Motor Trend- 2007 Shelby Mustang Cobra

matstang03

Established Member
I posted this in the 07 Cobra section, but just incase some of you dont go over there i figured i would post here also.

I just got the new Motor Trend in the mail and to my suprise they had what looks to be the new Cobra or now known as the 2007 Shelby Cobra which will replace the old name Mustang SVT Cobra.
They Claim it will produce 550hp and the 0-60mph time could dip below 4.0 seconds with a standing quarter mile in the low 12's or even high 11's and will have the GT's supercharged aluminum 5.4-liter V-8 and a stiffened, toughened version on the GT's live axle with coil springs and an anti roll bar. it also will not weigh that much more then the Mustang GT which weighs in at 3520.
They are saying by getting rid of the IRS and putting in the solid axle they will be saving $70llion in development cost.
It's all on page 16 and 17 if you wanna read about it. I just thought you guys might wanna know :)

BruntzySVT

Established Member
great, we work so hard to make our cars fast and they come out with a cobra that produces 550hp! damnit!

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
Bet you'll like the price of our cars better. I bet that car will be between 45 and 50k!!!!

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
:pepper: :pepper: I have to agree though, it'll probably cost $45k-$50k easily...i can't see it making more than the '06 Z06 and being that much less...looks awesome though

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If that works out, I bet the GT guys will be a tad miffed that their supercar engine can be had in a Mustang.

I also wish it had the SVT name and not Shelby, but that's just me.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
007Paul said:
I wonder if this would make our "SVT" Cobras more valuable in the long run?

interesting point seeing as though the 04's would be the last to be badged SVT

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
So the rumors are true then, svt is dead as dead.....correct?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'm curious if SVT will put out their own (now lower) version of the Cobra too... A lot of articles still indicated that they were working on a new Cobra with IRS from what I recall.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
well the new z06 vette has been guestimated to be 75-85k, anything like shelby or saleen is always way overpriced, mustang saleens were selling for 55-60k for awhile.

anything like they say in this article is likely to be a specialty vehicle like the cobra R. make a few, charge monster money and thats it. seems unlikely this new shelby would be the production cobra.

ill guess the price at 55k. will have to see if its really production or not.

03redfiresnake

Established Member
007Paul said:
I'm curious if SVT will put out their own (now lower) version of the Cobra too... A lot of articles still indicated that they were working on a new Cobra with IRS from what I recall.
From reading the first thread "it will replace the svt mustang cobra ...and save...".not having to engineer the irs. I think ford would be stupid to have carol shelby on their payroll with a retro car like the 05 and not come out with shelby gt350's, gt500's etc. I have said this all along and yea your 04 cobras will be the last of the true svt's but ford knows what it is doing, the newer ones will be faster and more desirable, just like every new model car !!

matstang03

Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
:pepper: :pepper: I have to agree though, it'll probably cost $45k-$50k easily...i can't see it making more than the '06 Z06 and being that much less...looks awesome though

Your right because the article starts off by saying "Think the 500 horse Z06 Corvette is tough?"

I think this car may be replacing my current 04 Cobra when it comes out. Hopefully its at the Auto show in NY in march.

matstang03

Established Member
I scanned a pic of the car in the article. But it wont allow me to post attachments so i can e-mail the attachment to someone if you can put it up on the board. thanx

matstang03

Established Member
07shelbycobra0so.jpg

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
matstang03 said:

:xpl: :xpl: :xpl: :xpl: :xpl:

If this is the new cobra I don't care how much power it makes. Also keep in mind all you younger buyers if the car comes out with 550hp expect your insurance to double what your paying now.

matstang03

Established Member
i really dont think thats what it will look like. I also posted this in the 07 Cobra section and someone even said that the pic is an old photoshop. I believe they just put that in there along wit the article to have a picture. I am sure ford will do a good job with the looks of the car.

Jpjr

Established Member
matstang03, thanks a lot for this info. obviously seeing the issue ourselves will make it credible, but i have no reason to belive your lying (although many have in the past ;)

assuming this is all true, i'm very excited!! who would want to buy a new Cobra if it wasn't vastly superior to ours?!? even at 50k this thing has 50 more hp than the Z06 and can be modded to death... its a huge bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread