Motor rebuild help

50hoes

Established Member
Hey guys i need some help after a few months of saving i finally have enough money to rebuild my motor on my 2004 cobra. Can you guys help me on which pistons, rods, rings and all i should get? Or are there any kits that come with everything and if not what else would i have to get? Im trying to go the cheapest route because at the end of the day im only 18 and im not tryna loss my cobra. So whats a good brand? Thats cheap but also really good. I want to put a bigger blower later down the road maybe a vmp so i want the motor to be able to take the power

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what you need for a rebuild is gonna be dictated by future power goals. Figure out a realistic power number and they can help you spec a build from there. Building a mod motor typically isnt cheap though, would help to know what failed on the current motor/if anything is reusable.

cheap and very good typically dont go together unfortunately

MalcolmV8

Established Member
So whats a good brand? Thats cheap but also really good.

Hate to say it but those two don't go together. There's nothing cheap about building mod motors unfortunately, especially not strong ones for good amounts of boost.

You might check if Ford still offers the reman motors. Those were the most cost effective route for getting back up and running.

50hoes

Established Member
Hate to say it but those two don't go together. There's nothing cheap about building mod motors unfortunately, especially not strong ones for good amounts of boost.

You might check if Ford still offers the reman motors. Those were the most cost effective route for getting back up and running.

Well how much do you think a basic rebuild would cost? Or how much would it cost to rate my motor at 800hp because one of these days a blower swap is coming.

50hoes

Established Member
what you need for a rebuild is gonna be dictated by future power goals. Figure out a realistic power number and they can help you spec a build from there. Building a mod motor typically isnt cheap though, would help to know what failed on the current motor/if anything is reusable.

cheap and very good typically dont go together unfortunately

Nothing has failed on the motor YET, car still runs and everything but ive been getting alot of blow by so im guessing my rings are worn

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
for 800 you can probably just have the block, crank and rods checked. Upgrade the pistons, ARP 2000 rod bolts, ARP all the other things too, new oil pump with billet gears, have the heads gone through (new valve seats, especially on exhaust side) and just generally checked out. New timing components as well and of course now would be the time to do cams.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
What mileage does the motor have? You could get the block honed and re-ring it but really rings don't just wear away on their own. I'm guessing the rest of the motor is tired and in need of some refreshing.

For 800 HP you really don't need much. A stock motor with head studs will hold that. What fuel are you running or will be running?

50hoes

Established Member
What mileage does the motor have? You could get the block honed and re-ring it but really rings don't just wear away on their own. I'm guessing the rest of the motor is tired and in need of some refreshing.

For 800 HP you really don't need much. A stock motor with head studs will hold that. What fuel are you running or will be running?

Motor only has 51k miles and im running on a 93 pump gas tune rn

50hoes

Established Member
Well I guess then what happened that the rings are shot?

Idk yet the car still has the motor in it i just been getting alot of blow by so im guessing the rings are worn other than that no blue smoke out the exhaust and no power loss. I smash on the throttle and it still halls a**

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Motor only has 51k miles and im running on a 93 pump gas tune rn

Do yourself a favor and have a leakdown/compression test done before you call your motor junk. What's your definition of blow-by? Do you have smoke coming out of the tailpipes? It could be something as simple as oil getting into the intake from the PCV. Are you burning oil between changes?

50hoes

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and have a leakdown/compression test done before you call your motor junk. What's your definition of blow-by? Do you have smoke coming out of the tailpipes? It could be something as simple as oil getting into the intake from the PCV. Are you burning oil between changes?

Occasionally i do have white smoke coming out the tail pipes but other than that no and i have my car at Houston performance rn and they told me that i have excess air getting into the motor and they told me that usually happens when rings are worn and oil has been leaking out the air intake and everytime i open the dipstick or oil fill plug i see white smoke coming out

Users who are viewing this thread