep watching:thumbsup::beer:

Yeah, I guess "grunt" wasn't the best choice of words on my part. It was remarkable though how Roush just left the SMS Camaro as if it was standing still...once he got around it. I guess we can chaulk that up to... Mustang Momentum. :rockon:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???

You're not the only person thinking that;-)

It does run a restrictor so it probably doesn't make much if any more power than our engines that must run a restrictor as well. However, the reason they are allowed to be so much lighter is because they handle so terribly at this point. We'll see what happens when they figure out how to make them corner better.:(

sprint200

Established Member
You're not the only person thinking that;-)

It does run a restrictor so it probably doesn't make much if any more power than our engines that must run a restrictor as well. However, the reason they are allowed to be so much lighter is because they handle so terribly at this point. We'll see what happens when they figure out how to make them corner better.:(

...............which would still do nothing to bring the bimmers back to the field.......:fm:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
...............which would still do nothing to bring the bimmers back to the field.......:fm:

Yeah, not gonna happen, they released the rule changes for Rolex yesterday and still nothing for Continental so I assume they aren't going to make any before the New Jersey race.:rolleyes:

03'Darin

Established Member
I haven't been able to check in on this thread for a while so I'm doing some catch up.

I can inject a few things that haven't been posted yet about the new 5.0 motor and car over the old combo.

-Tom was right with the aero stuff.... less lift in the front but less down force in the rear. We only have the small production wing approved and it's not good for much at all.

- The new car has different front suspension geometry (production car parts) vs the old cars Ford Racing setup designed to all but eliminate bump steer. The new car front suspension workd ok with a small amount of suspension travel but with the travel our cars use the geometry doesn't work.

- The 3rd link on the new car has a different angle and they have gone to a bearing instead of a bushing.

With the combination of different areo and different suspension geometry the new car want totally different spring, damper setting and sway bar combos than the old car. Each track is a struggle to try and figure out what works.

Now to the motor:

- The drivers are determined that even though on paper the motors have similar tourque curves the new 5.0 doesn't have near the low end tourque of the old motor

- There is a cooling problem with this motor. We've changed radiators, oil coolers, oil cooler locations, cooling fans and the car still rand 252 at Mid Ohio

- The motor has some wiring harness gremlins. Apparently some of the connectors have the wires and/or pins coming out

As far as the Camaro.......... it's currently 100#'s lighter than us, runs a bigger motor, has bigger brakes and even a bigger fuel cell. How much handicap does a car deserve to try and make it competitive??

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I haven't been able to check in on this thread for a while so I'm doing some catch up.

I can inject a few things that haven't been posted yet about the new 5.0 motor and car over the old combo.

-Tom was right with the aero stuff.... less lift in the front but less down force in the rear. We only have the small production wing approved and it's not good for much at all.

- The new car has different front suspension geometry (production car parts) vs the old cars Ford Racing setup designed to all but eliminate bump steer. The new car front suspension workd ok with a small amount of suspension travel but with the travel our cars use the geometry doesn't work.

- The 3rd link on the new car has a different angle and they have gone to a bearing instead of a bushing.

With the combination of different areo and different suspension geometry the new car want totally different spring, damper setting and sway bar combos than the old car. Each track is a struggle to try and figure out what works.

Now to the motor:

- The drivers are determined that even though on paper the motors have similar tourque curves the new 5.0 doesn't have near the low end tourque of the old motor

- There is a cooling problem with this motor. We've changed radiators, oil coolers, oil cooler locations, cooling fans and the car still rand 252 at Mid Ohio

- The motor has some wiring harness gremlins. Apparently some of the connectors have the wires and/or pins coming out

As far as the Camaro.......... it's currently 100#'s lighter than us, runs a bigger motor, has bigger brakes and even a bigger fuel cell. How much handicap does a car deserve to try and make it competitive??

Thx for the info

As for the Camaro, the Rolex GT class Camaro seems to be running pretty good, so I'm not sure what the Conti Camaro's issues are. You would figure they would share some of their knowledge.

03'Darin

Established Member
Thx for the info

As for the Camaro, the Rolex GT class Camaro seems to be running pretty good, so I'm not sure what the Conti Camaro's issues are. You would figure they would share some of their knowledge.

Well as far as the Matt Bell driven Camaro part of their problem is the driver. Can't seem to not be running into everyone else on the track.

The one thing I can say is the car struggles bad getting around the corner but because it has so much motor and weighs 100#'s less it just pulls away on the straight.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Also, to my knowledge the Rolex GT Camaro is a recovered Pontiac GTO tube frame car which shares absolutely nothing with the Continental class Camaro.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
03'Darin...thanks for the information. I was wondering if something was up with the new car. Thing's take to time to work out. How much of what's given to you from the factory can you change in the suspension???

03'Darin

Established Member
03'Darin...thanks for the information. I was wondering if something was up with the new car. Thing's take to time to work out. How much of what's given to you from the factory can you change in the suspension???

Your welcome.

Nothing actually. The earlier car has a different front geometry package approved from the factory setup. I think it consists of the balljoint, spindle and tie rod end. This setup is designed to drastically reduce the bump steer affect. For some crazy reason when they were developing the new car it was decided that the 2010 factory setup (which is slightly different than the 09' and later factory setup) was fine. There was actually an alternate setup in the design work for the new car and when word came down that the production stuff was fine they didn't finish the design. Well, they need to....

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Race at New Jersey Motorsports Park is this Saturday at 245pm. Will be televised next weekend as usual. If you can make it stop on out and watch some great racing!

Stinger1982

Established Member
Race at New Jersey Motorsports Park is this Saturday at 245pm. Will be televised next weekend as usual. If you can make it stop on out and watch some great racing!

send my best to all. I couldnt make this one :(

havent seen you around the shop at all, I ve been over a lot in the past two weeks

03'Darin

Established Member
JBS won't be at this race but I'll be there working the pit stop for Capaldi Racing.

For anyone that's interested in seeing an FR500CJ car I'm picking my buddys up down there at the track and hauling it back to Pa. for him. A little change of pace from a car that actually turns.... well somewhat turns. lol

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
send my best to all. I couldnt make this one :(

havent seen you around the shop at all, I ve been over a lot in the past two weeks

I'm a weekend warrior and since my CNC is down for the time being, I figured I take a little time off to have some fun. I might be around this weekend if I don't end up going down to Mid-O.

JBS won't be at this race but I'll be there working the pit stop for Capaldi Racing.

For anyone that's interested in seeing an FR500CJ car I'm picking my buddys up down there at the track and hauling it back to Pa. for him. A little change of pace from a car that actually turns.... well somewhat turns. lol

Good seeing you there Darin, even if it wasn't with JBS. Sucks they have had such trouble this year that they decided to not come. The Cobra Jet was pretty bad ass though, hopefully you made it home safe with it!

Stinger1982

Established Member
I will be at Mid-Ohio this weekend running my 5.0 come find me in the paddock

I just got back from a 4-10pm shift (after the day job) at the shop working on deans new AI car......exhausted

Stinger1982

Established Member
the only pictures I have from this weekends Mid-Ohio so far (waiting on the pro shots)

mido1.JPG

mido2.JPG

mido3.JPG

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Your welcome.

Nothing actually. The earlier car has a different front geometry package approved from the factory setup. I think it consists of the balljoint, spindle and tie rod end. This setup is designed to drastically reduce the bump steer affect. For some crazy reason when they were developing the new car it was decided that the 2010 factory setup (which is slightly different than the 09' and later factory setup) was fine. There was actually an alternate setup in the design work for the new car and when word came down that the production stuff was fine they didn't finish the design. Well, they need to....

Hey Darin,
You talk about the new setup is not where it needs to be but what needs to happen to get that changed? Is it something Ford has to change on the production cars or can you guys change things and get it approved by Grand Am?

If it has to be a production based change, could the work that Multimatic is doing on the new upcoming street Boss be what you guys are needing? I could see Multimatic making the necessary changes, apply them to the new Boss and then Grand Am approving the changes because it is on a production car. Don't really know if this is how things work though. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread