MTBSully's 04 TR Cobra On3 FF Turbo Build

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
damn bro get some!!!!!!!

you don't know how upset I am over not being able to make mustang week. I am so pissed off that I can't attend.......I hope you guys all have fun.

MTBSully

Established Member
Still waiting on parts. My injectors should be here today, Turbo should be built and shipped friday. My fuel lines, fittings, pumps, regulator, fuel filter and E85 gas cap etc are all here and waiting to be installed. Will get started on that this week so that when the turbo shows up, I can hopefully bolt it on and go.

Also ordered some dynomax race bullets to weld in place of the stingers. Never really cared for the muffled tone they provided with the turbo.

Last edited:

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Damn, you were not kidding that we have an extremely similar build! Haha. Great looking car! Could you post a shot of your clearance when car is on the ground with the passenger tie rod in my build thread for reference please. Does your boot rub on the pipe? Any issues? Thanks man!!!

MTBSully

Established Member
Damn, you were not kidding that we have an extremely similar build! Haha. Great looking car! Could you post a shot of your clearance when car is on the ground with the passenger tie rod in my build thread for reference please. Does your boot rub on the pipe? Any issues? Thanks man!!!

Hey man, if you look through the build thread I did a number of things to tackle that issue. Youll notice when I first finished the build the front of the car was very high because that was the only way I could keep the power steering boot from melting.

1. Installed energy suspension motor mounts
2. Placed 4-5 grade 8 washers over the motor mount to "tilt" the motor away from the pipe a bit
3. Installed offset rack bushings, and added bumpsteer spacers as you did

Now the boot clears just fine and the front of the car is slammed. If anything, my A-arm comes closer to the pipe than the boot does. I'll try to get a pic next time I have it on the ground.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Cool, thanks man! I may try to tackle it tonight and drop the k member slightly enough to put some spacers on the bolt. I just talked with maximum motorsports and they did say that adjusting the bumpsteer with shims the way we did is not wise as it may totally alter the bumpsteer and throw it way off. Did yours drive okay afterwards? notice and shifty movement when going over bumps? These guys at MM know their stuff and most of the time when I'm on the phone with them, they are talking about stuff that goes completely over my head, lol.

MTBSully

Established Member
Made a little progress this weekend. Not much since It was the first nice weekend of the year and it was a really long winter, but some none the less. More to come after work this week. Everything is here, just waiting on my turbo.

Fixed my gauge backlight which have been intermittent for the last year or so using the speedhut inverter. Found that the previous owner had already been in there and done this once with a similar product and crimp connections. I went in with a new inverter and soldered and shrinked all connections. Gauges are working great!

IMAG2177_zpshbxzleym.jpg
IMAG2182_zpszmo3eivn.jpg

Planning my fuel system with the help of a Twisted Tea
IMAG2041_zpsweo5xxvz.jpg

Fore F4i Regulator and SS fuel filter element
IMAG2101_zpsnuh7mflv.jpg

Squirters. Deatschwerk 1200cc. Note the flow sheet for each injector. Just ordered my USCAR to jetronic adapters from AM to get them to work with the stock 04 cobra USCAR plugs
IMAG2178_zpssedrlj4x.jpg
IMAG2181_zpsfk1lhzpq.jpg

Parts pile! All stainless PTFE hose (-8 feed and return), fittings, on3 coolant crossover, Canton tank, Dynomax race mufflers, aeromotive rails, 465 pumps, etc)
IMAG2186_zpsrb1abq7j.jpg

Didn't want to drop the tank with 3/4 full of fuel, so i got some hose, hooked it to my stock line, and turned the key on till the tank was empty. The daily driver saturn got some fresh 93 lol.
IMAG2035_zpskrerrjgn.jpg

Dropped the tank
IMAG2039_zpskipxwhq7.jpg
IMAG2038_zps64flepxp.jpg

Found out i need adapters for the injectors haha
IMAG2201_zpsqxu4hymt.jpg
IMAG2202_zpsat8muche.jpg

Replaced the -10 and -6 fittings on the hat with -8 on both
IMAG2197_zpsbysivpza.jpg

Got the pumps in the hat and all wired up. Decided to hard wire with solder/shrink wrap as opposed to using the bulky connectors that were supplied. Way easier seating the pumps when you lube them with some Dawn or similar.
IMAG2191_zpsrpmunbbm.jpg
IMAG2196_zpsaplkg7le.jpg
IMAG2196_zpsaplkg7le.jpg

I was not aware that you are supposed to put the fuel level sending arm on after the pumps are most of the way in the tank, so I broke a little piece of plastic off of the snap in feature that holds the arm. Going to glue it with JB weld 2 part epoxy and see what happens, should hold up fine as only a small part chipped off.

Thats pretty much where I am at. Hoping to run my fuel lines, install injectors and fuel rails, and check the fuel system for leaks this week. Hoping that when my turbo shows up hopefully later this week, I should be able to bolt it on and fire her up!

MTBSully

Established Member
Time for an update. After 5 weeks my turbo finally showed up on Friday. Was waiting for that before I ran any of my cooling lines, but I did manage to get a bunch of other stuff done while I was waiting the past few weeks.

Got the hat back in the tank
IMAG2227_zpsb4iucvbm.jpg

Ported my stock throttle body. Came out pretty good I think, and killed a few hours on a wednesday night.

IMAG2225_zpsyxttbq0h.jpg

IMAG2264_zpsr5ihuzfu.jpg

IMAG2268_zps1gtsbls8.jpg

Before/After
PhotoGrid_1429750181676_zpslaykocne.jpg

Realized my DW injectors have a jetronic connector, so I had to buy some adapters from AM. Jetronic to USCAR. Plug and play.
IMAG2222_zpspmbngjm2.jpg

IMAG2202_zpsat8muche.jpg

IMAG2201_zpsqxu4hymt.jpg

Had to grind this tab on the head down for the injector to fit. Boy was it nerve racking getting my angle grinder so close to my precious valve covers
IMAG2193_zpsevp4filh.jpg

Injectors installed on the rail
IMAG2224_zpst5sa4ty8.jpg

IMAG2232_zps2bldu4ye.jpg

Drilled and tapped the plug at the rail to utilize the mechnical fuel pressure gauge that used to be on my divisionX regulator. Still need to find a spot for the sender for my electric gauge
IMAG2231_zpsxcbstq3o.jpg

Tab ground down
IMAG2233_zpswte6e9lm.jpg

Rails in
IMAG2234_zpsugbenft3.jpg

Intake hat back on a torqued down
IMAG2261_zpssx9nwl95.jpg

Swapped out the Borla Stinger mufflers for some Dynomax race bullets. Hated how the stingers sounded with the turbo. We will see how these do, If i don't like it im straight piping it haha
Screenshot_2015-04-22-22-55-44_zpstlwntsix.png

Gave them a quick coat of mothers polish for the upcoming season!
IMAG2385_zpsuqj8ac9v.jpg

Also got my custom mooch side skirts installed
IMAG2382_zps8nwel9py.jpg

Ran all the fuel lines. Feed and return both followed the stock lines on the passengers side of the car. -8 PTFE feed and return. My first time using PTFE line and fittings, I think they are easier to make than regular AN line. Fore 10 micron filter with stainless steel mesh.
IMAG2226_zpskur5iooo.jpg

IMAG2380_zpsjxef2q4w.jpg

IMAG2381_zpstwlqyy7y.jpg

IMAG2379_zpshsa6dnno.jpg

IMAG2378_zpsqkjri3yd.jpg

Regulator mounted on the passengers side bumper bracket. Mounted upside down so I can adjust fuel pressure without removing the fender liner if need be! Shame this baby is hidden!
IMAG2377_zpsfelfjpee.jpg

Feed lines to the rails come up through the fender line the stock ones do and enter the back of the rails
IMAG2376_zpsn9qbhf6o.jpg

Throttle body back on with a new gasket
IMAG2375_zpsgbhllnzk.jpg

On3 Coolant crossover lines made and installed. Barely was able to squeeze my FRPS on the end of the rail
IMAG2371_zps7ot8yqh6.jpg

IMAG2373_zpsmh9mm99z.jpg

IMAG2374_zpsdill36jc.jpg

IMAG2351_zpseg1v8udd.jpg

Tested the e85 at the local station. Looks to be between e80 and e85! Same price as 87 octane too!

IMAG2333_zpsbdlawe0w.jpg

IMAG2390_zpskntaci2w.jpg

Loaded up the startup tune from Pete at performance dyno
IMAG2334_zpstgztd4nt.jpg

Finally, my Comp Turbo 7675 Triplex Ball bearing billet wheel turbo arrived! Thing is pretty compact and very light. Billet compressor wheel and billet center section look great!
IMAG2336_zpsuvnhra5p.jpg

IMAG2340_zpsviug95l7.jpg

IMG_20150501_191920_zpsify7vwht.jpg

IMAG2342_zpswf49guxv.jpg

Nothing like drilling into your brand new turbo haha. Drilling and tapping for the wastegate boost reference.
IMAG2345_zpsksjuyotd.jpg

IMAG2346_zpswvdhodx5.jpg

Turbo mock up
IMAG2359_zpsj57ftgit.jpg

And the first hiccup. The way the turbo has to be clocked for my application, with the center cartrige verticle, the drain runs right into the t4 flange. Seems like a bad design to me, but what can you do.

This was the best I could do before the drain ran into the t4 flange,
IMAG2347_zps37j8kge0.jpg

IMAG2348_zpsdhoviw61.jpg

IMAG2360_zpsgzaiql9o.jpg

IMAG2369_zpsfh4vrebz.jpg

My plan for now is to run this fitting, and hope that the thin section of tube at the 45 degree bend allows me to clear the flange and keep the cartridge vertical. Fingers crossed, otherwise the angle grinder is coming back out. Fitting should be here tomorrow. Everything else is done. Hoping this fitting solves my problem and I can fire it up. Everything else is done and ready.
SUM-240111_xl.jpg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I may have missed it, but I see your selling your new fuel system. What's taking it's place? Build looks great so far!

MTBSully

Established Member
Fired her up last night. Fired up used loosely. Battery was really low and the car idled like it was running on 3 cylinders and wouldnt stay running. Tried reloading my startup tune to be sure and that made the battery so low it wouldnt crank. Going to charge the battery after work today and while it is doing that, go over the basics. Already checked for vac leaks. Have 40PSI fuel pressure at the rail with the key on. Only code so far is the P1000 readiness monitor which is expected since the battery has been out of the car all winter. Also verified a oil pressure by removing the turbo feed line for a 5-10 seconds and completely filling a poland spring waterbottle haha. Here is a video, not really sure what that squeeking is, maybe related?

[youtube_browser]1ztDLUoFEa4[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Pull the plugs? You should be able to tell on a fresh set which cylinders aren't firing, they'll be clean. If they are also wet, you know you're getting fuel. If they are bone dry, might be an injector issue. If they are wet, look at the coils and plugs themselves, checked for pinched wires all around.

MTBSully

Established Member
Pull the plugs? You should be able to tell on a fresh set which cylinders aren't firing, they'll be clean. If they are also wet, you know you're getting fuel. If they are bone dry, might be an injector issue. If they are wet, look at the coils and plugs themselves, checked for pinched wires all around.

Yeah thats the plan. While the battery is charging gonna pull the plugs and see how they look. I swapped to TR6s from BR7EFs before I started these changes back in February or so, so they are brand new. Should be easy to tell. Whole fuel system is brand new as well including injectors though so who knows. Start with the basics. Added the video

Last edited:

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Mine sounded like that when it was being flooded with fuel. LaSota was on vacation when he wrote my start up tune and I was blown away that he did it will on vacation but he may have had a drink or two because the injector data was all sorts of wrong. Couple that with me having the wrong MAF information in the tune and my car wouldn't even start to begin with. Once I corrected the MAF it started and sounded almost identical to that until I corrected the injector data.

MTBSully

Established Member
Spent some more time diagnosing last night. Plugs looked fine, if anything a little lean. Checked all connections. Unplugged TPS and it did the same. Unplugged MAF and it fired up and purred like a kitten. Guess my MAF table is off, so Im going to give my tuner a call. I know the slot style MAFs are a bit harder to remote tune.

MTBSully

Established Member
Yup.

Ended up swapping the comp turbo for a turbonetics 7575 billet wheel ball bearing. The comp turbo made less than the old turbonetics I had on there and took till 6000 rpm to make 20lbs of boost:rollseyes

The new turbonetics is great, and shipped to my door in 4 days. Made 805rwhp at 21lbs of boost on e85. Car is a monster! Could have made more but my spark was blowing out (need to adjust the gap) and 805 is enough for me on stock motor haha. Will write up a longer update later. Getting the car ready for mustang week!

IMG_20150613_110446_zpstpa1edow.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread