Most important external gauges

srtlat

Established Member
Just picked up a 03. Unfortunately it does not have any extras gauges.

What are the most essential gauges needed
Was going to go with
Wideband
Boost
Oil pressure

I can run water and volt on my handheld Bluetooth scanner.

Zemedici

Established Member
This is going to be a split answer crowd

There's guys that'll say gauges are just something cool to look at while you're sitting at a redlight, as if you're doing a pull, and you lose oil pressure you're not going to be able to react fast enough (usually) to save damage.

Others will disagree.

I'd want Wideband and that's it. You can tell if you lose an O2 sensor through wideband and do something about it.

If you lose oil pressure......uh oh.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I agree with Zemedici.

A wideband is a good one. You already have a factory boost and oil pressure gauge.

One thing to consider is the ALT gauge was removed to make room for the boost gauge from the factory. So, I would say consider getting and ALT gauge as these cars are prone to having alternator issues.

GodStang

Established Member
Wideband because a lot of them you can datalog off of for tuning purposes.

I have additional boost since stock does not go over 30lbs, fuel pressure and wideband. As said above if you are in full boost and you lose fuel pressure chances are you SOL.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
get an aeroforce interceptor and add a wideband. it takes some getting used to but it reads about anything including fuel pressure, and if you want you can add an oil pressure sensor too. they're kind of finiky but now that i've gotten used to it it's awesome. debating on selling my SOS pillar and not even messing with that b/c that can get expensive, but yes they sure do look cool at stop lights and car shows lol

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Depends how many gauges you want. I believe Air/Fuel (if you have been tuned and have multiple mods), and a voltage gauge are the big two in my opinion. That's why I like the Aeroforce Interceptor. I can have 4 readings from 2 gauges.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Air/fuel, aeroforce interceptor, and a Ray Hilton boost overlay so the stock remains useful when you port or swap blowers.

The J&S Vampire knock sensor seems really cool too, I don't have one tho.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I think the wideband is a good one. With Aeroforce - I do keep an eye on water temp, battery charge voltage, and AIT2 (charge temp).

Battery because we don't have anything that monitors voltage since we have a boost gauge instead. AIT2 (Charge Temp) is the only way I can get an indication that the intercooler pump is failing. Coolant temp - cause why not get familiar with the actual running temperatures the engine runs at instead of the dummy one on the instrument cluster.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i have an aeroforce with oil pressure and boost addons (since my mach doesnt have boost on the dash), dual wideband and then I also have the J&S safeguard/vampire combo gauge. While making a pull the J&S is the only thing I keep an eye out for.

svtl399

Established Member
Another good gauge to get if running stock fuel system is a fuel pressure gauge. That along with a wideband so you can watch for lean issues to possibly prevent melting a piston down

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I know I already replied but the Aeroforce can/will read all of that in one gauge. I have their wide band as well. I do not have an oil pressure auxillary sensor but it reads fuel pressure, AFR, water temp, fuel pump duty cycle, batt voltage, air intake temp, charge temp, trans temp, boost, and tons of other stuff if you want as well. That's your best bet to start OP is the Aeroforce Interceptor, then whatever wideband you want to add to it. I have mine mounted on the steering column with a pod I bought from LMR for $40.00

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
I have Aeroforce, just recently picked up the oil pressure sensor for it, please don't rely on that stock dummy gauge

Users who are viewing this thread