MTBSully's 04 TR Cobra On3 FF Turbo Build

MTBSully

Established Member
UPDATE:

Sorry took way too long to post this but I have a truck now, work 50 hours a week, ride my motorcycle + life so progress has been somewhat slow. Anyways, got the car out of storage in april and started making some changes after work. First, upgrading those crappy oil filter relocation lines and barbed fittings to a proper AN line setup and fittings.

crowded garage. Cant wait to not be so cramped
IMAG0010_zpswreq6tqm.jpg

see ya:
IMAG0012_zpssid2yffq.jpg

Polished up the stingers
IMAG0013_zpsqp63jxhv.jpg

IMAG0017_zps0trybcwt.jpg

Painted the remote filter housing
IMAG0033_zpsfiussiqm.jpg

So long crappy fittings
IMAG0061_zpsqtxe9qwt.jpg

Pretty much a pro at making AN lines at this point
IMAG0058_zpsd4tltfc7.jpg

Also went with rotella T6 oil (which I now run in my truck, motorcycle and the cobra lol) and a motorcraft filter this time around. Sorry car was filthy and I hadn't washed it
IMAG0049_zps4ddlpzsp.jpg

IMAG0048_zps3e8vewra.jpg

IMAG0047_zpsrxt9ajk3.jpg

IMAG0050_zpsmnpb9i3w.jpg

IMAG0060_zpsgg2ow8ti.jpg

Also decided to paint the alternator and polish the intake charge pipe. Now all that is left to do in the engine bay is PC the valve covers and clean up some wires. Also did my best to polish/clean up the compressor housing

IMAG0034_zpsq5mp0gcf.jpg

IMAG0031_zpsm6qhxgrw.jpg

IMAG0057_zpsbhdahwzw.jpg

IMAG0056_zpszea0eisj.jpg

Also picked up a set of stock rear springs and cut them so i can slam the car. Left the bottom isolators in and did a "heater hose mod" i learned in the LS world on the top:
IMAG0062_zpslgs7tdit.jpg

Finally got the car outside and gave her a good cleaning. Still shines up pretty good!
IMAG0067_zpsuxrdyixi.jpg

I also was tired of leaking exhaust after the downpipe, since all that holds it together was band clamps and lots of copper rtv. A kit like this required lots of adjustment, and I was tired of constant leaks and the messy copper RTV every time something needed adjusting. Decided to do it right and bought 3" V-Bands as well as a 3" cutout. The cutout was a shitty ebay one that was like $120 shipped, and it leaks like crazy and already broke lol. But, the rest of the exhaust is so much more solid right now and 100% leak free. I will be ordering a QTP or DMH cutout to replace it, just the plate and motor though since the rest of the cutout kit is all stainless and pretty solid.

Ebay cutout:
mNGQhkjSKTXld3DBGDDvbPQ.jpg

**** these things:
IMAG0111_zpst0xcduqk.jpg

Much better:
IMAG0020_zpsfnxieolx.jpg

Welding the cutout in:
IMAG0110_zpslevfqr1j.jpg

V-bands (we just MIG welded them and painted them. You can't see them under the car so I didnt care).
IMAG0109_zpsq7ywbkof.jpg

IMAG0108_zpszikavgvw.jpg

Forgot to get pics of the exhaust installed. Those will come in the next update.

Finally got the car to the dyno for a full tune. I had the 6lb springs in the wastegate, and was figuring out the boost controller so it took us like 13 pulls before we maxed the boost controller out at around 16.5PSI. Needless to say everything was HOT. Regardless still put down decent numbers. Hoping to go back in a couple of weeks with the right WG springs in (I have them) to get to 18PSI and maybe not headsoak everything so much.
IMAG0195_zps4djmyoev.jpg

IMAG0194_zpsuuvt4ae7.jpg

IMAG0261_zpsrj7atdsf.jpg

I have a bunch of videos I will upload them after work. Don't want to use up all my data haha.

TO DO List:

-Offset steering rack bushings so i can slam the front
-Cut rear springs more to match the fronts
-Install 10lb WG springs
-Install new cutout
-Powdercoat valve covers
-New rear tires
-reinstall wheel liners
-Give interior and exterior a full detail
-Drive the damn thing

Last edited:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I'm confused how your boost controller maxed out. You should be able to command more boost than 16lbs even with only a 6lb spring I'd think. What controller is it?

MTBSully

Established Member
I'm confused how your boost controller maxed out. You should be able to command more boost than 16lbs even with only a 6lb spring I'd think. What controller is it?

I heard the rule of thumb was about double the pressure of your WG springs was typical. I was suprised to get that far. It is an AEM true boost. I already had the 10lb springs in, so i just need to swap them out. No big deal.

badblacklx

Established Member
I heard the rule of thumb was about double the pressure of your WG springs was typical. I was suprised to get that far. It is an AEM true boost. I already had the 10lb springs in, so i just need to swap them out. No big deal.

You are correct in most cases you can only command double the wastegate spring. That is the reason a c02 backed controller is ideal. It doesn't rely on boost pressure to add pressure on the wastegate spring. You can have a 2lb spring and command whatever you want over that at a controlled rate for street racing etc.

MTBSully

Established Member
You are correct in most cases you can only command double the wastegate spring. That is the reason a c02 backed controller is ideal. It doesn't rely on boost pressure to add pressure on the wastegate spring. You can have a 2lb spring and command whatever you want over that at a controlled rate for street racing etc.

Seems like an overly complicated system when you could just run the correct WG spring. Anyways, swapping the springs tonight.

MTBSully

Established Member
Thanks fellas.

Got the wastegate springs installed tonight. So cramped trying to get them in and out of the car took an hour. Such a pain. Hopefully last time I have to do that. Reinstalled the wastegates on the flanges with stainless hardware this time so they won't rust like the other ones did. Also installed the wheel well liners (first time they have been in in a year), put the new ballasts in for my fog HIDs, adjusted the coilovers, installed the offset rack bushings with new (shorter) bolts.

Tomorrow hope to get the car on the ground and get the front ride height set so i know how much to cut the rears, and fully clean the interior. May need a slight clutch cable adjustment as well as I just put in a new cable.

MTBSully

Established Member
Couple updates. Been driving the car a bit which is nice. Still have a few things to do but here is what I have been up to lately. First, Dyno videos!

This was the second to last pull. Backfire city!

[youtube_browser]n39v096Rwmo[/youtube_browser]

IMG_20140624_193950_zpst9uyxqld.jpg

Last pull. No backfire this time:

[youtube_browser]BXdTdtALtug[/youtube_browser]

And the graph. Like I said, this was on like the 17th pull on a hot day, so everything was pretty heatsoaked.
IMAG0261_zpsrj7atdsf.jpg

Since then i've done a few little things. Few more little things to go and she will be perfect....for now.

Had hood and rear bumper repainted at Ford. They did an AWESOME job
IMG_0681_zpsnvplsrma.jpg

When that was done I redid my lower valance in 3M carbon fiber vinyl. Came out money.

IMAG0357_zpsn0krtlaq.jpg

IMAG0358_zpsbb4ieb0u.jpg

IMAG0359_zpstpknt81o.jpg

IMAG0360_zpsac23kwqu.jpg

Also tinted and wetsanded/buffed the rear markers while they were out.
IMAG0361_zpsqwgsm2pm.jpg

Also had mooch29 make me some carbon fiber vinyl inserts for the rear. Now I need to decide If i want to do the filled in letters or the outline. Decisions decisions!
IMG_6446_zpsot3i2iah.jpg

Installed the wheel liners:
IMAG0267_zpsymtd66bz.jpg

Random engine shot:
IMAG0265_zpsqv79e1fd.jpg

Installed my offsett rack bushings to give a little more clearance on the tie rods from the exhaust:
IMAG0268_zps8sv2xaeg.jpg

IMAG0269_zpszjfto0sl.jpg

Ride height in the front is pretty much where I want it:
IMAG0316_zpsrc6tlexp.jpg

Crowded workspace. I hate having a small garage
IMAG0410_zpsxir6c7sh.jpg

Last night installed my QTP electric cutout. Bad pic but you get the idea. Installed the switch hidden in the center consol. Turn down pretty much horizontal pointed at transmission to give me maximum ground clearance.

IMAG0413_zpsdgvwb5qr.jpg

IMAG0411_zpsho1ofu7y.jpg

Thats where I'm at now.

To do:

1. Cut rear springs a bit more to level the ride.
2. Install ARP wheel studs on drivers side (did passenger side two years ago when i sheared the stock ones off on the highway. Yikes)
3. Install wrinkle blue valve covers (should be here early next week)
4. Mount and install new toyo R888 315-30R18 tires
5. Install rear bumper inlays
6. Polish and install my new catback

MTBSully

Established Member
Thanks boys. Tires and valve covers are in. Just need to find time to bang these last few things out. Car drove money to and from the lake this weekend with the radio and AC blasting in stop and go traffic to and from boston.

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
Im not a fan of most of the inserts or wraps people do. Just my opinions of course. But that carbon fiber valence looks amazing! have you thought about trying it on the chin spoiler? If yours looks like mine, then it can only look better. HAHA

badblacklx

Established Member
Seems like an overly complicated system when you could just run the correct WG spring. Anyways, swapping the springs tonight.

Love the build man it is looking great.

A spring is easier but doesn't allow the adjustability for traction like a co2 backed controller does that was my point.

:beer:

MTBSully

Established Member
Wow haven't updated this thread in a while. Probably about time considering what is in store for her! Anyways, everything on my "to-do" list from July is now done with the exception of the ARP wheel studs on the drivers side. Still havent done that, but will be soon.

New tires came in:
IMAG0422_zpstwguybt1.jpg

Had to melt the old ones off
IMAG0433_zpsmqmorclh.jpg

GOPR0555_1405787353080_high_zpscweje6nh.jpg

IMAG0434_zpsqaak2eex.jpg

IMAG0435_zpsqbmq0dfb.jpg

[youtube_browser]Sve-Q59reDA[/youtube_browser]
Screenshot_2014-07-20-11-55-28_zps5g25bn6q.png

Bought some Wrinkle blue valve covers on ebay. Also made my own -4 stainless braided turbo feed line since my on3 one started leaking. Also 3M carbon fiber wrapped my coil covers, and painted my throttle body satin

IMAG0425_zpsavgl3dtx.jpg

IMAG0454_zpsr3jegaij.jpg

IMAG0466_zpsbolrmhrj.jpg

Also got a new plate. "IWHINE" didnt quite work anymore. Couple shots from this summer

IMAG0418_zps4nllkz5u.jpg

IMAG0617_zpsnjghkcen.jpg

IMAG0642_zpsucffaue3.jpg

IMAG0644_zpsmuti3p9a.jpg

IMAG0641_zps1jyyanlx.jpg

Nothing like wet paint
IMG_20140817_190408_zpsakysi4sy.jpg

Also cut the rear springs a bit more to level the ride height. Also did prothane motor mounts, but didnt take any pictures.

IMAG1218_zpshxftqzsn.jpg

IMG_20141110_134343_zps7gp8agqm.jpg

One last bath before winter storage (and what a winter it was here in MA)
IMAG1369_zpslxgj5gjb.jpg

Sleep tight ladies!
IMAG1381_zpsywgo5ivy.jpg

IMAG1378_zps0cw4mgg7.jpg

IMAG1389_zpslmluamgx.jpg

So thats where she sat until about a week ago, when I started working on her. Here is the current setup:

Turbonetics 7668 Ball Bearing turbo
Lethal Budget Return system
SD 80lb injectors

Heres the plan:

Comp CT43 Billet Wheel Triplex ball bearing turbo (Still need to decide on an exact size)
ID1300s or similar injectors
Dual Walbro 465s in the tank
-8AN Feed (Dead head setup)
Aeromotive rails
Fore F4i Regulator (mounted in fender, Malcomv8 fuel setup to keep temps cool)
Existing -6 return

Goal is to make 900-1000rwhp on E85

Also doing other little things:

Satin black PC Canton coolant reservoir
On3 Coolant Crossover delete
Ported stock TB (will be porting myself)
Polished AC lines

Probably more I am forgetting but those are the big ones. So, I dove in. Turbo, injectors and some stock parts are already sold

How we started:
IMAG1149_zpsmv8ahdvy.jpg

IMAG1150_zpscijn7ypj.jpg

Made a new aeromotive -10AN return line to replace the shitty ebay one (first AN line I ever made) fall 2013.
IMAG1863_zpsieixyvb8.jpg

New:
IMAG1787_zpsfvziamlw.jpg

Coolant crossover delete came in:
IMAG1861_zps1w6co880.jpg

IMAG1862_zpsvb2a3u7f.jpg

Aeromotive rails came in (like new from someone on here...$100!)
IMAG1866_zpsrgxmaduz.jpg

Lower mustang GT hose and LT1 camaro 170 degree thermostat for the coolant setup
IMAG1818_zpsqhjf7gz6.jpg

So let teardown begin!

Coolant crossover and hoses off. Reservoir coming off
IMAG1819_zpsvjx6npkd.jpg

IMAG1821_zpsg2er20c6.jpg

Reservoir, charge pipe, and downpipe off
IMAG1921_zps5uzcj04p.jpg

IMAG1923_zpsvlwl356q.jpg

IMAG1928_zpsfsyforsp.jpg

Turbo off, ready to be shipped out
IMAG1932_zps9lx8asrg.jpg

Intake hat off
IMAG1971_zpstnqkwlbp.jpg

IMAG1972_zpsjjrlqqym.jpg

Injectors off, and ready to be shipped out
IMAG1973_zpslaivv4hd.jpg

Thats where I left it last night. Now I need to order parts, and get to work! Stay tuned!

MTBSully

Established Member
what size wheels and tires?

18x9 and 18x10 with 275-35R18 Coopers on the front and 315-30R18 Toyo R888s on the rear

Ordered my Comp 7675 Billet Wheel Triplex Ball bearing custom turbo as well as my Deatschwerks 1200CC injectors, as well as my Dual 465 walbro pumps. Finishing planning out my fuel system and then I will order my regulator, lines and fittings.

Time to make some power!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread