More paint defect woes...... :(

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
No. This just showed up. It didnt happen when new. When the hell did I say that? Anyway. It didnt look like a chip, and thats why I KNOW the dealer should take care of it. If you had paint flaking off your car, it would be covered depending on what it looked like and where it was. If they can justify that its a rock chip, then I will pay. If they think its not a chip, then it should be covered just like anyother part of the car.

No, you're going to have to prove to them it's not a rock chip, which you can't. If they do eat it, it's out of their own good will which they shouldn't have to.

mcduffer7

Established Member
I just talked to three local body shops and they all said around $200 to respray the whole scoop. They all agreed that it wouldnt look good otherwise. This just sucks. I really try very hard to avoid all road hazards, dont follow close and generally take great care of my paint. Then this kinda shit happens. My old work cars that I would beat on to 100K miles never took body damage like this. And this car only has 4500 miles. All of which are pleasure miles. Not really commuting.

:fm:

Damn, $200 to respray one little scoop? Glad I know people that paint but still that sounds a little high priced for 1 scoop.

SicShelby09

Banned
The adhesive took two hours to remove. I tried simple green, goo gone and wd 40. Nothing really worked well accept using a dry rag and just rubbing the glue until it gummed up. Then the goo gone would take it off pretty easy. But initially when I got the scoops off, the tape was pretty much still there, not just the adhesive. And the chemicals wouldnt even penetrate the tape. The first half of the job was getting the tape off to expose the adhesive. Then taking that off. This was a super hard job to do. The scoops took 3 minutes to get off with the fishing line, the tape was another 3 hours. Shit that was not fun.

Anyone wanna buy them for cheap. The drivers side one is perfect, and you can see the passenger side one.

wazslow

Established Member
Well I bought some 14lbs fishing line and went after them. And they are indeed held on with nothing more than tape. Now getting the adhesive off the car is becoming a real pain.

In the future, NAPA sells a wheel that you attach to a drill and it takes all that stuff off in 2 minutes. Its awesome for removing any badges or anything like that! Best $40 I ever spent, used it alot already.

acrbill

Established Member
haha you really are going a bang up job of making your CS into a regular GT. 50 years from now someone is going to be super excited that they just bought a CS that looks like a regular GT.

When I bought my 2007 it had these God awful stripes. I pulled them off incorrectly and left all the adhesive behind. I used every trick in the book and the adhesive just would not come off. I ended up buying a very expensive can of 3M adhesive remover that took it off pretty easy. I just used a credit card as a scraper.

SicShelby09

Banned
haha you really are going a bang up job of making your CS into a regular GT. 50 years from now someone is going to be super excited that they just bought a CS that looks like a regular GT.

When I bought my 2007 it had these God awful stripes. I pulled them off incorrectly and left all the adhesive behind. I used every trick in the book and the adhesive just would not come off. I ended up buying a very expensive can of 3M adhesive remover that took it off pretty easy. I just used a credit card as a scraper.

LOL I know. I would really prefer all the regular GT stuff, but I LOVE the CS interior. If I could find someone with the regular trunk/spoiler/sirius wart I would trade in a minute. I hate that spoiler too. But Im happy with the front end and the rear defuser.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
In the future, NAPA sells a wheel that you attach to a drill and it takes all that stuff off in 2 minutes. Its awesome for removing any badges or anything like that! Best $40 I ever spent, used it alot already.

This! Eraser wheel ftw!!

Users who are viewing this thread