Motec... is it the answer?

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Ok, well we seriously have a shortage of tuners out here.. SCT,Diablo, or sniper aren't softwares that dyno tuners here use.

Our best tuners only use the Motec software and Motec computer upgrade.

Anyway, I may be able to find the computer unit for fairly cheap. Has anyone done this mod before? I was told that this computer is able to tap into, and read all Ford computer functions and sensors. And is a much more efficient way to tune.

Seems to be the norm around here for all the japanese cars/suvs, so why not for the L?

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
Motec is one of the most expensive systems out there. Used by pro race teams.
I had the pleasure of working with it for a year. Tuners is UAE probably use the people out there have money to burn and its not even a issue. They just buy the best.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Khalid,

The Motec system is by far the most advanced and best aftermarket ECU on the market. One of the main reasons they are so popular in piggback applications, (what you would be using) is because they really do read any sensor, and I mean any. Any aftermarket or factory sensor can be read by the Motec ECU's. Some other brands require you to by sensors of their own brand or will only read certain factory sensors. This is the top of the line and is not necessarily needed though. But it helps if you find a local experienced tuner in your area that and see what he/she has experience with and then go from there. Ask their opinion. All you really need is a piggyback system to control all your engine functions like your all your spark and fuel tables and a few extra stuff, and the stock ECU will still control all your electronics like your power windows, seat, door locks and anti-theft system, braking and ABS, etc. So you have to take into consideration the price plus your tuners experience and what functions you actually need before you finally decide. Also, make sure your tuner explains to you why he/she suggests this brand or this model of ECU, you don't need the most expensive one or the the newest most high tech one for your application. The Motecs can run from only a couple thousand to over $100,000, so be careful. You might want to have your tuner also look into FAST, AEM, Autronic, Haltec, and MegaSquirt, too. There are lots and lots of choices out there. Hope that helps, Stan

Users who are viewing this thread