MT-82 factory specs

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
The trans was designed and rated for a heavy gross weight vehicle by the trans maker and therefore is ideal to be suited in a truck chassis. Ford decided to install it in the mustang due to how stout it is. The trans specs are 396lb ft of torque with a gross weight of just over 9300lbs. The trans maker doesn't tell the vehicle manufacture what they can install it in, just what they would expect it to be in from their trans rating/test.

This trans is far from cheap, just cause its China made people assume the worst. The trans in our weight cars will be able to handle 700+ ft lbs.

good post. good luck trying to get any of the cry babys to understand that.

my TV sucks, it was made in china.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Also have just under 6K of hard miles on mine. Has seen countless track runs, street runs, highway runs. I drive around on drag radials and now ET streets and the car takes the beating. I have not had any shifting issues with all the stock parts and fluid, and does not whine at all. I just recently as of a week ago, installed a Barton shifter and newest bracket and has made this even a better shifting trans than it already was.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i dont get the MT82 hate. i have ZERO problems with mine and i can shift the hell out of it. and thats with the stock shifter bracket.

i think the problem comes with guys that are used to tremecs. they are a different trans, more stout and ok with being bullied into gear. getrags need to be finessed. if you change your shifting style i think you will find out that that MT82 is just fine.

it took me a few weeks to adapt to it but now i have no miss shifts, no lock outs, no grinding nothing. its a little notchy but thats par for the muscle car course imho. with my 3650 i could hammered out shifts and it never missed a beat. if i try to drive my 13 like i did my 07 the MT82 isnt happy. but if i glide it into gear(and you can still do this very fast) its perfectly fine.

you just need to listen to the trans instead of forcing it. this tranny doesn't need much pressure to get into gear, let the shifter do its work. dont man handle it.

i think you may be right. im still learning to drive my 2013. its much different than my GT500 tranny so its a learning process.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
mine is awesome too. way better than the 3650 or t5

should be the T5 was a POS unless it was built. an the GT3650 in full weight cars werent that great either. the 3650 in the Mach 1's were the only good ones. since they used a different gear set an were stronger.

atistang

Established Member
Translation?

i'm not sure exactly what parts they use their zeiss to measure, but.

a cmm is a coordinate measuring machine, basically it is a computer controlled machine that runs a program to check the dimensions of a certain part. these machines are super accurate and can calculate a sorts of theoretical points and positions. a part it would take man hours or even days to check this machine can do in mins. I know companies use them for checking valve bodies for automatics, just not sure where else these use them at. these cmm's are very sensitive, they need to be in a "clean room" and use air bearings to glide across their granite base (which is typically 12" thick or more). zeiss is suppose to tear them down and check everything, clean everything, and then recalibrate everything every so many hours, according to the guy doing one of ours at work ford has told them not to come do these pms any more.

that seems alright, but here is what happened where i work. people use to lean on the machine arm when it was not in use. so one day i remember talking with some coworkers about how we have been slowly moving our work offsets (cnc mills) more and more the same direction to continue to run good parts and how odd it was. after a few days of this we had quality bring a shit load of parts back saying we need to recheck them because they are no good. so we recheck them all and they are good. send them back through and they got rejected again. so we checked them on another zeiss out on the floor and sure enough they were not good parts. zeiss came in and discovered that the mast had been tweaked a few thousandths and it was enough to throw everything off. now if we were running typical "push go" machines and quality was the only one checking the parts then these parts would have went to our customers and they would have never know the difference until their plasma chambers started screwing up

like i said i'm not sure where ford uses these but for them to cancel the schedules pm's is a sign that they are taking risks to keep cost down. heres a picture of a zeiss cmm checking a valve body

08_cmm_os.gif

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
The MT-82 is the reason I traded my Boss in on a Cadillac and will never own a Ford again.

This trans is far from cheap, just cause its China made people assume the worst. The trans in our weight cars will be able to handle 700+ ft lbs.

I worked for a leading equipment manufacturer in the oil & gas industry. We always had HELL with Chinese manufacturers - Tolerancing, quality control, and maintaining material specs (especially metals) were pretty much alien to them. There is a reason parts made in China are cheaper, and it's not just because of the labor rates.

Last edited:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
The MT-82 is the reason I traded my Boss in on a Cadillac and will never own a Ford again.

I worked for a leading equipment manufacturer in the oil & gas industry. We always had HELL with Chinese manufacturers - Tolerancing, quality control, and maintaining material specs (especially metals) were pretty much alien to them. There is a reason parts made in China are cheaper, and it's not just because of the labor rates.

Thanks. Wow you have a station wagon now. Good call.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
i'm not sure exactly what parts they use their zeiss to measure, but.

a cmm is a coordinate measuring machine, basically it is a computer controlled machine that runs a program to check the dimensions of a certain part. these machines are super accurate and can calculate a sorts of theoretical points and positions. a part it would take man hours or even days to check this machine can do in mins. I know companies use them for checking valve bodies for automatics, just not sure where else these use them at. these cmm's are very sensitive, they need to be in a "clean room" and use air bearings to glide across their granite base (which is typically 12" thick or more). zeiss is suppose to tear them down and check everything, clean everything, and then recalibrate everything every so many hours, according to the guy doing one of ours at work ford has told them not to come do these pms any more.

that seems alright, but here is what happened where i work. people use to lean on the machine arm when it was not in use. so one day i remember talking with some coworkers about how we have been slowly moving our work offsets (cnc mills) more and more the same direction to continue to run good parts and how odd it was. after a few days of this we had quality bring a shit load of parts back saying we need to recheck them because they are no good. so we recheck them all and they are good. send them back through and they got rejected again. so we checked them on another zeiss out on the floor and sure enough they were not good parts. zeiss came in and discovered that the mast had been tweaked a few thousandths and it was enough to throw everything off. now if we were running typical "push go" machines and quality was the only one checking the parts then these parts would have went to our customers and they would have never know the difference until their plasma chambers started screwing up

like i said i'm not sure where ford uses these but for them to cancel the schedules pm's is a sign that they are taking risks to keep cost down. heres a picture of a zeiss cmm checking a valve body

Great post, thanks for taking the time to type all that out.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Just had my early '11 manual trans rebuilt after 22k miles.

They also replaced the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate. Initial cause was the PP bolts backed out and cause several syncros to become damaged.

300AGT

Established Member
Well I got 46,000 miles on my MT-82 in my 2011 300a GT . Been using a manual Trans car as a DD for over 30 years and after you learn how to shift this thing it dose a darn good job. There only one thing i can say bad about my MT-82 is it now winds in 1st ,2 ,3 and 4 when at wot other than that it been a great trans . I am running Redline MTL 70-80 gear oil in .

I think having that run of pressure plate blots that came lose when a long way to people thinking the MT-82 trans was a bad trans. when in fact it was the pressure plate not being bolted down tite that was the trouble maker. Just my 2cen.

whitestang04GT

I Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
K-I-L-O-G-R-A-M-S
Agreed your rating is "half" correct, people must "Decipher" information correctly. The new MT82 transmission, which is made by "getrag" some of the best trans out there, is rated for alot more and its advertised rating is 375-380 torque "BUT" that's rated @ 4250 KG gross vehicle weight & 6500 KG maximum towing capacity, yes kilograms do the math thats 9-14,000 LBS , mustang is less than 4000lbs, and remember those are Maximum ratings. So its capable of handling a lot of torque. These transmissions are used in a variety of Trucks & Suvs which commonly require a much stronger transmission. Much like ford has done in the past with there automatics that they place in Expeditions & Explorers that see towing conditions, that same trans is used in the mustang. They are a lot stronger than the old T3650's obviously, most of those couldn't even handle a supercharger or shot of gas. The people I am seeing with problems are guys pushing upwards of 600+ RHWP, so it goes without saving its obvious from an engineering standpoint there would be issues, that over DOUBLE the factory torque is a 100% increase in power & torque, naturally it is going to put a lot of stress and start causing extreme wear & breakage.
It goes against the laws of common engineering practice for the automotive industry to put an underrated transmission in a vehicle. All manufactures use a minimum of 20% over engineered for there specifications at a bare minimum. So its more or lease rated at higher than published, you can't publish a specification or rating at an engineered parts breaking point unless noted.
Specializing in mustangs, owning & operating a specialty ford shop, I think the MT82 in my professional opinion is a great transmission, you have to remember to consider all the "factors" involved. And consider how many of them out there are just fine with guys well over 600+ rwhp.

Napoleon85

Established Member
i dont get the MT82 hate. i have ZERO problems with mine and i can shift the hell out of it. and thats with the stock shifter bracket.

i think the problem comes with guys that are used to tremecs. they are a different trans, more stout and ok with being bullied into gear. getrags need to be finessed. if you change your shifting style i think you will find out that that MT82 is just fine.

it took me a few weeks to adapt to it but now i have no miss shifts, no lock outs, no grinding nothing. its a little notchy but thats par for the muscle car course imho. with my 3650 i could hammered out shifts and it never missed a beat. if i try to drive my 13 like i did my 07 the MT82 isnt happy. but if i glide it into gear(and you can still do this very fast) its perfectly fine.

you just need to listen to the trans instead of forcing it. this tranny doesn't need much pressure to get into gear, let the shifter do its work. dont man handle it.

If you ever find yourself around Ohio (or I find myself out on the west coast), I will show you that this is not the case in the "defective" transmissions. There is no amount of finessing that makes my MT82 shift properly.

I'm not saying they are all bad, junk, or cheap Chinese piles of crap, but what I am saying is there are more than a few that have legit problems. I'm pretty much stuck between a rock and hard place too, because Ford would likely deny my warranty claim (yes I know I could take them to court for the magnuson-moss act) and flag my warranty due to other mods. I don't have time time or space to be return the car to stock (apartment complex garages ftl), so about all I can do it wait for it to grenade and pony up the cash for a T56 Magnum.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Get this down, the mt 82 is German engineered, and Chinese assembled. there's a big difference between Chinese made and Chinese assembled.

Users who are viewing this thread