Muon experiment may hint at undiscovered aspect of physics

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The Muon is an elementary particle. Like the electron, it possesses one unit of negative charge. But it is 200 times more massive than an electron. We don't find them anywhere except in our particle colliders, they just don't seem to "happen" in nature. (only three of the 13 known particles show up in every day nature: electrons, up quarks and down quarks. That's it. Those three particles make up everything, including us.) Even though Muons don't show up in nature, we know how to make them. And we do, and use them in experiments.

Since the Muon has a negative charge, it responds to electromagnetic fields it encounters. In one experiment, Muons were shot through a magnetic field, to see if they "wobbled" as theory predicted they should. (Yes, we can detect and measure that wobble!)

99% of them behaved exactly as the theory predicted. But 1% of them wobbled more than they should have.

This is a big deal in quantum mechanics, because in the QM world, particles have to behave in certain ways, with nothing in between. If you add more energy to an electron, it has to be a certain minimum amount before the electron shows any difference. And once you stop adding energy to it, it has to spit it out and fall back to it's minimum energy level. So it spits it out as a photon, and that photon is always the exact same value of energy. This sort of thing has been tested a lot in the near century of QM has been around. It is, among other things, one of the principles that allows us to make lasers, among many, many, other things.

This makes the Muon excess wobble twice as unusual: that most of them behave as predicted, but some of them don't. Why? What's going on? What does it mean? Remember there was no use for Special and General Relativity when Einstein thought them up, and no way to "prove" them. Now we use them to go to space, and operate our GPS satellites, among a million other things.

And at this point it may all still be a mistake in the experiment, how the results are interpreted, or the theory. They're digging away like mad on it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I feel like I listened in on a Big Bang Theory conversation between Sheldon and Leonard.

Interesting post, James, even though I don’t understand much about physics.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
What do you mean they don't happen in nature? They're everywhere. It's a basic particle physics under grad experiment to measure the decay time. Major by product of cosmic rays. It's usually the first lab to show how to use coincidence circuits measuring decay using parallel scintillators and photomultpliers.

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
" 99% of them behaved exactly as the theory predicted. But 1% of them wobbled more than they should have. "
This may explain how Biden got elected...

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
What do you mean they don't happen in nature? They're everywhere. It's a basic particle physics under grad experiment to measure the decay time. Major by product of cosmic rays. It's usually the first lab to show how to use coincidence circuits measuring decay using parallel scintillators and photomultpliers.
You're right. I should have said, "We don't find Muons actually making anything. A hydrogen atom has yet to be found with a Muon orbiting it, in place of an electron. We never find Muons in atoms, taking an electron's spot."

Better?

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Uh huh. Tell us about those granite counter tops James.
Well, there's these counters, see? And they've got to have tops, or else they aren't really effective counters. They'd be more of a bin, sort of thing like that. So the counters have to have tops, and the tops have to be made of something. And in the subset of all counter tops, some of them (but by no means all of them!) are cut from granite. And ... well ... that's about it for granite countertops.

Next week: Why your vacuum cleaner is a lie! Why there is no such thing as a vacuum, and yet, vacuum is everywhere, even in rooms filled with air (or any other medium).

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m pretty sure my vacuum has a vacuum. Definitely no gravity or time in that disgusting container.

cobracide

Established Member
Well a vacuum is space without matter and an appliance called a vacuum just moves air (atmospheric matter) from over the top of the rug (causing suction) to the bag (with the dirt of course). So yeah, a misnomer.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
You're right. I should have said, "We don't find Muons actually making anything. A hydrogen atom has yet to be found with a Muon orbiting it, in place of an electron. We never find Muons in atoms, taking an electron's spot."

Better?

Wasn't an attack. But yeah they are inherently unstable and the decay time is so small you just end up with the decay particles as I'm sure you know. Take a lot of coaxing to get a muonic particle. The mass alone is kind of a deal breaker in day to day life.

Curious to see where it leads, definitely an unexpected interaction.

I've always kind of glazed over when it comes to spin, spin momentum, coupling, etc. Quantum mechanics wasn't my favorite class. At least QFT had pictures...

Last edited:

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Wasn't an attack. But yeah they are inherently unstable and the decay time is so small you just end up with the decay particles as I'm sure you know. Take a lot of coaxing to get a muonic particle. The mass alone is kind of a deal breaker in day to day life.

Curious to see where it leads, definitely an unexpected interaction.

I've always kind of glazed over when it comes to spin, spin momentum, coupling, etc. Quantum mechanics wasn't my favorite class. At least QFT had pictures...
I didn't take it as an attack. I appreciate you pointing out the inaccuracy of what I said.

After all, if science teaches us nothing, it is that we should accept both our successes and our failures with dignity and quiet grace.

Then I went and got drunk.

Users who are viewing this thread