More paint defect woes...... :(

SicShelby09

Banned
So I was washing my car last night and came apon this. The fake side cowl has a flake missing from it...>?! I was going to blame rock chip, but there is no damage on or around it and not to mention its on the BACK of the cowl not facing forward. So otherwise, I would have had to be going very fast in reverse to get this one. Its going into the dealer for a few other little things today, but man Im glad I found this. They better warranty it. I have a few rock chips on the front bumper that I would never complain about, not to mention this looks nothing like those.

photo-3.jpg

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
So I was washing my car last night and came apon this. The fake side cowl has a flake missing from it...>?! I was going to blame rock chip, but there is no damage on or around it and not to mention its on the BACK of the cowl not facing forward. So otherwise, I would have had to be going very fast in reverse to get this one. Its going into the dealer for a few other little things today, but man Im glad I found this. They better warranty it. I have a few rock chips on the front bumper that I would never complain about, not to mention this looks nothing like those.

photo-3.jpg

I doubt they will warranty it. Remember that warranty implies the dealer will make the repair and get reimbursed by FMC. FMC is not going to pay a claim on a paint chip.

So it will be up to your dealer to eat the cost of repairing the chip.

SicShelby09

Banned
I doubt they will warranty it. Remember that warranty implies the dealer will make the repair and get reimbursed by FMC. FMC is not going to pay a claim on a paint chip.

So it will be up to your dealer to eat the cost of repairing the chip.

I thought I explained this pretty well in my OP, but I really dont see it as a paint chip. Its a flake missing with no damage on or around it. You can clearly see the primer shinning through and its also on the back side of it. Its totally NOT in line to where it could have been a chip. The bumper has a few small ones and they are unmistakable. They are divots in the paint, where the paint is pushed back where the rock hit. This is literally a flake missing. It shouldnt be hard to airbrush or expensive, but I shouldnt have to pay for it. If they deny it I will, but this is pretty clear cut. They would be nitpicking if they decide not to fix it.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
OMG that is terrible. I think you need to lemon law it and if that doesn't work go even in more debt and get another mustang.

SicShelby09

Banned
OMG that is terrible. I think you need to lemon law it and if that doesn't work go even in more debt and get another mustang.

I know you are joking, but this is bullsh!t. That last car I had needed the whole roof and pillars repainted. All the glass needed to be pulled and the color needed to be blended all over the car. And ford only wanted to pay $400 to have done. Nobody would touch it. What the hell else was I supposed to do?? Wasnt my fault. Now I have other paint issues from the factory I havent been bitching about, but this is not going to fly with me. If I had my way, I would just pull this cowls off but they are f*cking screwed to the car. So thats out.

SicShelby09

Banned
Could be a door ding. Just get you a bottle of touchup paint and fix it.

I have a bottle already, and its my last resort. Its a pretty big flake missing. The size of an eraser head. Thats going to be hard to make look nice with a brush. I would prefer a carnica airbrush touchup. that should be like $50 and take a few minutes.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I thought I explained this pretty well in my OP, but I really dont see it as a paint chip. Its a flake missing with no damage on or around it. You can clearly see the primer shinning through and its also on the back side of it. Its totally NOT in line to where it could have been a chip. The bumper has a few small ones and they are unmistakable. They are divots in the paint, where the paint is pushed back where the rock hit. This is literally a flake missing. It shouldnt be hard to airbrush or expensive, but I shouldnt have to pay for it. If they deny it I will, but this is pretty clear cut. They would be nitpicking if they decide not to fix it.

Yes, you were clear, however FMC is not going to "warranty" a flake/chip etc. BTW, paint can flake off of plastic relatively easily. My wife raised the rear of her Limited Expedition into the garage door leaving a paint chip missing similar to your example. You can't see any indication that the door was impacted and just the small area of missing paint.

It could be from someone whacking it with their door in a parking lot.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
dude its a rock chip from a rock that some how made its way from the back tires. just b/c there isnt damage around it doenst mean it isnt a rock chip. its part of having a car just get some touch up paint and touch it up. trust me iv been around paint and body for all of my short 26yrs of life. its a rock chip.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
I know you are joking, but this is bullsh!t. That last car I had needed the whole roof and pillars repainted. All the glass needed to be pulled and the color needed to be blended all over the car. And ford only wanted to pay $400 to have done. Nobody would touch it. What the hell else was I supposed to do?? Wasnt my fault. Now I have other paint issues from the factory I havent been bitching about, but this is not going to fly with me. If I had my way, I would just pull this cowls off but they are f*cking screwed to the car. So thats out.

Yea, but see the other side. That is a plastic piece and a rock will not cause an indention like it would metal. The paint itself is actually the weak link here, and it gave away. I have a similar chip right above my sideskirt on the drivers side. Rocks can come at you from a side angle. If you feel that strongly about it, you can just pull those side scoops off and have them repainted with a couple layers. Just my suggestion.

SicShelby09

Banned
Yea, but see the other side. That is a plastic piece and a rock will not cause an indention like it would metal. The paint itself is actually the weak link here, and it gave away. I have a similar chip right above my sideskirt on the drivers side. Rocks can come at you from a side angle. If you feel that strongly about it, you can just pull those side scoops off and have them repainted with a couple layers. Just my suggestion.

I just talked to three local body shops and they all said around $200 to respray the whole scoop. They all agreed that it wouldnt look good otherwise. This just sucks. I really try very hard to avoid all road hazards, dont follow close and generally take great care of my paint. Then this kinda shit happens. My old work cars that I would beat on to 100K miles never took body damage like this. And this car only has 4500 miles. All of which are pleasure miles. Not really commuting.

:fm:

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
I have a chip on the back of
My hood that I got back when I first got it that I wasnt happy about. To this day I think it's a great car but some of the quality is questionable

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I have a bottle already, and its my last resort. Its a pretty big flake missing. The size of an eraser head. Thats going to be hard to make look nice with a brush. I would prefer a carnica airbrush touchup. that should be like $50 and take a few minutes.

You can make it look good if you do it the right way, which is wet sanding and polishing. Here's a story...

I had my car parked at my father house for a weekend while I was out of town. I parked the car behind and to the left of the boat. My dad has tire chalks for the boat trailer that stay in the same spot, so that way when the tire hits, he knows he's good to start unhooking the boat from the truck. Well, my step mom was backing him in one day and she say the tire chalks as an obstruction, so she moved it out of the way, pair that with her not paying attention and the trim tab ended up in my front bumper (those not familiar with boats, it's a flap that about 12" and 1/8 thick stainless steel that has a hydraulic ram attached to it, moves up and down to move the bow of the boat up/down depending on the surf). Took quite a bit of paint off, and I was pretty upset. Well, my dad said he would take care of it, and the touch up paint worked perfect, after the wet sanding and clearing, etc. Couldn't even tell anything happened.

In closing, a little elbow grease with touch up paint will make it look like nothing happened.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
You put 4500 miles on the car and you expect the dealership to now fix what you think is a paint flaw? GOOD LUCK! Should've inspected the car when you picked it up. That's your fault.

SicShelby09

Banned
You put 4500 miles on the car and you expect the dealership to now fix what you think is a paint flaw? GOOD LUCK! Should've inspected the car when you picked it up. That's your fault.

No. This just showed up. It didnt happen when new. When the hell did I say that? Anyway. It didnt look like a chip, and thats why I KNOW the dealer should take care of it. If you had paint flaking off your car, it would be covered depending on what it looked like and where it was. If they can justify that its a rock chip, then I will pay. If they think its not a chip, then it should be covered just like anyother part of the car.

grnenvy

Established Member
I have owned many expensive cars and my stang has one of the best paint jobs. Not a bit of orange peel or thin paint spots. The clear was sprayed perfectly.
Only problem is I f-ck it up more then my two kids.

Users who are viewing this thread