MTBSully's 04 TR Cobra On3 FF Turbo Build

MTBSully

Established Member
2015 UPDATES: PAGE 6

Been waiting to make this thread for a while now. I bought my cobra in march 2012, and around June 2012 I decided I was going to skip the whole whipple/KB phase and go right to what everyone seems to do eventually, go turbo. I started collecting a few parts in october, researched and learned all winter, and last week finally ordered the kit, return fuel system and some other things now that I am out of school and have time to work on it. Here is the basic rundown:

On3 2nd Gen FF Turbo Kit
-Turbonetics 7668 Ball Bearing T4 Turbo
-Dual Tial 38mm Wastegates or single tial 44mm wastegate (opinions welcome here)
-Tial or HKS 50mm BOV
Lethal Performance Budget Return Style Fuel System
RXT Twin Disk Clutch w/ 26 Spline Input
Eboost Street boost controller (Unless I can find a good deal on an eboost2)

Relevant mods already on car:

Upr k member
Maximum motorsports control arms
Maximum motorsports coilovers
Maximum motorsports caster camber plates
Kenny brown Full length sfc
Bf irs brace
arp 3" wheel studs
N2MB Wot box with no lift shift
maximum motorsports bumpsteer kit

This is a thread to entertain you guys, but it is also my first time tearing into a modular motor and my first turbo car, so there will most likely be questions in every post. So, If you have been through this before, please stop in often to see the progress and offer advice if needed!:beer:

Kit and fuel system should be here later this week, so I started digging into things today. Onto the pics:

Started last night with a compression test. Looks healthy to me!
null_zps1b3cc435.jpg

Her last miles (hopefully) as an Eaton car! 40,999.5
null_zps12291817.jpg

Glory shot of the Recaros I put in a few weeks ago. Keeping with the red and black theme
null_zpsc21fecd7.jpg

99-01 parts I picked up last fall. Painted the intake flat black this winter. Anyone see anything that I am missing?
null_zps82f15c41.jpg

And finally my workspace at my summer house. Space is a bit cramped but it will do
null_zps05784f84.jpg

Started with a blank slate:
null_zps22a64d8e.jpg

Is all this shit EGR stuff? I am deleting the EGR, but there is a TON of Vac lines over here that I disconnected today.
null_zps0e3706af.jpg

null_zps56d2f865.jpg

null_zps542761df.jpg

Kind of skimped on pictures between the start and actually getting the blower and intake off haha, oh well.

null_zpse4bee8f3.jpg

Looks like they were up a little late putting together my motor!
null_zps5b5dfab9.jpg

Do I need to keep this part of the PCV system or should I give it to the guy buying my eaton swap?
null_zps6ece5230.jpg

This was on the back of the intake and was stuffed into the wire loom behind the intake. Thought i might have broke a wire or something when I ripped it out but I guess ford was smart enough to use two layers of plastic wire loom so It would appear I just broke the little plastic fitting. Oh well, not going to be reused
null_zps80a4b511.jpg

null_zps6456690f.jpg

This was plugged into the back of the eaton. What happens to it now?
null_zps9df1f692.jpg

And here is where I stopped for the day. Lots of progress, and more to come tomorrow
null_zps2d5b6516.jpg

:beer:

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
I will be watching this very closely. as i'm going to be doing the same thing soon, I cant decide between the on3 kit or doing a cg hotside with ebay intercooler piping/treadstone cooler. What kind of fuel are you going to be using and what's your goal?

itSSlow98

Established Member
Do the single tial 44mm wastegate. Im on the 38mm turbosmart one with zero issues but it came with the hellion kit.

Like said what fuel are you gonna be using? Also take that alternator apart and paint the housing its ridiculously simple to do and it sits right in front of you so it cant look like crap.

MTBSully

Established Member
I will be watching this very closely. as i'm going to be doing the same thing soon, I cant decide between the on3 kit or doing a cg hotside with ebay intercooler piping/treadstone cooler. What kind of fuel are you going to be using and what's your goal?

I looked at CG but mine is a street car so I couldnt deal with deleting the swaybar. Plus, I got a complete hotside and coldside for about the cost of the CG hotside.

Do the single tial 44mm wastegate. Im on the 38mm turbosmart one with zero issues but it came with the hellion kit.

Like said what fuel are you gonna be using? Also take that alternator apart and paint the housing its ridiculously simple to do and it sits right in front of you so it cant look like crap.

I will be running 93 octane. Not sure about meth or not yet. Looking to make around 750rwhp.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Your gonna need more then 93 octane to make 750rwhp on your setup safely. I have a dual nozzle meth kit on mine. IATs less then ambient even in 90 degree heat is damn nice.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I looked at CG but mine is a street car so I couldnt deal with deleting the swaybar. Plus, I got a complete hotside and coldside for about the cost of the CG hotside.

I will be running 93 octane. Not sure about meth or not yet. Looking to make around 750rwhp.

Yeah I hear ya there. I think if you get thru your build without any issues I'll end up doing the same kit.

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
Nice project. I've noticed you painted the intake but didn't drill it for the Iat 2 sensor. Are you running it elsewhere?

MTBSully

Established Member
Got a bunch done today but didnt take many pictures. Removed the HE hard lines and intercooler pump, pulley bridge, coolant crossover, alternator and bracket, X pipe, front and rear o2 sensors and swapped over the throttle cable for the 99-01.

Questions:

1. Can I use a regular 3 jaw puller to remove the blower lower pulley? What about the crank pulley?

2. I am selling my eaton swap to someone and I am wondering If I have any options other than to cut off these plugs for the intercooler pump and HE fans to give to the new owner? Do these unplug somewhere without hacking anything up?

null_zps10d0648c.jpg

null_zps1f7a6806.jpg

X pipe is off
null_zps2a726489.jpg

Bridge and coolant crossover removed
null_zpscad01944.jpg

Thats it for today. Fuel system should be here saturday and the Kit itself should show up any day now.

SVTChris10

Established Member
That lower pulley is a bitch to get off, I stripped mine out so be careful. What are you doing for your coolant crossover? And please do post pics of the kit when it arrives, I've been debating swapping my hellion hotside to an on3 hotside for a while.

MTBSully

Established Member
That lower pulley is a bitch to get off, I stripped mine out so be careful. What are you doing for your coolant crossover? And please do post pics of the kit when it arrives, I've been debating swapping my hellion hotside to an on3 hotside for a while.

I have a 99-01 coolant crossover. You should be able to see it in one of the pictures. Did you use a 3 jaw puller to get yours off?

SVTChris10

Established Member
Just a breaker bar with a 4 foot pipe on the end for leverage. Mine just wouldn't break free, hopefully you have better luck.

MTBSully

Established Member
Update:

Got the lower pulley off. Ran to autozone and got the right allen head socket. Now I need to get the harmonic balancer off. I have two pullers, one is a 3 jaw puller and one is a puller that bolts to the balancer in 3 spots. However, they both have somewhat pointy ends like this:

2013-06-07_19-05-40_793_zps5416c587.jpg

Maybe I am being a little anal here, but is this what you guys used to pull your harmonic balancer off? Don't want to damage the crank snout in any way. Also should I re-use my harmonic balancer or use the 99-01 balancer that I have?

Also do I need to keep any of these water hoses that go to the oil cooler/radiator or do those all go to the guy buying the eaton swap?

Thanks fellas!

SVTChris10

Established Member
I reused my stock balancer because I have no way of getting it off

I ended up sawing it off flat and thats how it will stay
IMG_0414_zpscda7edd2.jpg

and as far as those hoses that are all connected to your t stat i would imagine you keep those since you need them

ctgreddy

Established Member
for the pulley removal just use either of your pullers. if the lower has bolt holes to bolt the one to you can use that. as for the point on the end of the screw, you can just take the crank bolt, take the washer off and screw that back in and then just push off of that, or take a 1/4" extension and put it in the crank hole and push against that. then You'll have a little hole for the point to go in. Dont use a 3/8" extension, it's a tad too big and will mess up the threads.

Users who are viewing this thread