Moving to Vegas

T56LS102

Established Member
My job is moving to Las Vegas toward the end of the year, and it looks like I'll have to move, or find a new job. Me and my wife have four kids, (2 sets of twins) 2 yr old and 5 year old. My biggest concern is raising kids there. Any Vegas peeps here that can shed some light? If i end up moving I am thinking Summerlin or Henderson area.

Currently in OC, California / born and raised in Los Angeles area. politically I am as red as they come.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
AEDAE01A-F768-46ED-A4FC-EDB3FB03E8A7.jpeg

VegasMichael

Established Member
My job is moving to Las Vegas toward the end of the year, and it looks like I'll have to move, or find a new job. Me and my wife have four kids, (2 sets of twins) 2 yr old and 5 year old. My biggest concern is raising kids there. Any Vegas peeps here that can shed some light? If i end up moving I am thinking Summerlin or Henderson area.

Currently in OC, California / born and raised in Los Angeles area. politically I am as red as they come.
I'm a former 30 year Vegas resident. Just moved from there last year back East.

Politically, Vegas is a swing state. There are just as many bleeding heart libs as there are strong line conservatives.

I like your thoughts about considering Summerlin and Henderson. Both are nice communities. Do not rule out Mountains Edge where I lived either. It is south of Summerlin.

I am not a big fan of kids growing up in Vegas. I'm a retired public school teacher and always felt bad for the kids during the summer because it was too hot to play outside. And if you don't have a pool it sucks.

Vegas is not designed for our youth. That's not to say you can't shield them from the seediness that is rampant here, though.

Tax wise, it is very friendly. Question is, can you handle six months of 100 degree+ weather? And don't fall for that crap about it being a dry heat. Set your kitchen oven on bake for 115 and then stick you head inside. Have a blow dryer blowing in your face too because it gets very windy here.

I'm not trying to talk you out of this because it might be the smart thing for you to do. Just understand that living here is unlike almost any other place in the country.

T56LS102

Established Member
@VegasMichael Thank you for the feedback. Understood, living in LA we go to Vegas about 4 times a year and have done so in July / August...you're not kidding! heat is killer!

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I currently live in Green Valley (Henderson). We have lived here for 5 years and we have two kids (ages 12 and 14). You will either want to live in Summerlin or specific areas of Henderson (Green Valley, Anthem, Seven Hills). I'm not as familiar with Summerlin and it seems like it is very far away from town (which could be a good thing or a bad thing). As Michael said, Mountain's Edge is nice too. I bought my Shelby from a guy in that area and while I don't get over there much, it seemed nice.

Erase everything from your mind that you think about Vegas from a visitor's standpoint. We rarely go downtown or to the strip. When we do, we are like "holy shit, what is happening here?!?!?" You are so far removed from it when you live here because every day is just a normal day like anywhere else. @VegasMichael and I have traded a few messages over the years about schools here. It truly is a crap shoot (LOL). We chose an area where we know the schools are good, and we love our neighborhood. However, we chose an upscale area that is considered high end (golf course, gated, etc.). It isn't crazy expensive, but it is expensive enough to keep the wrong people out. Funny, though...when we see CA plates and a moving truck we think "****! There goes the neighborhood." LOL

It is hot here in the summer, so get a pool if at all possible. I'd say mid-May to the end of September is pretty harsh, but I love the heat so I don't mind. It is difficult to keep our kids engaged during the summer because outdoor activities are limited. They swim in our pool but beyond that, they don't do much else. They can't play outside for an extended period of time because of the heat. Then again, in the winter in Minnesota you can't go outside either. Just be prepared for the heat in the summer.

Traffic is a bitch. Not necessarily due to volume, but due to the driving habits of drivers. People are savages on the road.

If you can avoid it, stay away from apartment living. I've heard of a lot of sketchy shit going on but that goes for apartments almost anywhere in the US I guess. Also, people can be very unfriendly but there are a lot of nice people here (more than you think), it is just difficult for nice/good people to trust others. I have met some great people living here who have become close friends. Granted, they are from the midwest where I am from, so maybe that is the real reason I like them.

We love it here. Raising kids can be a concern, but we are decent, good people who teach our kids morals, right from wrong, and making good choices, so they will thrive anywhere. I recently applied to my dream job in another state. This job hasn't been open since 1992 and I was so torn about whether or not to apply because even though it is my ideal job at the ideal organization, I don't want to move from Vegas. We will see what happens if they make me an offer, but I'm literally torn because I like it here.

You can PM me if you have specific questions. I'm happy to help.

T56LS102

Established Member
Thank you for the feedback guys! @VegasMichael @jpro how bad is the auto insurance rates? that was one warning I got from a few people to be prepared for, I wonder if it is high for peaople that live in bad parts only? or does it cover Henderson / nicer areas too?

VegasMichael

Established Member
Thank you for the feedback guys! @VegasMichael @jpro how bad is the auto insurance rates? that was one warning I got from a few people to be prepared for, I wonder if it is high for peaople that live in bad parts only? or does it cover Henderson / nicer areas too?
I doubt there is much difference between nice parts of Henderson and nice parts of Vegas. Despite what you might hear there are some ghetto parts of Henderson. What might shock you is the cost of registration. They charge you a percentage of the car's current blue book value. I bought my vehicle new for about 33k and the registration for the first year was over $600. So the ballers with six figure cars are paying thousands for registration each year. Anyway, I have a 2014 Ford Explorer and paid GEICO about $95 a month for this coverage:
  • Bodily Injury Liability
    $100,000/$300,000
  • Property Damage Liability
    $50,000
  • Residual Medical Payments
    $5,000
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury/Supplementary Uninsured Motorist
    $100,000/$300,000
    Basic Personal Injury Protection
    $200 Deductible
    Comprehensive (Excluding Collision)
    $1,000 Ded. With Full Glass
    Collision
    $1,000 Ded.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I wish you luck in your move to Las Vegas. I know for myself I would never again live anywhere that gets cold. I understand the heat is not for everyone but I’d rather live anywhere in Nevada or any other hot state than anywhere at all in the cesspool that is the Northeast.
Florida is the GOAT but **** off. We’re full. ;)
Good luck.

T56LS102

Established Member
@VegasMichael ok thanks, and wow! I thought Cali was bad for car Reg, I'm ****ed lol... I have a 2020 F250 diesel, wife has a 2021 Yukon xl.

Reg right now is $920 for the Ford, $580 for the gmc... currently paying $160 a month to insure both full coverage.

@BrunotheBoxer I hear ya!

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
@VegasMichael ok thanks, and wow! I thought Cali was bad for car Reg, I'm ****ed lol... I have a 2020 F250 diesel, wife has a 2021 Yukon xl.

Reg right now is $920 for the Ford, $580 for the gmc... currently paying $160 a month to insure both full coverage.

Michael is right about Henderson...there are shady parts, mostly out towards Henderson central. As I mentioned, Green Valley, Seven Hills and Anthem are best in Henderson.

Car insurance: It was a large increase in premium when we moved here from the Midwest, but I'd assume it is pretty close to what you would pay in SoCal. Then again, I could be wrong.

Car registration: The Shelby was a $56k car and registration when it was new/near new was a little over $1k. I think they calculate fees based on original MSRP, age of the vehicle, and a few other things.

FWIW, property taxes are low. However, the sales tax is 8.375% which I think is high. Good thing we have all of those taxes on hotel rooms so when the suckers check in on the strip, we (Vegas) are already winners! LOL

@BrunotheBoxer is right, gimme the heat!!!

ToddW702

Established Member
I hated it. I moved my family out as soon as I could. The school district is horrible so make sure you are looking at the schools you live by or getting on waiting list for the private schools. You may have to grease a few palms to get your children squared away in a decent setting. It doesn’t matte private or public. The private school kids just have more drugs then the public school kids. I can’t complain about the property tax though that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

VegasMichael

Established Member

I wouldn't let a car dissuade you from moving to Vegas. The registrations are expensive due, in part, to compensate for no state income tax as well as very reasonable property tax rates. I don't miss the sun or heat at all but I do miss the 24/7/365 aspect. Any day at any time you can get whatever you're in the mood for.

T56LS102

Established Member
@VegasMichael I'm not letting it, just trying to do my best on preparing myself. Also another thing I am noticing....Holy HOA batman!!! its like 90% of the homes are in an HOA

VegasMichael

Established Member
@VegasMichael I'm not letting it, just trying to do my best on preparing myself. Also another thing I am noticing....Holy HOA batman!!! its like 90% of the homes are in an HOA
I belonged to two HOA's. One for the neighborhood which paid for the 24 hour guarded gate and maintenance($105 a month), and another for the community which maintained the parks and streets($90 a quarter).

Users who are viewing this thread