Motor Trend- 2007 Shelby Mustang Cobra

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
I really don't see this car beating the new Z06 its a lot heaver and the front is soo damn flat they really need to round it some. And without it having IRS the only thing it will be good for is the 1/4mile. JMO

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
There will be an '08 Sitting next to my '04. Reason: I never buy a car the first year it hits the market. I do not like being a test subject.

That is a very good point, i would also wait untill they get all the knots out that first year.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
KBpumped03 said:
I wasn't referring to peering into a crystal ball for the prospects of the next Z. I was referring to Roush's acting like a half assed psychiatrist making statements about Ford owners and what they "will" say about the GT beating the Z and the next Cobra will beat the GT so it stands to reason on his account that the next Cobra will beat the next Z. one plus one is threee, right? :rollseyes

Wow you are an absolute moron. Thanks for illustrating my opinion. :loser:

Pyro

Established Member
Why are Z06 owners so damn paranoid about the competition? By the time the new Z06's become plentiful, I plan on sporting a KB or Whipple sporting roughtly 600 rwhp anyway. Let's see the new Z handle a Terminator with 600+ rwhp. (Not that I hate Z06's..I just love my Terminator)

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
Pyro said:
Why are Z06 owners so damn paranoid about the competition? By the time the new Z06's become plentiful, I plan on sporting a KB or Whipple sporting roughtly 600 rwhp anyway. Let's see the new Z handle a Terminator with 600+ rwhp. (Not that I hate Z06's..I just love my Terminator)

Anything can be made fast with money.

Let's see your 600+ rwhp Terminator handle the new Z with bolt ons and a 150 shot. My point is, you're comparing a stock (and not even produced yet) car to a modded car. Rice anyone?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
007Paul said:
I'm curious if SVT will put out their own (now lower) version of the Cobra too... A lot of articles still indicated that they were working on a new Cobra with IRS from what I recall.
You're not going to see a Shelby Cobra and an SVT Cobra. It will be either or IMO. I knew when Carroll was signed by Ford that this would probably happen. The postponement of the Lightning and Cobra were signs of what is to come IMO. We'll just have to see what happens, but I still believe that SVT will be dead before long, despite what the Ford propaganda says. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If a Shelby Mustang Cobra has more performance than an SVT version would have had, it's a plus to buyers who can afford it, because it will undoubtedly be more expensive that an SVT version would have been. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Shelby Mustang Cobra selling in the $50K range if it is produced. Time will tell.

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
This wouldn't be good for Ford. I don't think many of us Cobra owners are going to go back to a Mustang GT, nor are we going to spend $helby money on a Mustang when there are better choices for similar or less money. I'm hoping there will be an SVT Cobra and a $helby special limited edition. I for one am not interested in $helby anything and would go elsewhere for my next performance vehicle.

WDW MKR

Established Member
KBpumped03 said:
The C6 is the ugliest vette ever produced and one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. It looks like an RX8 on steroids. It looks almost like a stationwagon the way it's humped up in the ass. I saw a white one the other day and with the painted lenses on the headlights it looked like it should be delivering mail or have a Domino's Pizza sign on the top. It's a plastic toy.

Looks are very subjective, and I think the C6 looks a lot better than the retro-fied Mustang. And as far as the new Z06 goes, you'd be foolish not to agree that it's gonna be one badass performer. Last time I checked, 500hp in a ~3100lb chassis with 50/50 weight distribution will produce insane numbers. I wouldn't go so far as saying it will beat a Ford GT, but it will also cost half as much.

Back on topic, I'm really curious to see what happens. I kinda agree with Bob... I don't see Ford supporting a Shelby and an SVT Cobra. Producing the Shelby car will just make me feel better about driving the last SVT, b/c my car isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:

03redfiresnake

Established Member
I'm with Bob as well, I don't understand where all of these negative feelings towards Carol Shelby come from, IMO us older guys have a great amount of respect for the guy, and I dreamed of owning one of his cars and the gt was his baby, was it not ? I would have more pride driving around a vehicle with his name on it than svt........one for you kbpumped03, you need to relax, this is all just people throwing things out there for discussion.

KBpumped03

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Looks are very subjective, and I think the C6 looks a lot better than the retro-fied Mustang. And as far as the new Z06 goes, you'd be foolish not to agree that it's gonna be one badass performer. Last time I checked, 500hp in a ~3100lb chassis with 50/50 weight distribution will produce insane numbers. I wouldn't go so far as saying it will beat a Ford GT, but it will also cost half as much.

Back on topic, I'm really curious to see what happens. I kinda agree with Bob... I don't see Ford supporting a Shelby and an SVT Cobra. Producing the Shelby car will just make me feel better about driving the last SVT, b/c my car isn't going anywhere.

You are right. This is one car that doesn't looks better in person to me. It bulges everywhere. The painted lenses look like crap especially on yellow and white. It really looks cheap to me.

Wow you are an absolute moron. Thanks for illustrating my opinion.

Finally, most Ford loyalists will argue that the new Z (which is reported to be well within the performance league of the GT) will be handed its ass by the GT then I guess they believe that this rumored spec Cobra will do the same to a Ford GT. Come back to reality.

Whatever ace. I pretty much took your little paranoid spill and made you look like a moron. The previous posts before you cut loose did not compare the Cobra to the present/next Z with the exception that one person said he didn't think Ford could build a car with more HP than a Z for $40-50K. Oh my, damn someone said a Ford may have more HP than a Z and I can hear the world caving. Hell, an 03/04 CObra has more power than the present Z. You just wanted to interject your "The Z conquers all" opinion using bogus complaints for an excuse. You call people morons when when they call you out when you say crap like "To suggest that it will eclipse the performance of the C6 Z06 is just crazy talk" when not one person did. Not one. Who is the absolute moron? Hell, you are a dumb ass.

Finally, most Ford loyalists will argue that the new Z (which is reported to be well within the performance league of the GT) will be handed its ass by the GT then I guess they believe that this rumored spec Cobra will do the same to a Ford GT

What do you call Chevy loyalist and dreamy eyed Z06 owners on Z06vette.com that say they can beat the present Viper. I guess Ford owners can't talk about their cars but Chevy owners can. Ford builds the best performance sports car in America, the Ford GT. A Z whatever aint much faster than an 03/04 Cobra and the next one may not be as fast as the next generation Cobra. The Ford GT rates 550 at the wheels ace. Put that in your little weight to power equation and see how that smells when compaing the next Cobra to your Z. Get over it. It will clean up the drag strip with the next Z. All the next Z has going for it is light weight and a 7 ltr. engine. Big deal. Like I said before, the above statement is the dumbest statement I have ever read. This is a Mustang board and it's a free world if someone wants to compare a Cobra to a Z06. You are paranoid and insecure if you have to make up some lamo, bull crap excuse to sling your own bull crap. Go on back to www.Z0Goober.com ace.

Last edited:

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
roushraven:

why so defensive? maybe b/c you are on the waiting list for a c6 z06? I will be driving one myself, but would NEVER look past a supercharged cobra. get your head out of your @ss.....

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
KBpumped03 said:
You are right. This is one car that doesn't looks better in person to me. It bulges everywhere. The painted lenses look like crap especially on yellow and white. It really looks cheap to me.

Whatever ace. I pretty much took your little paranoid spill and made you look like a moron. The previous posts before you cut loose did not compare the Cobra to the present/next Z with the exception that one person said he didn't think Ford could build a car with more HP than a Z for $40-50K. Oh my, damn someone said a Ford may have more HP than a Z and I can hear the world caving. Hell, an 03/04 CObra has more power than the present Z. You just wanted to interject your "The Z conquers all" opinion using bogus complaints for an excuse. You call people morons when when they call you out when you say crap like "To suggest that it will eclipse the performance of the C6 Z06 is just crazy talk" when not one person did. Not one. Who is the absolute moron? Hell, you are a dumb ass.

What do you call Chevy loyalist and dreamy eyed Z06 owners on Z06vette.com that say they can beat the present Viper. I guess Ford owners can't talk about their cars but Chevy owners can. Ford builds the best performance sports car in America, the Ford GT. A Z whatever aint much faster than an 03/04 Cobra and the next one may not be as fast as the next generation Cobra. The Ford GT rates 550 at the wheels ace. Put that in your little weight to power equation and see how that smells when compaing the next Cobra to your Z. Get over it. It will clean up the drag strip with the next Z. All the next Z has going for it is light weight and a 7 ltr. engine. Big deal. Like I said before, the above statement is the dumbest statement I have ever read. This is a Mustang board and it's a free world if someone wants to compare a Cobra to a Z06. You are paranoid and insecure if you have to make up some lamo, bull crap excuse to sling your own bull crap. Go on back to www.Z0Goober.com ace.

:lol: Yawn, Jean you bore me with your latest intellectual rambling. :smmon:

repulsive1 said:
roushraven:

why so defensive? maybe b/c you are on the waiting list for a c6 z06? I will be driving one myself, but would NEVER look past a supercharged cobra. get your head out of your @ss.....

Hey tool I owned two '03 "supercharged cobras", one of which is still in my garage. As for the location of my head, just checked and it's right where it should be. Come back again with something more original. :kaboom:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Back to the subject of the thread. I got my Motor Trend magazine today and read the article. I have to say at this point I am optimistly impressed with what I see and hear. I really do hope they build this, but also hope the price won't be in the neighborhood of a loaded C6 Corvette. Seeing that Ford is aiming for the Z06 and Viper with this new Cobra, I have a feeling the price would be $50K plus. Nice car, though. I also noted that the article said the Shelby Cobra was replacing the SVT Cobra. I thought that was an interesting comment.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I think CobraBob is right, I hope they build this car however if they exceed the price of a fully loaded C6 than that will be a mistake in my opinion. I hope the SVT badge doesn't leave though, it's hard to find the kind of performance the 03/04 Cobras deliever for the amount of money.

03redfiresnake

Established Member
Maybe if it's a little pricier they can afford to honor warranties and design things better than the 03-04 cobras as well as not producing over 20,000 of them so the value will hold better. I felt like svt really screwed me when they kept building the cobras and they were at every svt dealership at discounted prices !!!

Jpjr

Established Member
WDW MKR said:

It's pretty objective to me.. the mustang is a retro ugly muscle car and the vette is a sleek wedge sports car. Well, that was a bit subjective but the numbers don't lie. The Vette is a much more aerodynamic and purpose built machine. You put the exact same motor in both and the Vette is gone. But I guess you get what you pay for..

Users who are viewing this thread