Mustang broke down called insurance for roadside assistance

Stanger00

Established Member
When the tow truck arrived they driver denied towing my mustang. He said that my 'custom' A-arms would break if he winched it onto the flat bed. I have UPR K-member with tubular A-arms and the whole time this guy was explaining why he couldnt do it I was just thinking that these 'tiny' A-arms support my whole car while driving without any issue. He said he needed to grab something from his truck and once he got inside the cab he took off :shrug:

Another tow truck was dispatched and that driver said the same thing but he said if I signed a waiver he would tow my car. I told him to **** off...Whos to say that he would treat my shit right after I signed the damage waiver.

A third truck showed up and I had to drive my car up the ramp so he could secure a 'soft' 10,000lb strap around the front wheel and then lock up all the other 4 wheels with straps. I also had to pay 'overage' fees due to my 'custom' suspension.

Anyone else have the pleasure to experience something like this?

My car shredded a belt and I didnt have all of the proper tools to install a new belt. I was 18 miles from home so limping it was not an option.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I really cant say I blame them for not wanting to mess with custom suspension stuff, if they damaged it you would damned sure be after them to pay for it...not saying theyre correct but I can see where theyre coming from

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
That's rediculous. You can grab the car other ways than being lazy. Auto club hack drivers. They only get a set fee that's why they made excuses to make more $ and waste your time.

GunsUpCoyote

Global Wahhh? 12 mpg
Established Member
Why didn't you tell them to bring a flatbed? Problem solved. I always request one and tell them I don't care how long the wait is.

Stanger00

Established Member
They were all Flat bed tow trucks.

The a-arms wouldnt of gotten damaged, IMO. They probably would have gotten scuffed from the J-hooks.

The subframe holes were covered by my subframe connectors so they couldnt winch it up by those either. I offered to drive my car up the ramp since it still ran. They still refused because they couldnt 'garuantee' they could secure it to the ramp because of the custom suspension components. This is like saying that my car is going to fall to pieces if they strap it down by the wheels.

I found this whole situation comical...My insurance company (USAA) suggested I leave my car until I had the required tools to fix it!

VictorySong

Established Member

The a-arms wouldnt of gotten damaged, IMO. They probably would have gotten scuffed from the J-hooks.

The subframe holes were covered by my subframe connectors so they couldnt winch it up by those either. I offered to drive my car up the ramp since it still ran. They still refused because they couldnt 'garuantee' they could secure it to the ramp because of the custom suspension components. This is like saying that my car is going to fall to pieces if they strap it down by the wheels.

I found this whole situation comical...My insurance company (USAA) suggested I leave my car until I had the required tools to fix it!

I stand corrected. That was definitely BS so I can see why you are pissed. Did point out the custom modifications or did they notice them on their own? (OP wasn't clear)

Stanger00

Established Member
I never mentioned it to the insurance company. By the time I had my insurance send me a 3rd tow truck they informed the tow truck agencies about my vehicles modifications and this is where I had to pay 'overages'.

The tow truck drivers looked under the car as they were going to hook up the chains and said they cant tow it because of the tubular A-arms. In the tow truck drivers words "I cant winch it because of the custom suspension."

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
sucks. but kind of funny at the same time the way the first driver said he needed to get something and then just took off---lol

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
That really is a load of crap, at that point I would have said **** it, I'll drive it up on my own.

I know those tow truck drivers like throwing the chain around the first round thing they see and yanking it up. My brother had to have his 94 explorer flat bed towed and the guy winched it up by the swaybar. Bent the mount to hell.

Stanger00

Established Member
you dont have to do it from the front do you...they couldnt pull it up from the rear?

Apperently that is worse for the car :shrug:

This is what I was told as I was brainstorming ideas...Guess they thought I had an IRS or some shit.

I told one guy that I drive this car on hopes and dreams because of how frail my suspension components are, God forbid I hit a pebble :bash:

Stanger00

Established Member
All my friends are poor and ride those fixed gear bicycles and my other friends who own trucks work 60-70 hours a week and are drunk the hours they're out of work. I need new friends...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I laughed at this, as well. They seriously wanted you to leave your car there, find your own ride home (18 miles away), get the tools, and get a ride back to your car to fix it? Wow! I think it's time to find another insurance company.

Users who are viewing this thread