Mullet driver hit a Coast Guard boat and sunk

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Crazy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLvSaCbai74"]YouTube - Coast Guard Hits And Sinks Boat[/ame]

Notice the mullet? :lol:

mysticalsnake

Established Member
Coast guard was in the wrong on this one.

how so? the man was traveling at a high rate of speed, the coast guard was trying to make communications with said driver as he was going into to an area which had become restricted. at best, the speed boat will not get anything but a ****ed up boat.

Disintegr8or

Established Member
You guys are wrong. Rule of the water is that the smaller vessel yields to the larger vessel.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Smaller vessel should have slowed down. But its the coast guards job to protect people on the water. They should have slowed down.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It's common sense. The smaller boater should have been aware of all the boats around him and certainly should have yielded to the Coast Guard boat. He was simply at fault for not paying attention.

homer302

Banned
Not a boater at all but it was always my understanding that the vessel on the right has the right of way and that large or small has nothing to do with it. What if two identical sized boats were heading towards a collision? How would you know who was supposed to yield? You might be right but that sounds pretty dumb to me.

I think the light on the front of all boats has like a green light on one side and a red light on the other side to even help distinguish who has right of way. If thats so, the small boat was looking at the Coast Guards green light and the Guard was looking at this red light. I don't really see where there's any debate who was at fault but like I said, I don't know the rules of the water.

Last edited:

blown up 98

Established Member
i have been around water my whole life smaller vessels should always yeild to larger, unless its like a sailboat and is unpowered

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
It's common sense. The smaller boater should have been aware of all the boats around him and certainly should have yielded to the Coast Guard boat. He was simply at fault for not paying attention.

Not a boater at all but it was always my understanding that the vessel on the right has the right of way and that large or small has nothing to do with it. What if two identical sized boats were heading towards a collision? How would you know who was supposed to yield? You might be right but that sounds pretty dumb to me.

I think the light on the front of all boats has like a green light on one side and a red light on the other side to even help distinguish who has right of way. If thats so, the small boat was looking at the Coast Guards green light and the Guard was looking at this red light. I don't really see where there's any debate who was at fault but like I said, I don't know the rules of the water.

i have been around water my whole life smaller vessels should always yeild to larger, unless its like a sailboat and is unpowered

But the coast guard should have slowed down! If it was two regular boats in would be case closed but it wasn't.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
You guys are wrong. Rule of the water is that the smaller vessel yields to the larger vessel.

wrong. there is no such rule.

It was a Coast Guard civilian auxiliary boat with a civilian volunteer crew. (think Civil air patrol.) He had no authority to make the stop. That is why it is his fault. Auxiliary have no enforcement authority whatsoever. That is what us active and reserve folks are there to do. But regardless. The other operator will be cited for not having a proper lookout. That is in fact a rule, and not some drummed up wives tale or rule of thumb.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member

The running lights of a vessel are there to help you determine viewing aspect so you can properly identify which rules apply. smaller larger has nothing to do with any of it. It is good common sense but not law.

This is just a clear case of an over zealous civilian volunteer who felt putting more lives at risk was a good idea to protect 1 missing boater. FAIL

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
the natural thing to do would be to yeild to a military vessel, no?

There wasn't one. It was a civilian Auxiliary vessel. It has a banner that says CG auxiliary with a yellow light. The other captain failed to have a proper lookout. SO both are idiots.

2003 Silver

Banned
I'm more concerned about the morons in the Coast Guard vessel than the moron in the small boat.:nonono:

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
I'm more concerned about the morons in the Coast Guard vessel than the moron in the small boat.:nonono:

it was a civilian auxiliary boat!!! argh. dont give us a black eye because of these idiots. Thats like saying "Airforce idiots" when the civil air patrol plane forgets to put down its landing gear.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Funny story, 2 weeks ago i was interviewed by a producer about the accident we had at our station and i started talking with the guy and this story came up.....he was the guy who shot that camera tape! Steve Betcher!

Super nice guy, and he told me that they don't show it on the video tape but the coast Guard boat had a hole in it as well and started to sinK! All of the members on the boat had to be air lifted by the Heli !!!!

Everyone on the boat testified against the Coast Guard Captin and the Mullet headed guy was awarded a new boat!

and that took place in 1992!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread