Mother of all engine dyno explosions.

Recon

Established Member
Diesels can use enormous amount of boost. 146lbs is doable with those 3 turbos. Being it was 2100hp I can’t imagine the the torque that thing made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I think my old 400 Cummins back in the day maybe produced 30, but I’m not sure. There wasn’t any waste gates or anything.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And that's why you don't stand in the dyno room.

Anyhow, not sure the people who built that should be putting their names on the video. I doubt it'll drive much business.
I'll bet that's exactly what the guy behind the door was thinking what it went KABOOM! :eek:

_Snake_

Established Member
140+ lbs of boost in a diesel is definitely possible. I knew guys making 80-100 lbs in their street trucks.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Based on the number of cameras in the room, I'm guessing this was the expected outcome.

The engine owner was probably moving on to a whole new setup and just wanted to see how much that one would take before it popped. That's what I would do, if I knew I was going to be putting in a whole-new, oil-pan-to-valve-covers engine. "Let's turn up the boost and see how long she holds!" :)

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The engine owner was probably moving on to a whole new setup and just wanted to see how much that one would take before it popped. That's what I would do, if I knew I was going to be putting in a whole-new, oil-pan-to-valve-covers engine. "Let's turn up the boost and see how long she holds!" :)

That was my thought too. I'm cheap, so I probably would have sold it for whatever I could get out of it, but his way definitely produces significantly better videos.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Nobody in their right mind would willingly cause that much damage to their shop/engine dyno, etc.

There's plenty of info out there from these guys about what happened here.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/the-real-story-behind-firepunks-massive-dyno-explosion/

Users who are viewing this thread