MSRP is upon us.

Trader

Established Member
I just got an email from a dealer offering me a vert for 7 over. I do not like verts , bleh.

But anyways. Some of you have to understand that there are those of us not willing to pay 50k for a 35k car simply because it is not worth it. At all. The car is sweet has some decent power, but at the end of the day it is still just a cobra. Not a high end car. It is never going to be worth gobs of money.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Trader said:
I just got an email from a dealer offering me a vert for 7 over. I do not like verts , bleh.

But anyways. Some of you have to understand that there are those of us not willing to pay 50k for a 35k car simply because it is not worth it. At all. The car is sweet has some decent power, but at the end of the day it is still just a cobra. Not a high end car. It is never going to be worth gobs of money.

You sound like the perfect candidate for a $25K used Terminator! :-D

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
USBlueStage2 said:
That's what I did - :coolman:

I bought a 29k 10,000 mile ZO6 that is about a half second faster than a GT500. I figured I would sell it when the prices started to fall on the GT500s. But I love the damn thing so much I am NEVER getting rid of it!

So now I will have both. :coolman:

Zeke0123

Established Member
KMCBOSS said:
I find it hard to believe that some of you folks are still crying about MSRP or bust. If someone can afford 45K for a car then a few K extra couldn't be that big of a financial problem. I suspect many of you guys spend more on booze, cigarettes, women and gambling a year that the ADM is worth on a Shelby.
Its not that big of a deal for some....I have paid asking price no haggling on a lot of classic cars I dont mind giving a few K to another enthusiast I am buying someones "baby" but I have haggled when 1. dont get a good vibe from the guy 2. The car just isnt worth near the value..but for me to just hand 20k or even 5k extra to a salesman who just happens to have new car I want...when I purchased my GTO (mostly for the wife) I went to a few dealers out here in socal and they wanted a 5k+ adm and their attitude just pissed me off (Im not used to buying new cars the GTO was my first)so I went out of state and got it for X plan.. for me the GT500 is just an upgrade for my daily driver. It seems like a great car but everyone feels/thinks differently about stuff like this im just not going to pay it even if I can afford it.

Last edited:

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Zeke0123 said:
Its not that big of a deal for some....I have paid asking price no haggling on a lot of classic cars I dont mind giving a few K to another enthusiast I am buying someones "baby" but I have haggled when 1. dont get a good vibe from the guy 2. The car just isnt worth near the value..but for me to just hand 20k or even 5k extra to a salesman who just happens to have new car I want...when I purchased my GTO (mostly for the wife) I went to a few dealers out here in socal and they wanted a 5k+ adm and their attitude just pissed me off (Im not used to buying new cars the GTO was my first)so I went out of state and got it for X plan.. for me the GT500 is just an upgrade for my daily driver. It seems like a great car but everyone feels/thinks differently about stuff like this im just not going to pay it even if I can afford it.

How did you get X plan on a GTO? X plan is Ford.
In the driveway is the = GM plan. I'm confused:??:

Zeke0123

Established Member
company I work for has a deal with ford dodge and gm...we call it X plan (might be different than the one your talking about) I think its invoice + some percentage I was otd for 32...and just liked the fact that there was no haggleing and the salseman was a decent guy.

*edit* its a "suppliers discount" if that helps.

Last edited:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Zeke0123 said:
company I work for has a deal with ford dodge and gm...we call it X plan (might be different than the one your talking about) I think its invoice + some percentage I was otd for 32...and just liked the fact that there was no haggleing and the salseman was a decent guy.

*edit* its a "suppliers discount" if that helps.

Yikes. Funny thing is, my wife actually wanted me to look at the GTO when they first came out. Went to the dealership nearby and they wanted 5k over. Not only that, but they said I could not even test drive it. According to the salesman, the people that were going to buy this car wanted it to have less than 100 miles when they took delivery. Duh. So I looked it over and decided it wasn't for me.

Almost exactly one year later I was driving by the same dealership and saw 14 04 GTO's sitting on the lot like lil ducks in a row. Pulled in and guess who walked out to greet me, yep...same sales guy. I asked if they were allowing test drives yet and he told me to "take the damn thing home for the weekend". I took a test drive and liked the car alright, but it was still not for me......even at the 24.7k price he gave me for a NEW (albeit year old) GTO. Not trying to bash at all, just telling my experience with ADM's. To be honest, I almost wish I had bought the car as a DD for that price, its definitely not a bad ride.......

Last edited:

03kbredfire

Established Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^ HaHa Good story. I like when they have to eat their words. I was lucky, the GM dealer I went to let me drive theirs right after delivery. Like 5 min. Had just pulled car off and not detailed yet. It was when they were offering like 5 K off dealer pricing to move cars. I still couldn't buy it at that, but probably should have.

When I went to purchase my Cobra it was the same story as yours. The dealer would not allow test drives so I bought one somewhere else and drove back to the dealer for an SVT club meeting. The same salesman said that they could have worked with me if they new I was serious. I have no use for that kind of dealership.

Zeke0123

Established Member
Rick James said:
Yikes. Funny thing is, my wife actually wanted me to look at the GTO when they first came out. Went to the dealership nearby and they wanted 5k over. Not only that, but they said I could not even test drive it. According to the salesman, the people that were going to buy this car wanted it to have less than 100 miles when they took delivery. Duh. So I looked it over and decided it wasn't for me.

Almost exactly one year later I was driving by the same dealership and saw 14 04 GTO's sitting on the lot like lil ducks in a row. Pulled in and guess who walked out to greet me, yep...same sales guy. I asked if they were allowing test drives yet and he told me to "take the damn thing home for the weekend". I took a test drive and liked the car alright, but it was still not for me......even at the 24.7k price he gave me for a NEW (albeit year old) GTO. Not trying to bash at all, just telling my experience with ADM's. To be honest, I almost wish I had bought the car as a DD for that price, its definitely not a bad ride.......
I was interested in them in 04 then heard about the LS2 05s that upped my interest I got it in late 04 probably 2 months after the first ones arrived...I just didnt like the "attitude" I got from the local dealerships first time I went to one he handed me a broshure on the car and said he would be right back...he comes back so I tell him im interested and lets talk some turkey and he tells me "we are getting 8k over for these all day" (with a smirk) so I looked over at my wife with a head tilt towards the door and we get up and walk out....as I get my hand hand on the door "hey its negotiable" yea right f you (didnt say it just kept on walking)..I dont need that crap I would have purchased that day for msrp.. Im not some great negotiator I get that the dealers need to make money...I have no problem with that but I have no doubt even if the numbers got close this sleaseball would have pencil whipped the shit out me..Im no sucker and the GTO while a nice car is no "collectors item".

Last edited:

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
If the latest Goat looked more retro (like the 66-70 goats), I probably would have purchased one, but I can't see buying a car that looks just like a Grand Prix with a GTO badge on it .... it's just sacreligious ... even if it is a RWD 400 hp modern muscle car they could have done a much better job on the body etc.... their loss, Ford's gain

Zeke0123

Established Member
1BADGT500 said:
If the latest Goat looked more retro (like the 66-70 goats), I probably would have purchased one, but I can't see buying a car that looks just like a Grand Prix with a GTO badge on it .... it's just sacreligious ... even if it is a RWD 400 hp modern muscle car they could have done a much better job on the body etc.... their loss, Ford's gain
Its a great car the looks are subjective most that like the old ones (me included) dont care for it Im lukewarm on the looks its grown on me but I get bored pretty fast.. Its fast for a DD ive modded it a bit and its fun but now its time to move on and the GT500 seems like the right purchase. My wife doesnt care for vettes or the viper and Ive always owned musclecar 4 seaters so I guess im going to have to be patient and drive around in the same ole for a while longer.

Last edited:

BCPD199

Established Member
It's been a long time since I posted on this site. I used to own an '03 10th anniversary 'vert. Been motoring around in an '04 Marauder since. I won't even try to explain why. I can remember my '03 having a faded ADM sticker of $10K next to the window sticker. Not only was I able to negotiate the price down from MSRP, there was also $2500 rebate on Cobras and another $2500 rebate on converts.

I'd like to move back into GT 500; but don't want to pay more than MSRP. I was talking to a friend at dealer in Northern NJ and he says that they just paid another dealer 5K over sticker because they had it sold at 15K over. I know him well enough that I know he isn't lying. He asked me an important question that may make sense to all of us here. " Is it the money (meaning if the MSRP was 5000 higher - would you buy it?) or is it just that paying more than MSRP seems wrong?" I stated that it just seems wrong to pay more than MSRP. If that is what Ford Motor Company says it should sell for, than, that is what I should be able to buy it for. I also told him that I would buy it if the MSRP was 55K; but, I wouldn't pay 60K no matter what the MSRP was. I don't think the car is worth that IMHO.

With all this being said, if over the course of 3 years Ford is going to make 24,000 cars, I really don't think the dealers are going to run out of people willing to buy them. I hope I'm wrong. I really want one and am sadly beginning to realize that I'm going to have pay more than MSRP to get one. Right now my limit would be 5k over. Like I said, if the MSRP was 55K I would still buy it.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
BCPD199 said:
It's been a long time since I posted on this site. I used to own an '03 10th anniversary 'vert. Been motoring around in an '04 Marauder since. I won't even try to explain why. I can remember my '03 having a faded ADM sticker of $10K next to the window sticker. Not only was I able to negotiate the price down from MSRP, there was also $2500 rebate on Cobras and another $2500 rebate on converts.

I'd like to move back into GT 500; but don't want to pay more than MSRP. I was talking to a friend at dealer in Northern NJ and he says that they just paid another dealer 5K over sticker because they had it sold at 15K over. I know him well enough that I know he isn't lying. He asked me an important question that may make sense to all of us here. " Is it the money (meaning if the MSRP was 5000 higher - would you buy it?) or is it just that paying more than MSRP seems wrong?" I stated that it just seems wrong to pay more than MSRP. If that is what Ford Motor Company says it should sell for, than, that is what I should be able to buy it for. I also told him that I would buy it if the MSRP was 55K; but, I wouldn't pay 60K no matter what the MSRP was. I don't think the car is worth that IMHO.

With all this being said, if over the course of 3 years Ford is going to make 24,000 cars, I really don't think the dealers are going to run out of people willing to buy them. I hope I'm wrong. I really want one and am sadly beginning to realize that I'm going to have pay more than MSRP to get one. Right now my limit would be 5k over. Like I said, if the MSRP was 55K I would still buy it.

While I agree with some of the points you made, the GT500 would have to be a whole lot more car at 55K MSRP. Do I think the car is worth 5K over the current MSRP, no I don't from the standpoint of what the car is actually worth. However, the car is worth 5K over to me, and that is what I'm willing to pay. I too hoped that after almost a year on the market, MSRP could be had. But unfortunately that is not the case yet. I have until the end of Nov before I get my car, maybe something will happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

Trader

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
You sound like the perfect candidate for a $25K used Terminator! :-D
I had a 03 cobra and got rid of it because I thought i was ugly as sin.

I just could not fall in love with the car. Hardly ever washed it at all.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Trader said:

You are a disgrace to the state of MD.

Fastfords

Established Member
Trader said:

I thought the 03/04 was the best looking mustang of that body. Some Cobras more than others. Lowered a bit and wider rear wheels gave them a mean look. I just never cared for the interior. None the less, bad ass cars.

Users who are viewing this thread