Motor Trend H2H: Z/28 vs. GT350R

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Let's see how many people start complaining about the GT350R now. I know it's going to happen. Great job, Ford Performance!

[video=youtube;vtdtGgf1BF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtdtGgf1BF0[/video]

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Excellent video. The R is an awesome purpose built car. I hope they do as good a job with the next GT500.

Crushinator

Established Member
Awesome video. As a Z/28 owner, I knew the GT350 would beat the Z/28. If it didn't, a lot of people at Ford would've gotten fired. I can't wait to see what the next GT500 brings to the table. I hope (whatever it is) it continues to destroy the ZL1 like they always have.

PS, I still like the Z/28 better. :)

Blackdevil77

Established Member
GT350R is an incredible car. With that being said, I'm still very impressed at what GM and the Camaro team was able to accomplish with that over weight chassis that the Camaro was on. I think the 6th gen Camaro is gonna be a force to be reckoned with.

mustangletback

Established Member
the GT350 R is king.most knew that it would beat the CRAPMARO z28,and it did.here is the big middle finger to Garbage Motors.:pepper::banana:

bpmurr

Established Member
Just want to remind dealers this is a GT350R not GT350.

hognutz

Established Member
This is double edged to me. I can't find and R let alone and R at MSRP. then the car I can maybe find, the GT350 is actually probably slower z28 that I could by right now for like 50k 8k cheaper ha ha.

I don't want another 5 gen though been there, done that.

ITs really too bad you just can't go order an r and have them build it like you can a z06.

BlownAway03

Established Member
I also want to remind people that a current generation Mustang beat a last generation Camaro. I'm sure GM will have an answer, and their car will be lighter.

D2M

Established Member
Before I purchased my 2015 Z28 ( former Mustang owner ) I tried to get a standard GT350 and was unable to. The standard GT350 is selling for 15k over sticker. To get the R you have to know somebody that owns a dealership or something along those lines and pay $$$$$ over MSRP. NO DOUBT the Gt350R is a better car in every aspect..

Lets do some reality math::

Z28, $75 -$20 = 55+ tax = around 60k otd and is readily available, you can get one today

GT350R (as tested ) $67+ 15= 90+tax = around 84K otd and you aint getting one unless your last name is Ford..

That's why I own a Z28.. ^^

That's a $24K minimum, difference... Yeah...

Last edited:

BlownAway03

Established Member
This is double edged to me. I can't find and R let alone and R at MSRP. then the car I can maybe find, the GT350 is actually probably slower z28 that I could by right now for like 50k 8k cheaper ha ha.

I don't want another 5 gen though been there, done that.

ITs really too bad you just can't go order an r and have them build it like you can a z06.

Exactly. Way to go Ford. You've produced your best track focused Mustang ever, but basically no one can purchase it. Plus, for what most dealers want for either Shelby (350 or 350R), you can order a Z06 cheaper, and actually know what's going on throughout the build process.

Last edited:

bpmurr

Established Member
Exactly. Way to go Ford. You've produced your best track focused Mustang ever, but basically no one can purchase it. Plus, for what most dealers want for either Shelby (350 or 350R), you can order a Z06 cheaper, and actually know what's going on throughout the build process.

Bingo! At MSRP or less it's a value. Start tacking on crazy ADMs and a Z/28 or Z06 is a better buy.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Is the R really that much different of an animal though? Seems like a 350+ a few mods would be just as comparable.

hognutz

Established Member

well you can buy the regular GT350 right now for somewhat normal price. it is more in line with a nicely optioned C7 with mag ride.

The R though is not so easy.

it reminds me of the 2000 cobra r a bit. everybody wanted to talk about it's numbers but was not easy to actually get one.

hognutz

Established Member
Is the R really that much different of an animal though? Seems like a 350+ a few mods would be just as comparable.

everbody that has driven both says they are really night and day.

well a few expensive mods might get you close. very light wheels, better brakes, aggressive tires, the aero pieces that won't be cheap.

the one thing I don't know 100% is how much the Code in the mag ride tuning is different from the R to the normal Gt350.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
everbody that has driven both says they are really night and day.

well a few expensive mods might get you close. very light wheels, better brakes, aggressive tires, the aero pieces that won't be cheap.

the one thing I don't know 100% is how much the Code in the mag ride tuning is different from the R to the normal Gt350.

It's a bit different because of the difference in unsprung weight between the R and non-R cars.

I'll give y'all a side by side driving impression presently.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Before I purchased my 2015 Z28 ( former Mustang owner ) I tried to get a standard GT350 and was unable to. The standard GT350 is selling for 15k over sticker. To get the R you have to know somebody that owns a dealership or something along those lines and pay $$$$$ over MSRP. NO DOUBT the Gt350R is a better car in every aspect..

Lets do some reality math::

Z28, $75 -$20 = 55+ tax = around 60k otd and is readily available, you can get one today

GT350R (as tested ) $67+ 15= 90+tax = around 84K otd and you aint getting one unless your last name is Ford..

That's why I own a Z28.. ^^

That's a $24K minimum, difference... Yeah...

The GT350R being marked up is no different than when the Z/28 first came out. That was pointed out to you by a member on the Camaro5 forum. Now Chevy can't sell them and has them marked down $15K...

Both cars are awesome and it's great to see Ford finally building a car that can really turn. That has been one of the biggest complaints over the last several years.

Voltwings

Established Member
I also want to remind people that a current generation Mustang beat a last generation Camaro. I'm sure GM will have an answer, and their car will be lighter.

Because that's what's out right now. Then the next camaro will be faster, then the next mustang, etc etc. Its the way of things, and quite frankly i really hope chevy comes out with something badass because then the mustang will respond and the trend will continue. Really we're the ones who win in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread