MT-82 factory specs

D.T.R

Established Member
I thought i read that the ftlb rating is based on a truck and not a car? therefore the transmission "should" withstand a good bit more than what is rated for?
More info on that would be great...

SirJAG

Established Member
thats why i made post. wanted to spur discussions! looking for a tech pup on the internet i can download now.

Humboldt1498

Established Member
The transmission is rated at something close to 380ft/lbs at 10,000 lbs. So it can handle quite a bit more torque in a 3600lb car.

Last edited:

cbaty08

Established Member
APPLICATIONS
Rear Wheel driven light duty trucks, Sports Utility Vehicles and pick-ups

Why do they make it so hard to find, or at least match that this is our tranny?

Also, how come it doesn't state that this is used in the Mustang? I would have guess that having tens of thousands in Mustangs it would be listed under applications, no?

01bluesnake

Established Member
APPLICATIONS
Rear Wheel driven light duty trucks, Sports Utility Vehicles and pick-ups

Why do they make it so hard to find, or at least match that this is our tranny?

Also, how come it doesn't state that this is used in the Mustang? I would have guess that having tens of thousands in Mustangs it would be listed under applications, no?

Because the mustang doesnt weigh 10,000 pounds for them to test it in.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
APPLICATIONS

B/c then Ford would have to say "yeah uh we went looking for a tranny for our pony car and the chinese made light duty truck unit aligned with power numbers and more importantly it's cheap!":D

Not really a selling point for either company that a performance oriented car is trimmed out with a light duty truck trans.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
The trans was designed and rated for a heavy gross weight vehicle by the trans maker and therefore is ideal to be suited in a truck chassis. Ford decided to install it in the mustang due to how stout it is. The trans specs are 396lb ft of torque with a gross weight of just over 9300lbs. The trans maker doesn't tell the vehicle manufacture what they can install it in, just what they would expect it to be in from their trans rating/test.

This trans is far from cheap, just cause its China made people assume the worst. The trans in our weight cars will be able to handle 700+ ft lbs.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
So far, i think this transmission is no slouch. I don't see how this transmission gets bashed so much...
I have been pushing close to 600ftlbs through it consistently for the past couple of months (and I race it every week religiously) and the transmission still feels like the day I drove the car off the lot.
So far, IMO, it's holding up better than a stock T56 does in a cobra for instance. I have seen a handful of people breaking T56s with less than 500whp/450wtq...
I really hope they come out with some sort of built guts for it.. so that for those of us that like to stay with a manual can keep making power with these transmissions safely.

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
This trans is far from cheap, just cause its China made people assume the worst. The trans in our weight cars will be able to handle 700+ ft lbs.

Think what you want but there is a reason it is made in China. That reason is manufacturing is cheap, significantly cheaper than making it in the states. I'm not using cheap as equal to low quality I'm using it in its true intention.

flynz

Established Member
Seeing this makes me feel less bad about getting my m6 car... no lift shifts will commence now!!!

Erich

Established Member
I wish I had the M6 in my 97 GT....Shifts so much nicer than a T45.
Erich

flynz

Established Member
ive probably got over 200 power shifts on my car, it whines a lot though

Well, mines got a few on it too, just have been taking it easier than usual but not any more, if it breaks just go to the auto side I suppose :shrug:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I will admit to bashing these trans pretty hard last year, my first one was junk and the replacement took a while to show up as there were 500 units on backorder. That was for repairs only, not new vehicle production, that says a lot! The replacement has been great, knock on wood :)

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
i dont get the MT82 hate. i have ZERO problems with mine and i can shift the hell out of it. and thats with the stock shifter bracket.

i think the problem comes with guys that are used to tremecs. they are a different trans, more stout and ok with being bullied into gear. getrags need to be finessed. if you change your shifting style i think you will find out that that MT82 is just fine.

it took me a few weeks to adapt to it but now i have no miss shifts, no lock outs, no grinding nothing. its a little notchy but thats par for the muscle car course imho. with my 3650 i could hammered out shifts and it never missed a beat. if i try to drive my 13 like i did my 07 the MT82 isnt happy. but if i glide it into gear(and you can still do this very fast) its perfectly fine.

you just need to listen to the trans instead of forcing it. this tranny doesn't need much pressure to get into gear, let the shifter do its work. dont man handle it.

atistang

Established Member
i dont get the MT82 hate. i have ZERO problems with mine and i can shift the hell out of it. and thats with the stock shifter bracket.

i think the problem comes with guys that are used to tremecs. they are a different trans, more stout and ok with being bullied into gear. getrags need to be finessed. if you change your shifting style i think you will find out that that MT82 is just fine.

it took me a few weeks to adapt to it but now i have no miss shifts, no lock outs, no grinding nothing. its a little notchy but thats par for the muscle car course imho. with my 3650 i could hammered out shifts and it never missed a beat. if i try to drive my 13 like i did my 07 the MT82 isnt happy. but if i glide it into gear(and you can still do this very fast) its perfectly fine.

you just need to listen to the trans instead of forcing it. this tranny doesn't need much pressure to get into gear, let the shifter do its work. dont man handle it.

from what i have seen locally and on the internet it seems most of the problems were from earlier built cars with a few still popping up here and there. then you add in the fact that everyone gets on 5 different forums to complain about the same problem, and the fact that they are a chinese transmission. people tend to blow things out of proportion.

the fact that the trans is built in china didn't keep me from buying a manual. and aside from a few quirks i love the mt-82 so far.
close gear ratios help our cars out perform the competition with less hp, and so far i have only missed one WOT shift and i am 100% sure it was my fault and not lockout.

that said i do have some things that i am pretty sure are going to lead to a short life of my transmission
its whined since the day i drove it home and only gets louder as the miles build (not even @ 6k yet)
i used to get locked out of 5th if i tried shifting from 1st or second to 5th (this has went away)
downshifts into 5th are not easy at all, i'm fairly certain that there is a problem with the 5th gear syncro

i just happened to be one of the unlucky ones who got a poorly built gear box, hopefully when this thing kicks the bucket the replacement will be a winner.

i think the main problem was quality control. they either were not checking things accurately, or frequently enough. i do know that when the repairman from ziess was at my work he was telling me how ford stopped having pm's dont on their cmm's and were only having them serviced when something broke. thats a sign of taking risks to cut costs, and could cause a problem like a run of bad transmissions.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
i think the main problem was quality control. they either were not checking things accurately, or frequently enough. i do know that when the repairman from ziess was at my work he was telling me how ford stopped having pm's dont on their cmm's and were only having them serviced when something broke. thats a sign of taking risks to cut costs, and could cause a problem like a run of bad transmissions.

Translation?

Users who are viewing this thread