Mountain pass commuter

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
A few months back I started a thread saying I needed a car to commute 270 miles, each way, each week. In the middle is a mountain pass that gets plenty of snow for a couple of months/year.

I was asking about ideas for a rig that would be:

- reasonably priced (~30K)
- decent to good MPG
- fun

I thought my deal would be a WRX. Only issue there is MPG. Then, I saw something about about the CLA 45 AMG which, for those who don't know, is the new small Benz in the kickass-version. Fast, AWD but 50K, at least.

Anyway, I was driving around and saw a regular CLA - looked way better in person. I decided to see how I fit in it in case I decided I had to have the AMG. No problem there, even with sunroof (6' 3", wide-shoulder'd 250). The lot lizard talked me into a test drive. Whatever, son - it's a turbo 2.0 litre - gonna be like a Toyota. Boy, was I wrong.

How the Germans make 200 hp feel like anyone else's 250 I'll never understand (BMW and Audi do the same). It handled reasonably well, great sound system and had some pretty neat features. If I spend extra 2500 I can have the cruise control that automatically maintains spacing from the car in front and keeps the car in it's lane. Oh, and 38 MPG highway. Wow.

I'm going back tomorrow to drive it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke. If I like it as much, I'll write a check.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you buy it, post a few photos. I'd love to see it. :thumbsup:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Just went over the pass today in my parent's 2011 Focus. It was nice but the CLA would make that very enjoyable. In low visibility like today though you just got to be careful cause it gets crazy through there. Pretty sure I passed a fatality crash the other week right after Snoqualmie heading West bound. Car was flipped over with a tarp covering part of it.

Users who are viewing this thread