More "C" head question's

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
There is so much mis/information on these heads that I would like to get a couple of things clarified. What causes them to get "The Tick"? Do all 99-03 4V heads only have four threads for the spark plugs?

SVTeeshirt

Established Member
IIRC its due to a coolant flow shortage, but im not 100% so don't quote me, i got some reproduction 01 heads and I think they have 8 threads in the head, if no one else can verify i'll go check as they are not installed yet.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
So if they get the tick can they be repaired? If you do get a chance to count the threads I would appreciate it.

SVTeeshirt

Established Member
So if they get the tick can they be repaired? If you do get a chance to count the threads I would appreciate it.

I don't think so, i think once they get the tick they are fubar'd, Possibly if you replace the valvetrain but again not sure on that, not sure it would be worth it. Im about to run for the evening and i work in the morning, at latest i will check tomorrow after work if no one else knows for sure.

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
A couple different theories on what causes the tick, but if I'm not mistaken it's from the #7/8 valve guides coming loose from heat. You replace those and put a coolant exit on the back of that head and your fixed.

jumperjack

Established Member
A couple different theories on what causes the tick, but if I'm not mistaken it's from the #7/8 valve guides coming loose from heat. You replace those and put a coolant exit on the back of that head and your fixed.
+1 on the valve guides being the cause.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
-too much valve guide clearance causes the tick, 03/04s only
-the early 03/04 had cooling issues, the redesigned head that came out in late 04 is good
-there is nothing wrong with 4 thread heads, all "B" and 99/01 heads would be no good if that was the case

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
-too much valve guie clearance causes the tick, 03/04s only
-the early 03/04 had cooling issues, the redesigned head that came out in late 04 is good.
-there is nothing wrong with 4 thread heads, all B head and 99/01 heads would be no good if that was the case

Thank you to the walking 4V encyclopedia:rockon: That clears up a lot of things I had read elsewhere.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Any reason to not put the cooling mod on the newer, redesigned heads?

There is no negatives to doing a cooling mod. It's kinda like buying a teksid block when a WAP would suffice, head studs on a low boost or n/a combo, going with #10 fuel line when a #8 would have supported more than enough power, installing a Fluidyne radiator when the stock unit cooled just fine, and lastly buying a forged crank when a cast crank will hold the power. Most people would call the overkill "insurance". Me, I like bang for the buck, if it's not needed, I don't install it. Rant over...

With that, I have an inexpensive cooling mod. I'll email you the pics if I can find your email address.

Users who are viewing this thread