Motorcraft Oil Filter Shortage???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I was shopping for a couple filters yesterday (FL-1A & FL-820S) and the local store's shelf was empty. They only had one Motorcraft filter in stock, and it was an FL-2016. Even Amazon was out of FL-1A filters. Amazon had FL-820S filters, but for almost $7. For that price I ended up ordering Wix instead. Guess I'll support the workers up in Gastonia.

Any idea what's going on with all that?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You, or someone had mentioned this a while back. I ordered one for my truck a while ago because of it. No issues getting it about 3 months ago along with the oil.

BlackStang00

Established Member
I noticed this too recently. There was still some available through rock auto but then you have to pay for shipping. I ended up using a cheap one on my 87 Grand Marquis, no noises or leaks so I’m not complaining. I do prefer oem though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robvas

Established Member
Tried finding a Mobil 1 LT1 filter for my dad's Corvette, I get him one every year for Christmas along with a jug of synthetic...

Figured they were just old and nobody carried them.

90lx

Established Member
I've noticed this also. I went to 2 wal-marts this weekend and the shelves were alomst bare of motorcraft except for a couple 910s, 2016s, and a 1995 at one store. I was going to pick up a FL500 and FL1A. They had plenty of the other brand filters. I'll just wait it out or pay probably twice as much for a wix from the parts store.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Tonight the local walmart was out of Motorcraft 820s, 500s, 910s, 1As...
Had plenty of other oil filter brands and Mobil1 5W-20 & 5W-30 oil.
What the heck happened? I looked at my Walmart.com history… last ordered a 820 for $3.97 plus tax (12/15/21), Today (1/10/22) there 13.95 plus tax. WHAT the??

Now I wish I picked up a couple, I get increases but not highway robbery.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I was shopping for a couple filters yesterday (FL-1A & FL-820S) and the local store's shelf was empty. They only had one Motorcraft filter in stock, and it was an FL-2016. Even Amazon was out of FL-1A filters. Amazon had FL-820S filters, but for almost $7. For that price I ended up ordering Wix instead. Guess I'll support the workers up in Gastonia.

Any idea what's going on with all that

I noticed a shortage of diesel oil a while back, but they had plenty of filters at that time.
Still trying to get Rotella at my store.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member

Hint, call or stop buy an International truck dealer or a fleet service business. Ours had plenty and actually had Rotella on sale in November. The flyer was still on their sales counter, so they sold me some at that advertise price.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Local shop I use certain tire sizes and other things impossible to get or greatly delayed.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
What the heck happened? I looked at my Walmart.com history… last ordered a 820 for $3.97 plus tax (12/15/21), Today (1/10/22) there 13.95 plus tax. WHAT the??

Now I wish I picked up a couple, I get increases but not highway robbery.

It was ~$7 on Amazon. For that price I just bought Wix"

If you want really good, this one is tough to beat for the money:

Diesel oil shelf is still empty. I need to count, but I think I still have ~25 gallons of T4 from when I cleaned out Costco for $25/case.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I've used hundreds of Motorcraft filters over the past 25+ years. The boxes and filters were always printed "Made In USA".

About 8 years ago, Ford shortened the length of some of the filters, but IIRC, they were still designated as being Made In The USA.

Over the past couple years, the manufacturing designation has changed to "Majority Content Made In USA", and the filters themselves are labeled, not printed.

I'm not sure Purolator even makes them anymore.
@SID297 ?

Here's a couple pics of 500 and 910 I recently purchased from walmart:

F6254C04-3416-47C3-AAF1-6F50A4D4B51D.jpeg

1641912352732.jpeg

I believe a couple languages were added during the print to label change. That may have been a driver.

1641912428099.jpeg

1641912467751.jpeg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've used hundreds of Motorcraft filters over the past 25+ years. The boxes and filters were always printed "Made In USA".

About 8 years ago, Ford shortened the length of some of the filters, but IIRC, they were still designated as being Made In The USA.

Over the past couple years, the manufacturing designation has changed to "Majority Content Made In USA", and the filters themselves are labeled, not printed.

I'm not sure Purolator even makes them anymore.
@SID297 ?

Here's a couple pics of 500 and 910 I recently purchased from walmart:

View attachment 1734036

View attachment 1734044

I believe a couple languages were added during the print to label change. That may have been a driver.

View attachment 1734045

View attachment 1734046

Maybe they are waiting on a few container loads silicone valves from China????

@13COBRA, have you seen supply issues on filters?

The three languages makes sense so they can cover all of North America with a single part/package.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Maybe they are waiting on a few container loads silicone valves from China????

@13COBRA, have you seen supply issues on filters?

The three languages makes sense so they can cover all of North America with a single part/package.

YES. It's insane.

Also, I needed to pick up some Mobile One 15W-50 full synthetic oil today for my Viper... I went to Walmart, Autozone and O'Reiley's, bought all the stock they had and ended up with 2 quarts.

I then started looking online, it was non-existent. I ended up stumbling on my local NAPA store's site and called them. They had 17 in stock. So I ran up there, bought all 17 and made the comment that I would have bought more if they had it....lady said she could get me 40 more by tomorrow. Done.

AND, it was on sale from $18.78 to $5.99.

20220111_093030.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread